whats the best 4x4 ofroader

wraith

ok lads what is the best 4x4 of roader so far i have sunk kia worst 4x4 ever xtrailwas going well till they deside they are going back in to 2wheel drive to proteckt the drive sistem :doh: toyota surf which was like a monster truck with the bigest set of off road tires still sunk it what 4x4 can get you out of the mud without calling farmer and tractor to pull you out at 4in the morning :oops:as i have to get another 4x4 but want to get home at the end of the night without help :eek:

Alot is down too tyres and driver< but if it is realy soft ground something with locking diffs>
stav

I'm afraid to say that if your prone to getting vehicles stuck then it's perhaps not the truck you should be looking at but your driving skills. Now this isn't meant as a dig just another way of seeing it.

Arctic Trucks AT38 Toyota Hilux conversion
getfile.aspx

or

Arctic Trucks AT35 Toyota Land Cruiser conversion
getfile.aspx

Alot is down too tyres and driver< but if it is realy soft ground something with locking diffs>
stav
im sure the toyota had difflock still had the mud to the top of the arches :eek: yes the ground is very soft think a hover craft might be better

I'm afraid to say that if your prone to getting vehicles stuck then it's perhaps not the truck you should be looking at but your driving skills. Now this isn't meant as a dig just another way of seeing it.

I would tend to agree. As well as driving skills knowing where you can and cant go is a must also reading the ground. Again not a dig just trying go be helpfull. Evrn an argo will get bigfed down if the driver aint up to it.

Nutty

How about using a quad bike. If it's that wet then you need something that's light and got fat tyres. Only thing I can think like that is a quad

Spot on, many are heavy footed on the gas,not to mention the right gear selection (hi/lo box, difflock etc.)

no bud i get your point im not guning it around just traveling over hills and across land in low gear looking out for soft spots etc when the blodey things just sink without warning and by that time its to late :eek:im stuck as there are no trees i cant even use a winch to get me out dont know if a lighter 4x4 would get me out or stop me sinking faster than the titanic you should see the holes i have dug triying to get out

Take a ground anchor and recover yourself off that. IF you are sinking this fast the ground is far to soft for vehicles of the current size. Would a small 350 quad be a better option.

Repeated bogging to the current depth may well upset the landowner.

A person once told me that the capabilities of a 4x4 came down to the knob behind the steering wheel. 4x4 does not neccessarily mean that you can go anywhere and through any and all soft ground. Off road driving experience/knowledge, ground clearance, locking diffs, tyres to suit ground, torque and how to use it, knowledge of the ground all play a part. Neither the Kia or x trail are out and out off road vehicles and even with mods will still not come anywhere near the capabilitites of a defender, hilux or similar. Like the others my thoughts are that it is more than just another 4x4 you require.

mine had bigger of road tires than that the toyota pictured with more tred was 2.5 deisel otomatick geer box so the car selects the gear to be in all i can do is put it in low racio :D

Last edited:
1. Argocat.

2. Jimny

3. Landy of some sort and get a winch and some ground anchors, and learn how to use 'em safely.

4. Air down if the ground is that boggy it increases the tyres footprint, and should sink less.

Good luck.

ok lads what is the best 4x4 of roader so far i have sunk kia worst 4x4 ever xtrailwas going well till they deside they are going back in to 2wheel drive to proteckt the drive sistem :doh: toyota surf which was like a monster truck with the bigest set of off road tires still sunk it what 4x4 can get you out of the mud without calling farmer and tractor to pull you out at 4in the morning :oops:as i have to get another 4x4 but want to get home at the end of the night without help :eek:

Well I've had defenders and discovery's and been in many sticky situations my woman has a defender and I've now got an l200 and love it put some decent tyres on it and it goes anywhere,I like it so much more than the others it's very comfortable and reliable as well as practicable so can't see me changing to any other type of vehicle in the future.....

1. Argocat.

2. Jimny

3. Landy of some sort and get a winch and some ground anchors, and learn how to use 'em safely.

4. Air down if the ground is that boggy it increases the tyres footprint, and should sink less.

Good luck.
bugger forgot about air presure :doh:mind you the tires were very wide arches had to be modifiyed to be leagle il have a look at you tube for ground anchors thanks

Back