Looks like trouble looming

finnbear270

The UK’s largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), is urging members who come across police forces which are breaching Home Office guidance on firearms licensing to complain and to inform the association.
The call comes after BASC accused Dyfed-Powys Police of ignoring Home Office guidance on applicants’ medical checks.

BASC was tipped off by a member that the force was making shotgun and firearm certificate applicants foot the bill for GPs’ letters and insisting the applicant request their own medical report direct from their GP.

BASC took action by writing to Dyfed-Powys Police and has been told by the force the changes have been made because of cost cutting.

BASC is concerned that other police forces which are looking to cut costs could follow suit. The organisation will be at the forefront of protecting shooters’ interests in the licensing process.

BASC’s director of firearms, Bill Harriman, said: “We understand that there are serious staffing problems at Dyfed-Powys Police but that is no excuse to discriminate against applicants who are ill or who have a disability. If you come across a police force which has done as the Dyfed-Powys Police force has done then make a complaint and don’t be afraid to do so. Give us the details, we will take action. This is something which needs to be stopped as it is in breach of Home Office guidelines and police forces need to know they cannot get away with making up their own policies to save cash.”
BASC’s advice to members if they come across any other police force which is asking applicants to meet the cost of medical reports is to make a formal written complaint to that force’s professional standards or complaints and discipline department and to send BASC’s firearms department a copy of the letter and any response. From B.A.S.C.'S site, Be interesting to know if this force halted this practice?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very easy to start making throw-away statements like that, but what are the other shooting organisations doing about this issue that BASC aren't?

When i phone mine and ask for there help they do more than BASC done for me ..anyone organisation can offer help its the ones that give it that count.

Is this just the medical checks issue or does it extend to all the other breaches of Home office guidelines too?

In Breach Of Home Office Guidelines

They are only guidelines, like Cheshire and several other counties, they just make up their own rules as they feel like it!!

When I was a member of Basc and going to apply for my FAC Mike Eveligh once supplied me with a draft letter to be sent to my GP surgery informing them of the Police Service's rights in this matter. It made it plain for the GP's to understand that the Police were liable for any charges incurred.

I would presume that this draft letter is still in circulation amongst Basc members? It was certainly no secret, but perhaps many people who are members do not ask for help until there is a problem. I thought I would negate the possibility of it becoming a problem. And thanks to Mike it did not become one.

Simon

They are only guidelines

Yes, but they are Home Office Guidelines.

The thing about guidelines written by people more or less in authority over you is that you may deviate from them, but if you do you need to be able to justify the deviation, and not just to yourself.

Probably like the FDA in the US: Guidelines = Godlines. Only recommendations but not followed at one's peril.

Andrew

Would rather you didnt. The amount of BASC bashing here needs to be seen to be belived.
why anyone uses them is beyond me , they seem to do well in media and lobbying for the sport but for acting on behalf of indeviduals they fail miserably

The main problem with the H.O. guidelines is that it was first published in 2002 and has never been reprinted. So now it is rather out of date and urgently requires a new edition. Like the police, BASC are just as guilty of selectively ignoring the guidance for their own ends.

Frank

The thing about guidelines written by people more or less in authority over you is that you may deviate from them, but if you do you need to be able to justify the deviation, and not just to yourself.

Dalua, I may have interpreted this wrong, but when us,as firearms certificate holders request variations, new applications etc. We follow the Home Office Guidelines, its the Firearms licensing departments that tend to deviate from the guidelines and just seem to do whatever they want and make conditions up etc, as they see fit!

ATB

By all means PM me, but unless the issue you have had with BASC NI is in relation to medical checks with checks by Dyfed-Powys Police , than maybe this thread is not the best one to moan about your experience with BASC NI.

However with Tommy now in the chair in NI I think the service has improved significantly.

Bashing BASC is something that does not really help anyone does it? You all know I am here to help when ever I can, so if you have issues with BASC or don’t think you are getting the service you should then let me know.

But please can we keep this thread on subject?

Thanks

David

slightly off the original thread but if you dont get the help from your organisation you need or expect complain to them and keep taking it higher until you get the help you require.we pay our fees every year and should demand the corrrect service

Back