Urgent help needed

ksb

I am leaving on Friday for a boar hunting trip and was zeroing and changing scopes today on my Sauer 202. The second shot I fired seemed like a misfire without the click. Luckily I stick to decent misfire procedures and remained on target for 20seconds. I started to wonder if the bolt had picked up a round from the magazine or not. As I moved the bolt the rifle fired (still aimed at the target). Scared the **** out of me to be sure . It was factory ammo and I thought it was a hang fire and thanked my lucky stars I was on the side of a mountain and still on target.

the next round did the same thing and I was certain there was no click from the firing pin and the trigger pull felt like the bolt wasn't cocked. The smallest movement opening the bolt resulted in a discharge ( again aimed at the target). Not a pleasant experience holding onto an unmoderated 30-06. I striped the stock off the Rifle and cleaned around the safety and trigger as best I could when I got home but I need to strip the bolt. Has anyone information in stripping the bolt. I may struggle to get a gun smith to look at it before Friday hopefully not.

Thanks Keith

keith

simple test first.

get a case that has been fired, neck size it and fill in the primer hole with blu tac, then load it and try a dry fire, if it works you will see how much the impact is from the pin,

do this with no other cases/ammo loaded, it will also show that if there is no ammo in the rifle its 2 errors cleared asap.

if the bolt fires then try it with a couple of cases in the rifle as if you where out shooting (no live ammo please) if it does not fire it could be the ammo when loaded is the issue.

also check that the trigger is clean of grit/dead frogs and squaddies arms etc, you may have something holding back the sear when the rifle is loaded and only clears when you go to move the bolt.

just some things off the top of my head, never owned a 202 so can't help with the paperwork,

bob.

Thanks for the replies I have the manual already it mainly covers stripping Foreend and stock. I remember reading a post here over a year ago about stripping the bolt but I can't find it anymore.

Last edited:
The link below shows you how to strip down the Sauer bolt. It is in German and it is showing how to fit an after market safety device but should cover what you are looking for,

Handspannung S&S - AS.H Shop für Waffen und Zubehör

Scroll down to the second video.

Mulac
That's exactly what I need mulac , after I clean it the conversation will go something like this " hey honey do you want to shoot some targets today, of course you can shoot first".

keith

Hi Keith, I hope you get it sorted before Friday, if you don't, I'll make sure I don't stand too close to you !!!
Last year there was a very large Boar running straight towards Jimmy and just before it got to him it veared off and ran straight towards me.
So we had this big Boar running down the line from Jimmy towards me and then it did a sudden skip into the thick wood so neither of us could see it.
Afterwards Jimmy asked if I'd seen the big fella and when I replied, yes, he asked why I hadn't shot it !!!!!

The only good thing with shooting big rounds is you won't need to worry about bleeding slowly to death :). Only joking if I am not happy with it I will bring my hmr as people swear by their stopping power .

The only good thing with shooting big rounds is you won't need to worry about bleeding slowly to death :). Only joking if I am not happy with it I will bring my hmr as people swear by their stopping power .
I'm not sure the hmr would do the job :lol: but then I saw some bl***y good shooting by some of your lads using a .243 and dropping pigs as if poleaxed :).
Pete, with the 30-30, did some good shooting too with a rifle he had not had for long so I suppose it just proves it is all to do with placement so the hmr may do the job after all in the right hands !!!:D

sounds more like a trigger issue than a bolt issue to me, remmy's (no surprise there) used to have issues like that with their 700 series I recall reading about not too long ago. if you can, take the trigger unit out and clean it or blow it clean of any debris, of course doing the same to the bolt can only be a good thing too. I would not use this rifle in the field, esp. with other hunters about until I'd have tested it by a good 10-20 rounds without ANY further issues, otherwise if anything happens, could you live with yourself?

ksb, I had a 202 it done the very same thing twice, each being about 6months apart. After both times the rifle was sent away to be checked. It came back with a report saying they could not find anything wrong. I mentioned it to another 202 user and he had the same problem. However they said that his had a worn sear. I was pleased when the 202 was gone. It highlights the need for correct procedures

Last edited:
Thanks sinbad appreciate the offer. I will hopefully get it sorted start of this week, I think a good strip and clean will resolve the problem and I will make a point of testing it before I travel.

202 ad

had a ad with my 202 many years ago
I cut a lot of wood and was in the habit of keeping my bolt out of rifle for security reasons

when loading I had a ad (accidental discharge) when closing the bolt.much to my dogs surprise (he was the closest)
on examination a piece of woodchip was in the end of the bolt,

I am even now 15 years on very careful when closing the bolt on the 202

had a ad with my 202 many years ago
I cut a lot of wood and was in the habit of keeping my bolt out of rifle for security reasons

when loading I had a ad (accidental discharge) when closing the bolt.much to my dogs surprise (he was the closest)
on examination a piece of woodchip was in the end of the bolt,

I am even now 15 years on very careful when closing the bolt on the 202

i had been shooting in a sand quarry and the bolt was in my pocket at times and may have picked up some grit in the process. I stripped the bolt and gave it a good clean today and dry fired on spent cases without incident. I will check it again tomorrow on the range and fingers crossed it is ok

with no disrespect to KSB or other Sauer 202 owners....I used to really REALLY want one,,as they are gorgeous,,,however, something as simple as this issue and the fact that others have had similar (dangerous) incidents..makes me never want to own one. bummer...

with no disrespect to KSB or other Sauer 202 owners....I used to really REALLY want one,,as they are gorgeous,,,however, something as simple as this issue and the fact that others have had similar (dangerous) incidents..makes me never want to own one. bummer...

until saturday i never had as much as a round that failed to cycle or a misfire. to be honest the incident did leave me with a less than pleasant memory of my day on the range. I liked the sauer 202 that much when i got it that i changed my 223 for one also. it certainly has made me more cautious of my gun handling which i would say was good before saturday,

keith

i had been shooting in a sand quarry and the bolt was in my pocket at times and may have picked up some grit in the process. I stripped the bolt and gave it a good clean today and dry fired on spent cases without incident. I will check it again tomorrow on the range and fingers crossed it is ok

I hope all goes well on the range Kieth as you will need a fully working rifle in Hungary.
I am looking forward to meeting the lads again, will meet you all in Budapest Friday evening.

Back