Bright ideas for a brass catcher

The US Army had some, one for the M-16 and another for the Remington 700 M40. They were black cloth bags, which snapped over the action (under the carry handle or under the scope on the M40). They are real simple. I have not seen one for sale in a while, but I have some. I will look for them online.

Search on here for 'DIY brass catcher' there was a good thread where someone made one using a small bag, coat hanger wire and magnets in true McGuyver style

The US Army had some, one for the M-16 and another for the Remington 700 M40. They were black cloth bags, which snapped over the action (under the carry handle or under the scope on the M40). They are real simple. I have not seen one for sale in a while, but I have some. I will look for them online.

The Army never had M40's, never saw one in 27 years for the M16 either.

SS

had one on my m4 but had to be given back ! lol

made one years ago just used a thin rod with a kids fishing net bent it into shape and it worked well on the 10.22 and rifle as you could fit it to any rifle ,not smart but worked KISS.

My late night typo, thinking more about the brass catchers than the rifles.

Army has the long action M24 ( off the 700 so it could handle 7.62x51mm, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag), Marine Corps the short action M40 ( off the 40X, for the 7.62x51mm).

The Army was using other M700s, short and long action, and Model 70s, long action and Magnum action, and 1903A3s, before there was an M24 ( 1988, IIRC). They had a brass catcher for all those, a cloth bag, with some spring clamp to hold it on the action, before there even was an M24.

PS: I found a bunch of the cloth bags for the AR-15, both cloth and plastic, some snapping under the carry handle, some new models attaching to the Picatinny rail. Brownell's, Midway and all have them.

Caldwell makes one for bolt actions, like the M700, and the Blaser.

Last edited:
Army has the long action M24 ( off the 700), Marine Corps the short action M40 ( off the 40X).

My late night typo. The Army was using other M700s, short and long action, and Model 70s, long action and Magnum action, and 1903A3s, before there was an M24 ( 1988, IIRC). They had a brass catcher for all those, a cloth bag, with some spring clamp to hold it on the action, before there even was an M24.

Served from 1973 to 2002, never saw one.

SS

MARCBO, you never saw a brass catcher for an M16? Colt used to supply them when they were the rifle contractor. I saw them used along with the Colt .22 LR Conversion Unit, to catch all that small brass in basic training at Fort Jackson.

I also have a factory HK brass catcher, and rubber port buffer to keep from denting brass, for the HK-91 / G3.
I don't know who made the brass catchers for the bolt actions... may have been home made out of tent canvas, like the ghillie suits.

Back