Fallow Rut

chill123

Any signs or sounds of the Fallow rut ? I was out in the woods yesterday , there was a few bucks and prickets moving around . I found scrapes around the rutting stands. The rut normally starts on or around on the 22nd , with the cold snap forecast for this week it may start early ?

Chilll

Chill,
Just got in having been on the ground since 0630, no sounds coming from the bucks yet. A beautiful morning to be out though, sunrise was stunning.

The prickets have started to be a bit more playful the last week or so. The odd call here and there from the big boys but nothing really on the go here yet.

3/4 bucks grunting away the other evening and all the usual rutting stands have fresh scrapes, etc. I shot a buck and his stomach contents was empty and smelt very 'rutty'.

Evening chaps, rut has just started here in Sussex, although it seems to be only the very mature bucks that are calling. Yesterday evening after setting my my trail cams I sat up and called, within 5 minutes a sorrel showed up to see what was going on but wasn't calling and was on its own. 45 minutes later after calling some more and clattering some old antlers together I had two prickets come charging out into the chestnut clearing I was in. Then finally saw what I would imagine to be a three/four year old Buck showed up after I'd called a bit more. It was the first rut in 17 years that I've done this with a buck call and antlers and I wish I'd discovered it sooner!

Hi Tom, I'm using the Primos Hardwood Grunter. As a tip, you have to open and close your spare hand over the end of the call to make the noise of a fallow Buck, but my god it works!!

My old man got it for me for my birthday last year but I was away during th Fallow rut so I never got to use it.

Bigger bucks grunting like crazy here for over a week, eager little lads being chased off too. Bucks not too smelly yet, lots of parading and bum sniffing.

Last edited:
Full on in Herefordshire went out tuesday evening took a nice pricket, four bucks roaring away, Ill be back out this evening.

Has anyone else noticed than seeing doe's at the moment is virtually nonexistent or is it just me? All I'm seeing are solitary bucks at the moment.

Fallow rut.

All systems go here in Ireland. Scrape's noted one week past. Grunt's heard all this week. High seat in place and ready for action.

Plenty of movement where I was yesterday evening. Lots of young Bucks knocking about but no mature big bucks grunting?
Shot this Sorrel which was my first deer out of an high seat.
Took me over 12 years to do it,lol. :D
Just to add that green smiley thing isn't a thinly veiled threat,,

Back