Subsonic 22lr

Greener Jim

Like many I use Winnie 40gr subs for my rabbit shooting and I absolutely love 'em.
However last time I bought some I tried the 42gr and I hate them! I heart lung shoot most of mine since I don't eat the front half anyway (dog does) and with the 40gr they just fell over and rarely twitched.
50 rabbits later and the 42gr just aren't as good, I've had runners and some which twitch for ages all despite perfect placement.

Now I can't get the 40gr so going to try either Eley, CCI (non-segmented) or SK as that's what me dealer has in stock.
Many recommendations?

You are SO lucky to have any rabbits at all. Hardly ever see one now & there aren't enough to consider shooting one. Must be nearly 10 years since I had a day at the rabbits.

Fortunately one of my permissions is swarming with the blighters!!!

Oh my RFD has the fiocchi in so I may give them a try. What's the terminal effect like? Tried heart lung shots?

Now I can't get the 40gr so going to try either Eley, CCI (non-segmented) or SK as that's what me dealer has in stock.
Many recommendations?

The SK subs are superb very accurate and deadly in my Brno as this fox will testify at circa 170yds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi Jim.

I find the CCI HP subs are very similar to the Winnie 40grs. Shoot to the same point and seem to kill rabbits just the same.. Very clean shooting round too.
Thats through my Anschutz.

cjs

How much hold over did that require, Lucky??~Muir

On the wide duplex reticle the top of the bottom thick post was just coming up to the top of the fox's back.

it just so happened the fox stopped about 45yds beyond a 6" steel plate I had practiced on a while back so i knew fairly accurately how much holder was required.

If you get the chance, try some RWS subs - these have been superb through my Anschutz, head shooting at 60yds

If you get the chance, try some RWS subs - these have been superb through my Anschutz, head shooting at 60yds

They are about the lowest powered rounds out there, mind. My Anschutz 525 cycles them fine, though, and they are consistent.

On the wide duplex reticle the top of the bottom thick post was just coming up to the top of the fox's back.

it just so happened the fox stopped about 45yds beyond a 6" steel plate I had practiced on a while back so i knew fairly accurately how much holder was required.

That's the same hold I take with my Leupold 4X at 100 yards using HV 40 grain. That duplex reticle is useful like that, isn't it??~Muir

They are about the lowest powered rounds out there, mind. My Anschutz 525 cycles them fine, though, and they are consistent.

i didn't think there was much in it between the subs? All rocking along at around 1060fps? I like the 40g winchesters, don't get me wrong but the RWS burn more efficiently for me.

Just as an aside, a friend mentioned to me that the 42g winchesters were ever so slightly longer, causing problems in his semi-auto

They are designed to be quiet. Certainly lower power on my chronograph but more than enough to kill a bunny

i didn't think there was much in it between the subs? All rocking along at around 1060fps? I like the 40g winchesters, don't get me wrong but the RWS burn more efficiently for me.

Just as an aside, a friend mentioned to me that the 42g winchesters were ever so slightly longer, causing problems in his semi-auto

My SK subs were doing between 950 - 980fps last time I checked them

Back