how do you clean your rifle breech area?

woody

Folks,

How do you guys clean your breech area, in the past just rollen a cloth up and pushed it up and turn but still have bits of grease and oil hanging around, dont usually bother but they could all do with cleaning on my rifles!

Thanks

Woody

This came up in a thread recently about the VFG cleaning kit (for the bore). I'll be getting a Tipton Action/Chamber Cleaning kit shortly... :)

You should be able to find one on ebay...

I just bend the end up on a cotton wool bud,bit fiddly but can get in all the nooks and crannies round the lug recesses,just don't clean your own lugs with them after.;)

.410 mop for the chamber.....20 or 12 for the breech/action area.........or you can use the shotgun cleaning rod end which you can slot a rag into.
Works a treat!!!

I have a 12 bore rod that snapped, ive adapted it so I can fit a tampon sideways in a slot at the end - works very well on the lug abuttments.

For the chamber I roll a wad of 4x2 around the same rod and moisten with cleaner - this cleans the chamber up to the neck area, my normal cleaning regime does for the bore.

I use an endocervical brush!!!!

It's used in medicine (cervical cytology)and I have some freebies. It is like a tiny bottle brush, tapered nylon bristles and it is easily bendable so great for getting into inaccesible breech areas. Also v good for cleaning out the vent hole on Remmy 700 actions.

A similar type brush is available from dentist/chemist and used for cleaning between your teeth.

PM me and I will mail you a couple

D

It's used in medicine (cervical cytology)and I have some freebies. It is like a tiny bottle brush, tapered nylon bristles and it is easily bendable so great for getting into inaccesible breech areas. Also v good for cleaning out the vent hole on Remmy 700 actions.

A similar type brush is available from dentist/chemist and used for cleaning between your teeth.

D

Thanks very much, what a great bunch!

D
I hope they're not soiled ones.:eek:

Back