Wanted: Rabbit, fox, pigeon in Bulford/Tidworth/Amesbury region

308tikka

Hello

Id be interested in any opportunities for rabbit and fox control, especially on game shoots where members do not have the time/resources. Also pigeon opportunities. Im in the Tidworth area, but am able and willing to travel. Rifle and shotgun. Thanks

It's an uphill battle, very little round here....you need to get out and knock on doors. It took me ages....and I only have a small permission.

I've been here for years and the ground I used to have, where I was given permission to shoot on by the owners of my age, permission has now been withdrawn because their offspring have grown up and taken it on themselves or given it to their school chums.
So keep trying, you might strike lucky one day but I have now given up trying locally.
Interestingly you state in your Avatar that you are living in Surrey Heath but then go on to say you are looking for opportunities local to Tidworth, are you military, is 1342 your first four ;) ?

I've been here for years and the ground I used to have, where I was given permission to shoot on by the owners of my age, permission has now been withdrawn because their offspring have grown up and taken it on themselves or given it to their school chums.
So keep trying, you might strike lucky one day but I have now given up trying locally.
Interestingly you state in your Avatar that you are living in Surrey Heath but then go on to say you are looking for opportunities local to Tidworth, are you military, is 1342 your first four ;) ?

lol try my last four.....

I'm moving soon down toward Portsmouth/Fareham so I'm hoping to have more luck there :)

Have you not applied for a pottering licence for SPTA? Plenty of pigeons, rabbits etc on there! DDM could also be a possibility if you have the time left and are prepared to put in the effort to get qualified?

Thanks for replies Gents. I am in surrey on weekends mainly, though this will change over winter. I am serving in the Forces and am a DDM member but not on SPTA. Is the pottering licence on SPTA only through the Infantry shoot at Warminster or are there other shoots to join/get licence for? I am mainly on the eastern side, so if there was anything around Bulford ranges, id happily stopoff to/from work.

Hi 308Tikka, Welcome to the site.
Yes there is a Bulford and Tidworth shoot, an Upavon shoot and a Netheravon shoot.
I have been out of circulation for too long now to be able to give you any contacts but if you are out and about you are sure to meet somebody that is either a member or knows a member.
As for the DDM, if you are a member speak to the Larkhill Centre PDM and ask for a list of members, he will also know the names of the members on the East, you may know someone and they will be able to take you out.
I used to have a friend that I introduced to Stalking with DDM from novice to full member who has since been posted but I have heard he is back here with a Larkhill member stalking on Salisbury Plain so you may get some stalking in that way.
Good luck.

I believe that the pottering Licenses come from Westdown Camp? A phone call to the guardroom should get you put through to the right department? I don't think that you need to be part of the game shoots to hold a pottering license either?
Baguio

Safety brief is done from Westdown.
The pottering shoot is simply the vermin side of the game shoots so you will need to join the Netheravon shoot (vermin) to get on there.
It is no where near the price of game shoot. Around the £40 mark if memory serves and runs Feb to August. The Bulford and Tidworth Garrison shoot no longer have a vermin shoot if they still shoot at all.
There is a waiting list on the Netheravon shoot although if you are still serving you may get in quicker.
Dersbum

The RA shoot has pottering licences which are nothing to do with Vermin other than if you get the opportunity to shoot any while pottering.
The pottering licence allows you to shoot a certain amount of Game -Pheasants, Partridges etc.

Many thanks. Yes, still serving. Ive tried contacting the Warminster Infantry shoot and Bulford Tidworth without reply/no answer/disconnected number, although the plain is busy so Im not surprised. The shoot on Bulford stopped vermin control? They have just trained landmarc staff to do moles, and pretty infested with rabbit. Might just apply to Netheravon/Upavon although the Bulford shoot would be extremely convenient. Thanks for tip.

Back