How to get rid of stubborn copper fouling in your barrel the easy way?

mchughcb

I can discuss about the best copper solvent and way to clean out copper but I thought it best to make a video of my 416 Remington barrel.

A video says a thousand words.

That's a heck of a hole, looks like you could send a small child in and have him scrub it. I agree, KG 12 is tops.

LOL! I had to find a hole big enough to get light in there and the camera to focus but I did it.

If anybody else wants to post a video of their favour copper cleaner in action in this thread, please feel free to do so.

Question - I have been cleaning barrels with both Hoppes Bore shine and also bore foam. I have left them soak for a few hours and then swabbed them out. Patches come out blue. They look clean to me, but then I run another patch down and it still comes out a little blue. I am using brass Jags, and brass is an alloy of mostly copper with a little bit of Zinc. Is the copper in the jag reacting with the cleaner giving me a blue patch?

Question - I have been cleaning barrels with both Hoppes Bore shine and also bore foam. I have left them soak for a few hours and then swabbed them out. Patches come out blue. They look clean to me, but then I run another patch down and it still comes out a little blue. I am using brass Jags, and brass is an alloy of mostly copper with a little bit of Zinc. Is the copper in the jag reacting with the cleaner giving me a blue patch?

As above, more than likely. If you try washing the jag off in water after each patch and drying it, that helps as there's no bore cleaner left soaking on the jag's surface to react with the copper and a quick pass through of a clean, dry jag with fresh patch shouldn't leave enough time for that reaction to occur. It's what I do now and it gets good results with far less false indicators.

FWIW I use Patch-Out (Wipeout) or M-Pro 7. Have KG12 here but never used it.

Sorry, I don't have a heavily coppered barrel to show anymore!

PS I only use the solution (rather than the foam) & it shifted 700 shots-worth of copper that nothing else I tried would touch.

Last edited:

I used to forever scrub the barrel of my trg trying to get it copper free, used to spend hour upon frustrating hour and never could get that patch to come out clean... I had almost given up then someone suggested it might be the brass jag.....

Yep... It was! Lol

Don't have the problem with my blaser... 'cos I never clean the bugger!

Another Wipeout user but again not used or seen KG 12 used so hard to compare. Just know the Wipeout, I also combine it with the accelerator, works well.

Back