HMR ammo, big problem.

Danger Mouse

Has anyone had any issues with regards the cases splitting? I don't want to mention the maker yet as I have just wrote to them but not yet had a reply.
Last night I was shooting rabbits and on the 12th shot there was an almighty bang, I ejected the cartridge and the primer end was split, this had in turn set off the two rounds in the mag too. Now I also have a bullet in the barrel and naturally I am worried that the rifle is knackered. What do you think I should do? I know that the rifle needs to be checked by a gun smith but do you think that the ammo maker would be liable for costs?
Thanks Andy.

HI Andy, i have no experience of the 17HMR however this rings bells with a thread on here/UKV recently with an abnormal round which lodged a bullet in the barrel.

I would say any self respecting ammo company would want to see you right after such an incident. Sounds like you were lucky not to be injured..

that chiller is still going strong!!

ATB.

FF

Andy
You are correct in thinking the gun needs to go to a good gunsmith especially if it's got a round stuck up the barrel.
In fact I would contact the gunsmith and seek advise on what is the safest way to get the rifle to him.
On the bullet manufacture, I would think that "fit for purpose" comes to mind, plus they should pick up the bill for ALL your expenses. They will do if they know you are about to put their name on this web page
Alan

Well after little over an hour they have got back to me and I'm impressed, they want the rifle and ammo, they will check the rifle out and do any repairs. Thats customer service, however I will see where this takes me and report back.

This seems to be a common problem, I haven't had it happen to me yet but it sound's dangerous... especially if you tried to shoot another round unaware there was a bullet lodged.

Did it blow back past the bolt in your face?

This seems to be a common problem, I haven't had it happen to me yet but it sound's dangerous... especially if you tried to shoot another round unaware there was a bullet lodged.

Did it blow back past the bolt in your face?

Si there was a blow back yes, it was my mate who took that shot, it hit his hand and his hearing is a bit iffy but I expect that to pass, I'm glad that we were using the NV add on or an eye might have gone!

glad you are both ok Andy.

I have sent edger brothers a e;mail when i had a head stuck about 42 up the barrel, still waiting for a reply as for similar problems, i think someone had a rifle explode in his hands due to the same issues as you, (ruger rifle if i remember correctly)

you think they would do/say something to their customers after all it is the most expensive ammo for any rimfire in the country,

bob

Hi Andy this is exactly what happend to me . They will replace the gun with new and all the rounds unused.This happend to me in november.Thread (exploding gun problem).I see you have seen my post today. I like the caliber gun .But now i am becoming affrad to use it not nice having a gun blow up on in your face. If they don't get their quality control sorted they are going to get someone seriously injured. regards Brian

Back