Pellet gun question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deer Assassin

Guys

Not looking for any ethical opinions or debates here... but would a Co2 .177 pellet gun placed to the back of the head on a rabbit sized animal generate enough power to dispatch it cleanly?

Cheers

DA

i thought the accepted range of a 12ft lbs rifle was only 30meters? , normal pistols only put out 6ft lbs,, just asking

Guys

Not looking for any ethical opinions or debates here... but would a Co2 .177 pellet gun placed to the back of the head on a rabbit sized animal generate enough power to dispatch it cleanly?

Cheers

DA
no problem provided it was one of the more powerfull ones.

Guys

Cheers

DA

YES
Seems some reading comprehension issues crept in over the distance you asked about....:doh:

I'm guessing then that this thing is a lot less than 12 ft/lb? Oops...

Yes mate 6flb if your lucky I've put many pistols over a chronograph and only ever had one close to 6flb and that was a spring powered pistol, a 12flb rifle is capable of killing at 40 meters if you do your bit no problem.....

Yes mate 6flb if your lucky I've put many pistols over a chronograph and only ever had one close to 6flb and that was a spring powered pistol, a 12flb rifle is capable of killing at 40 meters if you do your bit no problem.....

Ah! Makes more sense now.

My dad put down a snake-bitten Jack Russell with a Webley Tempest with a shot to the back to the head, so it can work.

Ah! Makes more sense now.

My dad put down a snake-bitten Jack Russell with a Webley Tempest with a shot to the back to the head, so it can work.

That was the pistol I'm talking about and that pistol is capable of killing a rabbit at .blank range but it would be easier to just pull the rabbits neck like I do when I'm ferreting less messy to....

Mongoose would you care to elraborate on the pointblank range of a webley tempest is it 10m 15m 20m?

Its my fault, i forgot to say this is a Co2 powered PISTOL we are talking about.

Hi DA, what ever you do, do not do this! In testing this type of weapon over a chrono, it never gave more than 2.25 ft/lb on a warm day, even less on a cold one! Personaly i feel this is far too low for the job in hand. Even as the weapon you mention is an 8 shot, it seems very unfare to use 2-3 shots per Rabbit just to do the job..... If you don't like the idea that has been already mentioned of pulling the neck, then invest in a good old fashioned 'Priest' and one good strike to the back of the head would normaly surfice.
Regards Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back