Hornady primer pockets

teyhan1

Recently I bought a .243 and having a friend that shoots one, I recently collected 50 spent Hornady Superperformance cases from him for reloading.
This evening I started the process and after depriming them all thought I'd use the K&M primer pocket uniformer to get the burnt residue out.
However when I looked at the tool there was a hell of a gap between the tool and the case rim. Something I had not seen to such an extent before.
I then checked what the seating depth of primers is supposed to be and found that the Hornadys were woefully out and I find on further searching of the web that this is not an uncommon problem with Hornady.
Thought it would be worth a mention as I now have lots of reaming to do to put these primer pockets right.

Any thoughts from the reloading massif?

I found hornady brass a bit odd also,used 55g vmax and 60g tap brass in the 223 all seams fine just feels softer than my usually ppu brass to load. Now in the 308 I primed some neck sized 150g sst brass and they seamed a little tight,on further inspection I was getting little half moon shape bits swarf when priming. I really should get some primer pocket uniformers.

I had the same problem with Hornady cases using a Lee Handprime. Having to use both thumbs on the lever seems dangerous to me. I got a K&M pocket uniformer very speedily from Spud. It was pulling so much brass from the pocket that sometimes it was binding and spinning the case making it difficult to hold still.
I hope that having been done once,they will now be ok.

Yes it's a pain to do but you only have to do it once, but as I get the cases given to me I put up with it for free brass.

Back