GRS Oiled Laminate Stock and Ballistol for Occasional Wipe

Toxster

Anyone here have a GRS oiled laminate stock? The instructions say to oil 2 to 3 times a year. I bought some Ballistol but all the info. talks about oiling and sanding which seems a tad excessive, when all I'm trying to do is maintain the stock, not refurbish it.

Just changed my laminate Sako stock to a laminate KKC stock - see Brock and Norris thread in this section for pictures. I have a Nightforce scope with large objective so needed the raised comb.
Having spoken with the the stock supplier, Jacksons, they advised using Danish oil. I got some and applied 3 coats as suggested- 20min wait, 20min wait etc. and leave for 24hrs - easy. I got the oil from this guy danish-oil.com who seemed to know his stuff. If your stock is new and clean I don't think you would need to prep it any further, I didn't and i am very happy with the result! You could always call and check with Jacksons as they were very helpful and will probably advise. The application method options are also on the web. When applied the wood grain visually stands out a little better, it is very slightly darker (the oil is clear) it gives a matt sheen but on my stock is not oily to handle. Not sure how the cost stacks up against the other oil. Worth a look as an option!

Last edited:
Anyone here have a GRS oiled laminate stock? The instructions say to oil 2 to 3 times a year. I bought some Ballistol but all the info. talks about oiling and sanding which seems a tad excessive, when all I'm trying to do is maintain the stock, not refurbish it.

Dont use Ballistol it is a maintenance oil and will not do your stock finish any good, oiling and sanding refers to the initial oiling and finishing of a new untreated stock, not the upkeep of a rifle stock.
Use a good hard paste furniture wax on your stock IMO this will give you better protection and a nicer feel then regularly oiling your stock which will eventually become saturated, blotchy, shiny and sticky to the touch.

Ian.

Use a good hard paste furniture wax on your stock IMO this will give you better protection and a nicer feel then regularly oiling your stock which will eventually become saturated, blotchy, shiny and sticky to the touch.

Ian.

I have a new GRS stock, so very interested in this. Any recommendations as to what product to go for ?

Cheers
Malc

I have a new GRS stock, so very interested in this. Any recommendations as to what product to go for ?

Cheers
Malc

I have had a GRS stock for my Tac for 4 years and one for my R93 two years - never touched them and they are both as good as the days I took charge of them.

I'm liking the sound of Whitebeard's waxing comments. I have a couple of tubs of pure beeswax from beeworld (or somesuch) when I was on holiday...

The GRS info. linked to by Southern just states the usual oil/sand etc which seems excessive. I was thinking about something like 50/50 oil to white spirit? I guess that might be useful if it's dirty, but then if kept waxed I guess it won't get dirty.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the kind of oil finish which is on the GRS, so don't want to recommend a particular product or process.

In a recent thread of protecting wood stocks with oil or varnish finishes, and blued steel, from wet days afield, I posted several waxes and oils which work, and why beeswax and others do not. I was looking at a Sako L61R with an oil finish and some water spotting just this weekend - sorely tempted to buy and gently bring it back without refinishing.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....s?p=1086174&highlight=oil+beeswax#post1086174

Ok, in the end I settled on the Ballistoil/ Balsin, the lightest of wipings was spot on for what I wanted. It soaked in and polished up like a true oil and not like a vanish, perfect for an occasional wipe over.

I have one and when bought, the factory finish was pretty dire, so sanded it smooth and applied 4 or 5 coats of Liberon finishing oil. It has a lovely finish now and will only need an occasional wipe with some lemon oil to condition it.

Back