pre WWII period Merkel

Patrick A

I need a little advice, I have been offered a nice pre-war Merkel over and under 9.3x74R boxlock ejector rifle. It is in good order, shoots well, it fitted with a nice, modern, Zeiss illuminated scope with quickly detachable mounts. It is nicely cased with a nice range of accessories.

The gunsmith has offered to extend and refinish the stock for me and adjust the case as needed and engrave the pistol grip cap. The action retains a reasonable amount of the original colour hardening.

What should I be paying for this? I do like the rifle but do not want to over pay, I believe that the earlier Merkels are more sought-after than the modern ones?

York guns have a very tidy one for sale £3995 without optics. Not sure how old but probably DDR vintage. Hope this gives you a starting point, as you noted the pre-war model can bring a premium.

As an aside nothing compares to bowling over your first boar with a double, especially open sighted. Get it and enjoy! Chris.

This is the one I have seen, the stock might be a little nicer than the York guns one and I quite like the more classical engraving. My only issue is the price difference at about £1,000.

L1030747.JPG

The best guide are probably are the Auction Houses - Holts usually have a few German / Austrian over and Under double rifles in their sales. Go and have a look through the archives - Double rifles and you will get a good indication of prices. Most 9.3x74r Boxlocks seen to make £1,700 to £2,000 to which you need to add in 20% buyers premium, so you would need to write a cheque for £2,000 to £2,500 - No Items Found : Holts Auctioneers.

Pre-war ones were good, but they all have a pretty good reputation. Most that I have looked at have been tight and solid with nice crips bores - they don't get many rounds through them in the greater scheme of things and that kirsten bolting is very strong and the 9.3x74r is quite a low pressure round.

They do tend to make better money in the US. Also have a look at eGun.de.

The fact that yours is fitted with a good modern scope is a real bonus, as it can be somewhat costly to have new mounts etc fitted.

And to put it into perspective a new Merkel double 9.3x74R starts at Euro 6,200 and the add in a further Euro1,500 plus for a scope and mounts. The older ones are much nicer.

J Roberts and son have a pre-war one in stock and have had in for a while priced at £6,200 or so - J Roberts Son

My view - if you like it, it fits and you can afford the asking price / can get it to an affordable price, and the gunsmith will fit it to you then cry once (as you pay for it) and enjoy it.

I think Heym SR 20 has got it spot on.
That looks like a lovely gun.
Merkel seems to be much more valued by the Americans whether sg or rifle. There have been a lot of these offered at Holt's with quite a few not selling. I would not buy one as an investment, the market for them is too small in the UK. As a "keeper" to enjoy, by all means buy it. They are cheaper here than on the continent and the US, which begs the question, why so many turn up here at auction?

There aren't actually that many. I scour the auction listings looking for drillings and really, if those are most of the ones that are up for sale in the UK, they remain a rarity. But you're right, I don't know why they're not more popular here. I mean you don't see many Merkel Helixes around either, and you'd think they were perfect. I suppose Blaser has the market tied up for straight-pull rifles.

I saw a pair of these rifles scoped sell for £3600 a few months ago. Had a look at them as well. They were in ex con, dont think they were cased though.

Police licensing may have much to do with it. They are not very friendly of large calibres and often place stupid restrictions on their use.

Last edited:
I had Merkel combination 8x57 / 16 gauge with claw mounts and a 2.5x Leupold. Wish I had never traded it, and could not sleep until I got another 1920s combi.

These these are so precision and nicely fitted.

The one pictured here, in this case, is obviously well-cared-for by a loving owner, and had all the mounts, a nice scope, etc. Most are not found all together like that.

A brief update..

I have bought it and am looking forward to collecting it in a few weeks after the few things that were agreed have been done. Now all I've got to do is to decided where to go and shoot pigs this winter...!!

P

A brief update..

I have bought it and am looking forward to collecting it in a few weeks after the few things that were agreed have been done. Now all I've got to do is to decided where to go and shoot pigs this winter...!!

P
Oh, boy! Vicarious living. More loads to swap.

Back