plenty of cod about

toad

I was talking to mate the other day who was telling me that the fishing was very goot at the moment. I haven't botherd fishing for a long time because of the lack of fish so not wanting to waste my time off work and a great opportunity to get my son off his xbox I gathered some rods and reels sorted some bait and off we went. my lad landed his first flounder and a couple of whiting and I managed a couple of cod not massive but big enough for a feed . so it was fresh cod for dinner today FANTASTIC. talking to some lads on the beach they have been catching plenty of 3 to 4 lb cod for a coupke of weeks . is it the same anywhere else are the numbers better this year.

Had my first one this year, mind haven't been fishing since September, plan to get another trip in the weekend

Brian

Thats Great Toad,
Fished last week my mate had a lovely cod,whiting,baby ling and a weaver,all within 1 hour.
I had b@@ger all,but loved it,can I ask what would you suggest as good fishing spots,around wales coast.
We are keen to have another bash.
Tony.

Thats Great Toad,
Fished last week my mate had a lovely cod,whiting,baby ling and a weaver,all within 1 hour.
I had b@@ger all,but loved it,can I ask what would you suggest as good fishing spots,around wales coast.
We are keen to have another bash.
Tony.
hi tony I haven't fished fanaticly for a number of years so I just went where I used to do well. you will do well at the mouth of the Conwy river if go to the left of the marina its not so brutal on the tackle and don't cast to far. anywhere in the menai straits will fish ok . if you get to Anglesey then you are spoilt for choice . speak to Malcolm at Anglesey bait centre if he doesent know where is fishing well then no one does . one thing you need to do well is peeler crab

i am trying morcambe on friday night fingers crossed.
good luck chris I fished haysham and blackpool many years ago and both produced lots of good sized cod .

hi tony I haven't fished fanaticly for a number of years so I just went where I used to do well. you will do well at the mouth of the Conwy river if go to the left of the marina its not so brutal on the tackle and don't cast to far. anywhere in the menai straits will fish ok . if you get to Anglesey then you are spoilt for choice . speak to Malcolm at Anglesey bait centre if he doesent know where is fishing well then no one does . one thing you need to do well is peeler crab

good luck chris I fished haysham and blackpool many years ago and both produced lots of good sized cod .

1st time there with a mate who used to fish it a lot , looking forward to it :thumb:

Chrisc I live Silverdale. At present no cod but never is but there is some serious fat flounder to have on low waters. A bit bag load in one hours fishing.had good mullet and few sea trout this year.
Any one brave enough do do treading for flounders??

One or two decent ones coming off the beach between sandgate and Dungeness, problem is trying to get through the doggies, there is a rake of them about as well

using just whole squid for the cod, anything with a worm on is dogfish magnet at the moment down here

just getting a decent frost here as well

atb

phil

Best year here for around 12 years , up to a dozen fish per 4 hour trip and people using rod and line from day boats have had up to 60 fish in the local estuary mainly fish to 3lb but fun and tasty. Only downside is they are preoccupied on crab and the bloody doley's are doing the crab traps every tide and selling them on eBay etc for a quid each nearly !!

So many happy hours beach casting off the Holderness coast, best catch was in the chippy on the way home but its the taking part that counts.

Best year here for around 12 years , up to a dozen fish per 4 hour trip and people using rod and line from day boats have had up to 60 fish in the local estuary mainly fish to 3lb but fun and tasty. Only downside is they are preoccupied on crab and the bloody doley's are doing the crab traps every tide and selling them on eBay etc for a quid each nearly !!
I remember fishing a beach some years ago and and filling my boots with some very tidy cod 2-3lb fish and a guy next to me not landing a single fish . CRAB is the best bait I used to fill my freezer with peelers in the summer

Been plenty of codling showing around the essex coast lately, both shore and boat caught, best its been for many years.
Question, when did a sub 10lb fish become a cod ?
Single digit fish were always a codling when I used to go.

Neil. :)

Been plenty of codling showing around the essex coast lately, both shore and boat caught, best its been for many years.

Things have moved on from the 1950's Neil. :rofl:

(Happy New Year By The Way) :D

Last edited:

we never used to get many double figure fish of the shore . plenty off the wrecks along with some monster Pollack huge pouting and collies but that was a 30 mile steam and you could only fish for about half hour either side of slack water . I think they have been fished so hard that they don't hold fish anymore . wow a 10lb cod would be some fish around these parts now .one thing is for sure if you don't have a line in the water you haven't got a chance.

It's not been too great up,here this year apparently.....I've still got peeler in freezer but struggling to get motivation to go out! Still waiting for some rough weather then he'd onto the rocks.

Paul

I was out recently at LLandudno just off the coast had a fantastic days fishing but unfortunatley the seals were wanting to play spoiling the fishing ,we moved out towards the nanty mor windfarm loads of whiting and the odd codling

Back