have many of you built your own gun?

paddy

am in two minds whether to buy a custom gun or a accuracy international ae or build my own gun. it will be used to hit paper a lot and stalking. i will only be stalking maybe 3 times a year as i can not afford to do it any more than that .

I'm considering building one myself. There are a good few Mausers about over here for £50 or so (both sportered Kar98s and Otterup M/69s), and I think it could be fun to try building one into a half decent rifle (both for stalking and the range).

There are number of users on a Danish forum who have made 'Tactical Otterups'. Here is a link to a thread if you are interested: Nordisk VÃ¥benforum Vis emne - Otterup Tactical Rifle - 6.5x55mm

Edit: A project like this might leave you enough money to go stalking a bit more often too! ;)

I have a full size 22rf stalking rifle which I built on an Mod 2 Brno. I did a bit of fettling and polishing with the action, but the main job was to build a full size stock from a piece of cherry wood that I had - indeed it came from a cherry tree I had to cut down at home. It has the weight and balance of my Heym SR20, but in 22 rf and I love it. The stock work took me a while, but very satisfying.

what about a sako75 short action from say a .243, buy a mcmillan sako stock and have it pillar and glass bedded, fine tune the trigger. Install a 22"-24" semi sporter barrel chambered in 6.5 hornady creedmoor, have it threaded for both over barrel moderator purposes and for muzzle brake purposes. stick a pic'y rail on it and have the barrelled action duracoated/cerakoated in matt black, but the stock in a nice dark hunter green. stick a medium harris swivel bipod on it. I would also stick a 2ndary sling swivel stud and install a traditional US army 3-point sling. much match shooting and stalking could be done with this setup without looking a t1t on either side of the fence.

scope wise I'd say S&B PM11, but failing that on the budget, a leupold MK4 ER/T 4.5-14X50

just a thought:stir:

I know where there is a stainless sako 75 long action bedded into a mcmillan sporter stock.
that needs a rebarrel. 650 and its yours. The stock and bedding cost close to that. Never mind the action.

Spend another 700 on it for rebarrel and full bead blast and you have a new barreled semi custom bedded rifle
in a calibre of your choice. Of course thats if you want a long action calibre

its a good thot other than the 6.5 part

well the world's your oyster, .308 would be a good choice too - I just picked the 6.5 HCM because it can handle anything from fox to red stags - perhaps too small for boar or larger NA game, but a true do-it-all round is hard to find, maybe .270 or 7mm then

I'm considering building one myself. There are a good few Mausers about over here for £50 or so (both sportered Kar98s and Otterup M/69s), and I think it could be fun to try building one into a half decent rifle (both for stalking and the range).

There are number of users on a Danish forum who have made 'Tactical Otterups'. Here is a link to a thread if you are interested: Nordisk VÃ¥benforum Vis emne - Otterup Tactical Rifle - 6.5x55mm

Edit: A project like this might leave you enough money to go stalking a bit more often too! ;)

I have built many project rifles. It's pretty rewarding. One of my favorites was a single shot cast-bullet bench rest rifle in 30-30 Winchester on a Swede 96 action. It had a heavy Douglas barrel, a speed lock and a timney trigger. I took several 1st places in local matches 100 and 200M matches with it.

Neat link. My translation skills are nil but under "inspiration", the author isn't calling that Tacted-Out Savage a Remington 700 is he??:eek:~Muir

I have built many project rifles. It's pretty rewarding. One of my favorites was a single shot cast-bullet bench rest rifle in 30-30 Winchester on a Swede 96 action. It had a heavy Douglas barrel, a speed lock and a timney trigger. I took several 1st places in local matches 100 and 200M matches with it.

Neat link. My translation skills are nil but under "inspiration", the author isn't calling that Tacted-Out Savage a Remington 700 is he??:eek:~Muir

He is indeed. Well spotted! The Savage barrel nut is a dead giveaway, but I must admit that I hadn't noticed it.

