Double Rifle Insurance

goathunter1

Ok guys, here's one for you to deal with. I am going hunting in South Africa in August and I am being loaned a 470 double rifle. Its on my certificate now.
The challenge is that I'm struggling to get insurance. As soon as I say that it has been loaned to me the walls go up.
No, I have not checked with my home insurer (preferring to do this as a one off) and no I am not insured by the NFU. I am not a member of the CPSA or BASC.
Any suggestions? Don't bother is not very helpful.
Some body on here will know so thanks in advance.

Ok guys, here's one for you to deal with. I am going hunting in South Africa in August and I am being loaned a 470 double rifle. Its on my certificate now.
The challenge is that I'm struggling to get insurance. As soon as I say that it has been loaned to me the walls go up.
No, I have not checked with my home insurer (preferring to do this as a one off) and no I am not insured by the NFU. I am not a member of the CPSA or BASC.
Any suggestions? Don't bother is not very helpful.
Some body on here will know so thanks in advance.

Why tell them it is loaned? for the duration of the trip the rifle will be in your possession and effectively 'owned' by you, you are looking for insurance to replace the rifle it is damaged, stolen or lost - regardless who owns the rifle

Why tell them it is loaned? for the duration of the trip the rifle will be in your possession and effectively 'owned' by you, you are looking for insurance to replace the rifle it is damaged, stolen or lost - regardless who owns the rifle
If you don't disclose that it's loaned it may invalidate your insurance anyway if you need to claim and they investigate.

I'm not keen on borrowing or lending stuff of sentimental value. I'll lend my car without a second thought, but a gun or fishing rod is a different matter. If I was borrowing a double rifle, I would have at the back of my mind that I might have to replace it out of my own pocket. I don't really think it's practical to get insurance to cover the double rifle in its travels and usage from Perth to South Africa and back.

I do remember arriving in Singapore and a notice appearing on the baggage carousel saying to contact the baggage folk re my fishing rod. It did turn up later, but it was a pain.

Regards

JCS

If you don't disclose that it's loaned it may invalidate your insurance anyway if you need to claim and they investigate.

OK then - buy it for the duration of the trip.... and sell it when you get back, its on his certificate... you don't have to prove ownership and if you do I'm sure his mate will give him the original receipt... ....

Thanks guys. Some good stuff here. Knowing that insurance companies will go to any lengths to not pay out I am, like Agag, treading very carefully. I do not wish to make any false statement.
Keep your thinking caps on please.
There is such power on this forum!

The OP can get insurance, it's just that it costs.

Fundamental issue is you can't insure property/possessions that are not yours. No big conspiracy/ripoff....

Big risk means big premium, which may even be more than the value of the item. And yes, it may even be worth it, just ask Bernie....

Stan

Why don't you just buy it off him with the proviso/obligation on both owners, whether in writing or not, that it will be be bought back by the original owner upon your return. Should the rifle get lost, you claim for your rifle; if all is well then you return the gun to its former owner. Buying may involve the transfer of money, usually it does not even require a piece of paper. Think of it as a redefintion of loan.
I agree with jcambellsmith above though, this is tricky territory and more than one friendship has hit the rocks because of real or perceived damage to a treasured item.

Back