Gun dog/ deer dog

Walshy

Or8 lads just wondering if any off you have a deer dog that would work on game aswell as deer or would it just make the dog point/ hunt pheasants or any other game bird/ rabbit cheers in advance walshy

Yes I have GWP X GSP that's an all rounder, don't think they will ever be quite as good on deer as a dedicated deer dog,however to be honest how often do we really need a deer dog if its only for yourself likely not that often, I know that mine would not get much work if he was used purely on deer.

The only thing I would suggest , if you want it to do dual work train it on deer first , if you start them on game first then they seem to get distracted by other scents to the detriment of tracking deer, just my opinion and what I have found to be the case no real proof to back it up though

Yes I have GWP X GSP that's an all rounder, don't think they will ever be quite as good on deer as a dedicated deer dog,however to be honest how often do we really need a deer dog if its only for yourself likely not that often, I know that mine would not get much work if he was used purely on deer.

The only thing I would suggest , if you want it to do dual work train it on deer first , if you start them on game first then they seem to get distracted by other scents to the detriment of tracking deer, just my opinion and what I have found to be the case no real proof to back it up though
Cheers for reply bog trotter I've a ess that I use for game shooting and under my bird but her work is pretty much the same apart from the retrieve walshy

thats spot on i would say bogtrotter , i have a whv that i use on everything , good at them all but not as good as an out and out one dog job type if that makes sense , i dont do enough to have a dog devoted to one discipline , it comes out twice a week stalking , then from 12 aug is out at every opertunity , every weekend and more through the week , it even runs the trap line now it nows where they are and will point before i get there !but when out with the rifle it switches over to stalking mode

What would you say is a good breed/cross for deer an other game I know everyone will have there favourite but is there a more not desirable but preferred breed walshy

Korthals griffon.
A proven all rounder.
Widley used in Europe and the states, a good few over hear now if you know where to look.

So long as it has an interest in finding/fetching it will be of some use for you. This one would fetch/find anything asked of him, that day we dropped a fish off the hook when landing so he whent in for it.

DSC05608.jpg

Last edited:
You need look no further than the common or garden Labrador. Train it for your main interest first and the other only once solid on their primary use. Mine is deer, so she didn't get chance at the birds till she was 3. General retrieving work from a pup is no problem with dummies and tennis balls though. That's just a fun game to them. It's exposure to other game too early that's the problem.

Wolfie

You need look no further than the common or garden Labrador. Train it for your main interest first and the other only once solid on their primary use. Mine is deer, so she didn't get chance at the birds till she was 3. General retrieving work from a pup is no problem with dummies and tennis balls though. That's just a fun game to them. It's exposure to other game too early that's the problem.

Wolfie

What is your dog like on birds? My labrador is trained as a normal peg/trialling type dog which she is very good at but she has no inclination to look for deer. She couldn't give a monkeys about them! I often wonder how she would be if she was trained to track deer first.

My pointer is mad keen to find/hunt/kill/fetch anything that was once alive and preferably fluffy or feathery.

I would look to get a decent bred wire, once they are trained up they will find and retrieve anything, good all round dog.

their a bit big and boisterous but worth the effort

phil

Ive been toying with the idea of getting a pointer so i could use it with the bird and gun but like the gsp walshy

Iv had shorthaired pointers and a wirehaired and now have 2 english setters all were trained for game first as that is their main work but all capable of finding a dead or wounded deer including the setters .i dont particularly like wirehaired pointers as the one i had and 4 or more others iv seen had very volatile temperaments ie nasty with other dogs and some with people that is my experience may not be other peoples.a very good all round dog is the shorthaired,layed back temperament and guard without aggression ie bark but less likeley to bite wirehairds are certainly not in my humle opinion not suitable for your first delve into pointer ownership.just my 2 bobs worth atb dave

Iv had shorthaired pointers and a wirehaired and now have 2 english setters all were trained for game first as that is their main work but all capable of finding a dead or wounded deer including the setters .i dont particularly like wirehaired pointers as the one i had and 4 or more others iv seen had very volatile temperaments ie nasty with other dogs and some with people that is my experience may not be other peoples.a very good all round dog is the shorthaired,layed back temperament and guard without aggression ie bark but less likeley to bite wirehairds are certainly not in my humle opinion not suitable for your first delve into pointer ownership.just my 2 bobs worth atb dave

It pains me to say it as I'm really fond of the GWP breed as a whole, but I have also seen some aggressive and wholly uncontrollable wirehairs.
Care need to be taken and an examination of their lines before purchase. I suppose this goes for all breeds though.

it pains me to say it as i'm really fond of the gwp breed as a whole, but i have also seen some aggressive and wholly uncontrollable wirehairs.
Care need to be taken and an examination of their lines before purchase. I suppose this goes for all breeds though.

i to do like the stamp of the wirehairds big strong dog and good coat for northern weather and i dare say the lineage is the main thing when looking for temperament,i even had a lurcher cross bred with a wirehair and i had 2 vets bills off other people in no time,loveley dog as are most of the wirehairds iv seen but can turn and when they do its a mess the size and power of a fit dog just crushes other dogs big or small.the last shorthair dog would find dead foxes at night when i couldnt find them in long grass or had run a bit when lamping and retrieve them back to hand bt remainedsoft mouthed probably because it never had hold of a live one and doubt if it would have had the temperament for it unlike its wiry cousin.i think perhaps the main mistake people make on choice between the two is thinkin a wirehair is just a shorthair with a hairy coat but certainly not the case,just like cheese and chalk although if i wanted an out and out dedicated deer dog it would very likeley be a wirehair simply because of their single mindedness to succeed when given a difficult task

Ever thought about a Clumber?

Hard work, but I have been told they make good tracking dogs, will work under your bird too as they are steady as out. They make fantastic pets too, great with the kids and calm in the house after their initial outbreak of happiness when they first see you of course. Proven in the field too, as are many other breeds too for all your driven/walked/picking up etc. But don't expect them to come on as quick as a lab or springer as they are completely different to springers and cockers, great dogs though, and i'll never be without one!

:)

Korthals griffon.
Similer to a wire haired, a fair bit smaller and a bit softer.
Still has a lot more hunt than most breeds, and definatley not one for giving up.

LabxBMH, does everything I need him to do, will follow deer, retrieve any bird on land or water and is a great beating dog that will go all day on a grouse moor

It pains me to say it as I'm really fond of the GWP breed as a whole, but I have also seen some aggressive and wholly uncontrollable wirehairs.

i think it all depends how you look at a wire, and what you want it do for you if it's going to face a half alive pair of antlers, tusks or teeth thrashing at it, you will need something with a determined attitude to succeed.
on the other hand if you want a dog that will find a dead un in the long grass 75 yds from you, get a lab or something it's horses for courses

wires are truly demanding and ruthless in pursuit and will hold a wounded deer down or pull the final curtain down on a wounded fox after tracking it, you don't get that without some strength from the dog and it's make up has to be different from some other breeds, I wouldn't confuse that with vicious and uncontrollable my wire is a lovely lovely dog, fantastic at home, but doesn't take any prisoners.

my wire is with me work and play nearly seven days/ nights a week, for me he is bang on and he has proved himself beyond anything I could have wished, very strong, determined and as hard as nails plus, I would think very hard about getting a wire if you're not prepared, they will overrun you in an instant, if he gets the chance, not for the novice or part time working handler they command a lot of one to one and even more exercise.

it says for itself but as cadex stated, get some history on the lineage and attitude, they are hard going anyway at first for the first two years, get the training in them years you'll see a cracking tracking dog emerge the other end

good luck

choose wisely

atb

phil

Back