You should extend your liking of the "idea" of a Savage to some actual trigger time. Not only would you appreciate that they are marvelously accurate rifles, and exceeding reliable, but you would also know that that "hideous safety catch" is actually the bolt release and it is in fact, quite substantial.:D ~Muir

(The safety is thumb operated and on the tang.)

Last edited:
You should extend your liking of the "idea" of a Savage to some actual trigger time. Not only would you appreciate that they are marvelously accurate rifles, and exceeding reliable, but you would also know that that "hideous safety catch" is actually the bolt release and it is in fact, quite substantial.:D ~Muir

(The safety is thumb operated and on the tang.)

More's the pity then. For me life's too short to play with ugly rifles, and the cheapness of that catch makes the Savage a minger in my eyes.

ive done exactly both options in the past

firstly getting a long action sako 75 and re barrelling and and new stock and reworking the action where iit needed it, in to a 32 " f class 6.5-284 total cost £2300

then going the full custom bat action f class stock heavy barrel total cost £4300

and to be honest i loved every moment of organising both and working with the riflesmith (-neil mckillop) who done the work for me with outstanding results

both projects took over 12 months as i did them as i could affoord them

presenlty i am rebarrelling and restocking the sako with DannyT from ukv towrads a superfast 6mm super lr

happy days

but i diod notice the op did say hecouldnt afford to go stalking as much as hed like, spend less on the rifle buy going semi custom and get out there more

you are more than willing to give us a ring if you want a chat about ideas and any help i can give just ask

More's the pity then. For me life's too short to play with ugly rifles, and the cheapness of that catch makes the Savage a minger in my eyes.

Define "cheapness"? I can tell you that it is a far more substantial piece of iron than the bit of bent sheet metal Remington hides inside the trigger guard of their 700's. If you don't like the location, then that is another issue entirely. Other people must have objected to that because on the newer models like my LHR, they have re-engineered it. It is a button you must push while simultaneously pulling the trigger. A real pain in the a$$ if you ask me but it is what it is.

There is a beauty in performance. (Blasers are a repulsive rifle to me but try telling that to their owners!) My Savages are without a doubt, the most accurate factory weapons I have shot. My 25 year old .223 will shoot in the quarter-inch range, my 10" barreled 22WMR handgun will shoot .6" at 100M, and my 308 Long Range Hunter (a really ugly rifle) will put 20 shots inside a beer bottle cap with the right shooter behind the trigger.

I also like pretty rifles and have a few but when you need to place a bullet with absolute authority, Savage rifles will get it done, and in the end, that's all I really care about.~Muir

Not many Savages around our area. I won a Savage Stevens 308 once. Cheap rifle and looks cheap too...but they thought of pressing in some steel pillars into their plastic stock, something that remmy, tikka, howa or even sako dont manage. At least the action screws can be tightened up without loosing tension. We never fired the savage as it was only after free floating and reinforecing the forend so that it could take a bipod. The rifle shot and still shoots very well.

The only rifle I shoot that hasn't been customised and won't be, is the 30-30 Winchester Lever action.

I am still building on my mauser which is a bunch of work. Can't wait to shoot it.
I am getting a barrel fitted to a remington action to make myself a carbon barrel ultra light tactical.
My son is getting a 243 barrel fitted to a howa action for his first build. He has made himself his stock already
which only weighs 16 oz out of the mould.
So three projects in our workshop at the moment.
edi

Once again, that's not the safety catch, it's the bolt release catch. Until you've handled and shot a Savage probably you'll never know how well they shoot. The engineering and build quality is excellent and the accuracy superlative. I have custom rifles that shoot consistently into less than .5" at a 100 yards, but my fiancee's factory Savage matches them day in day out.

jay 22 thanx for the offer but am after a short action. where do you's buy your action's?

I justcome across them mate. I have a couple of rfd friends. Who sometimes will message me asking if I know anyone who is looking for a action

paddy, why not buy a cheap old parker hale with a good mauser action and do a custom build from that? they're brilliant actions and from there on out the rest of the build is all your own design.

Back