Breaking in new rifle

Msdt601119

I've just been out with a new howa in 243 win. It groups within the inch with 3 shots but then I will go back to the rifle 10 mins later and fire another 3, same group size but off to the left by 2 inch and up 2 inch. I re zero and same happens. I'm using win xp 95 grain . Could this be caused by the barrel getting hot? Shot 40 in 2 hours with cleaning in between. I just can't get a constant group around the center.

Last edited:
I've just been out with a new howa in 243 win. It groups within the inch with 3 shots but then I will go back to the rifle 10 mins later and fire another 3, same group size but off to the left by 2 inch and up 2 inch. I re zero and same happens. I'm using win xp 95 grain . Could this be caused by the barrel getting hot? Shot 40 in 2 hours with cleaning in between. I just can't get a constant group around the center.
I doubt it. If the scope isn't suspect it's probably you. Are you getting a good cheek weld and getting your eye in the same place behind the scope each time?~Muir

Try firing slowly, allowing the barrel to cool after each shot, then see if you still get a double group. If you do its likely to be bedding or scope..

40 shots in 2 hours is fast? Check the torque on the action screws, fumbling around cleaning it may be causing movement. Try shooting without the cleaning in between.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a brno 308 , turned out the stock didnt fit me, could not get to the same position every time when shooting, as yours is a new rifle would check attachment fixings first, as mentioned above, but consider stock fit ,,,,,,is it easy to get on target every time,,, or do you have to faf about, if so maybe a cheeck piece will help you, or a visit to a range with shooting instructers may help to point out the problem
hope you get this sorted
Cheers
Ray

I've found if cheek weld is the issue then it results in bad grouping, rather than good groups shifting about. Could you have a similarly competent person try the rifle to take you out of the equation?

Last edited:
I've found if cheek weld is the issue then it results in bad grouping, rather than good groups shifting about. Could you have a similarly competent person try the rifle to take you out of the equation?
I've found this with no cheek weld, but an inconsistently placed cheek weld (different spot for each group) will shuffle groups. I agree though, have someone else try it.~Muir

I've found this with no cheek weld, but an inconsistently placed cheek weld (different spot for each group) will shuffle groups. I agree though, have someone else try it.~Muir

+1

Going back and re-shooting could mean you're placing your cheek on a slightly different position each time which can affect parallax or image centre, throwing rounds off from the initial group. Try placing rounds next to you, allowing a few minutes between each and fire a 6 to 9 shot group without altering cheek position if possible. You need to be lining your eye up in exactly the same spot each time for consistency in grouping. I recently ruined some groups fired in a friendly competition by shifting cheek position unknowingly which threw the groups off by 3/4 inch at 100 yards. Of course, this implies that you've already checked bedding screws and scope fixings. If initial groups are spot on, then I doubt it would be the scope.

I had the same problem with a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I used to allow it to cool for 15 mins. between shots, which helped but the problem was always there and it always irritated me until I sold it.

If after checking the scope, its not you etc. and you can, send the rifle back and get a refund - I wish I could have done so with my Tikka T3 in .308. It is very disappointing to get this problem after buying a brand new rifle.

There are many rifles that do not significantly shoot in a different place hot or cold, try and find one, it is worth it.

I have had in the past a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 x 55 Swedish and a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Win. both of which held zero or near enough, hot or cold. It is not necessarily the make that has the problem, it can be just the rifle.

Last edited:
We are talking about low price stalking rifles here ie Howa and Tikka t3 lite, the tikka is particularly designed for single shot shooting ,( that's all it takes to kill game) the flitted barrel is to save weight not aid cooling, curious why are you shooting 40 rounds in 2hrs, stalking rifles will normally be shot cold, I would say your problem is as much familiarity with your rifle as anything else, a rifle should come up like part of your arm. Remember most rifles will shoot better if you do your part.

40 rounds in 2 hours is a lot circa 1 shot every 3 minutes I bet that barrel was very hot indeed

I've got a Mauser 6.5 X 55 I don't think I've put 40 rounds thru it in 2 years and it shoots to poa everytime

for stalking you want the first cold barrel shot to be zero then take another shot with in 10 minutes to see where that goes which should be near as dammit to the first if not touching that simulates 2 kills as realistic as you'll get

that's it that's all your interested in there's no need to try a 3,5 or 10 shot groups

Get the rifle properly bedded, well free floating and see that your scope/mounts are good. If you have an injection moulded plastic stock get something else. Even wood bedded will be a step ahead. At the moment many 243 rifles seem to shoot the sako 70gr bt factory ammo really well. Try a box. My T3 loves it.

edi

If it has the houge rubber stock,check the front of the forend to make sure it's not contacting the barrel. Mine was when I rested on the bipod. If your quite handy,you could cut the rubber away then sand it to blend it in. I did mine the full length of the barrel chanel, so I could be sure no contact would be made.

Sorry, but 40 rounds in 2 hours is not a lot. Modern metallurgy is more than capable of coping with this. Check out how many rounds companies like Sauer let people put through their rifles during test sessions etc and you will realise that your rifle can take a lot of abuse! There is way too much waffle on the web on this and similar subjects. Stop treating a rifle like a piece of porcelain. It's harder than you are!

I was very pleased with the performance of my new Howa. MOA accuracy at 100yds out of the box without tweaking suited me during set-up.
Then I took it to Bisley to see what it could do at longer range. Disaster. It shot all over the card with no logic.
I was extremely disheartened on the journey home thinking that somehow I had bought a "lemon".
Whilst cleaning I thought I detected movement from the action/barrel. On checking, sure enough, both screws were loose.
After tightening to the proper torque it was back to MOA/subMOA.
Check those action screws first.

After reading this my first thought is why on earth should the buyer of the new rifle have then to have the stock bedded to get the rifle to shoot peoperly???

This must mean that the rifle is defective from the factory? :doh:.................. And why are people accecpting this as "normal"??:rolleyes:

All sorted now. I took the gun to pieces and discovered the base screws were all loose. Changed them for a 2 piece base which is lower anyway so I can get more cheek weld. Put it all back togeather and now it shooting less than 10mm at 100 yards. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Beretta Australia will test your gun if you claim it cannot shoot MoA at 100 yards with premium factory ammo. The general manager has told me out of the tens of thousands sold and the few hundred with accuracy issues less than a few have turned out to be duds and were replaced under warranty.

What range and what scope?

Back