New rifle time: Blaser barrel feedback pls

KB1

My 270 and 308 Cert has just come through and I'm going to give the R8 Pro Success a crack .
I have a mod for the 308, not the 270. 308 I will use here, the 270 for Europe.
Any advise of what type of barrel(s) I should be looking to order. Also, for the 270, should I get a sighted barrel (assume this is only for aesthetics as it will be scoped)
thanks

i dont have any advice on the barrels but i would point out that if you want to buy a spare barrel it has to be marked as such on your certificate.

i dont have any advice on the barrels but i would point out that if you want to buy a spare barrel it has to be marked as such on your certificate.

+1 - very true - have a merkel and this is the case - 1st caliber- rifle (action associated to 1st barrel) then 2nd caliber- additional barrel

Hi Blair,

I have the R8 success in 30-06 and couldn't be happier with the rifle. I went for the std sporter profile with the std factory threaded 15 x 1 spigot for the mod. The thread protector fits well so I wouldn't be concerned about using it without the mod fitted. I did think about fluted or semi weight barrels but am happy with the std. The rifle balances very well and is incredibly pointable with or without the mod fitted.

I hope that helps a little.

Mac

Standard 17mm barrel with sights will be fine that's the cheapest option then get the .308 threaded job done
(Factory threading is extra cost or used to be )

fluting adds about £500 to a standard barrel mmmm fluted barrel with sights ohhhh :)

I ordered a std barrel with sights in 6.5 and had mine threaded m14x1 by Lawrence precision works perfectly with a LP mod

I couldn't justify the extra cost for a fluted barrel. I bought mine from Swillington Shooting Supplies and there was no extra cost for the factory threading. The stock also came with the extra QD sling swivel stud on the forend to fit a bipod. This was a factory extra, again at no extra cost.

I've got the semi-weight barrel in .270, with open sights and no mod, the extra weight helps a lot with the recoil, and it ballance the rifle well IMHO, i'm loving it.

My 270 and 308 Cert has just come through and I'm going to give the R8 Pro Success a crack .
I have a mod for the 308, not the 270. 308 I will use here, the 270 for Europe.
Any advise of what type of barrel(s) I should be looking to order. Also, for the 270, should I get a sighted barrel (assume this is only for aesthetics as it will be scoped)
thanks
Depends if the aesthetics are worth the cost.. middleweight barrel approx. £500 more than the standard weight then if you want it fluted about £500 more again... then... as you are doing this for aesthetics, you are stuck purchasing middleweight barrels as the channel in the forend will be oversized for a std barrel.. whilst this should be ok (just look a bit odd).. in practice it doesn't work as it allows play between the barrel and the stock and you then struggle to hold zero! been there!!!

The rifle is perfectly balanced with a standard weight barrel and is heavy enough IMHO without adding more weight... recoil.... what recoil????

Depends if the aesthetics are worth the cost.. middleweight barrel approx. £500 more than the standard weight then if you want it fluted about £500 more again... then... as you are doing this for aesthetics, you are stuck purchasing middleweight barrels as the channel in the forend will be oversized for a std barrel.. whilst this should be ok (just look a bit odd).. in practice it doesn't work as it allows play between the barrel and the stock and you then struggle to hold zero! been there!!!

The rifle is perfectly balanced with a standard weight barrel and is heavy enough IMHO without adding more weight... recoil.... what recoil????

Are you saying the issue between barrel and stock occur when you have 2 different weighted barrels in the same stock?

wasn't aware of that. Thanks

Correct mine is like this also

when applying / one for one variations you ask for a barrel only but be aware some forces require you to have the bolt head s/n on the cert as well but you can buy bolt heads and have them posted out to you with no requirement for your FAC

Are you saying the issue between barrel and stock occur when you have 2 different weighted barrels in the same stock?

That's what appeared to happened with mine.. whist the rear of the barrel was solid on the bedding block there was movement at the front of the for end being allowed as the channel was very wide.. ended up going back as I couldn't get the groups under 2" and lost all confidence in it! I'm sure there were other factors at play but that seemed to be the most likely cause... If you go heavyweight or midweight just stick with the same profile moving forwards then you won't have any issues

That's what appeared to happened with mine.. whist the rear of the barrel was solid on the bedding block there was movement at the front of the for end being allowed as the channel was very wide.. ended up going back as I couldn't get the groups under 2" and lost all confidence in it! I'm sure there were other factors at play but that seemed to be the most likely cause... If you go heavyweight or midweight just stick with the same profile moving forwards then you won't have any issues

Got it thanks

Thats unusual. I have two fluted match barrels in .22-250/.243 and a standard in 9.3.x 62. Not experienced that problem. Essentially all Blaser barrels are "free floating"and the stiffness of the stock shouldn't allow any interference with the barrel. Did you get Blaser to look at it?

Thats unusual. I have two fluted match barrels in .22-250/.243 and a standard in 9.3.x 62. Not experienced that problem. Essentially all Blaser barrels are "free floating"and the stiffness of the stock shouldn't allow any interference with the barrel. Did you get Blaser to look at it?

They wanted to uplift it and take it back to Germany but couldn't tell me how long i'd be without it.. Anyhoo.. took it back and replaced it with a standard profile stock with std profile barrel and problem solved..

I appreciate they are free floating and that 'shouldn't happen' but if you squeezed the barrel and the for end you could get the barrel to shift to one side of the channel and stay there.. squeeze it the other way and it would move to the other side.. Whilst the relationship between the bedding block and the barrel was solid, something was allowing something to move when it shouldn't and it was obviously upsetting harmonics... anyhoo..no biggie... could have been a one off... it happens..

Back