Need help using venison puree I have defrosted

stratts

Righto chaps this is the gist.

Back in Jan I slow cooked some munty but there was too much to eat. So in my wisdom the left overs, along with the gravy got pureed down and frozen for later use.

Well that later use is upon me and I'm buggered if I know what to do with it!! I figured I'd make some pate but not being much of a cook I'm not sure if that's do-able?!

Any ideas please asap coz it needs eating up and I hate wastage?

Cheers

Boil some tatties and partially mash them up & throw the munty & gravy thru it .... Improvised "stovies"

Stovies

Stovies
is a Scottish dish based on potatoes. Recipes and ingredients vary widely, but the dish always contains potatoes with, variously, onions, carrots, other vegetables, roast beef, corned beef, minced beef or other meat.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Stovies is thus a dish intended to use left-over food.

The potatoes are cooked by slow stewing in a closed pot with fat and stock. Lard, beef dripping or butter may be used as the fat. It is also common to stew the potatoes in water alone with onion before adding the other ingredients. Stovies may be accompanied by oatcakes.

"To stove" means "to stew" in Scots. The term seems to derive from the French adjective "étuvée" which may be translated as "steamed" or braised

Heres a nice easy one for you Stratters.

Finely chop onion....2 onions per lb meat.
Sweat them down
While theyre sweating down, lightly grill a couple of pieces of bread (2 per lb meat) then when theyre crispy dry blitz them in the blender (bread crumbs)
Now I know youve left the onions on a low heat? Yeah? Good man...dont let them blacken and a spot of butter with them goes down a treat.
In a good sized bowl add the meat, bread crumbs, onions and a chopped chilli (red) and a good handful of finely chopped fresh coriander and an egg.
Mix the lot together....it'll be quite a soft mix but mouldable.
Now make a dog turd sized (think lab sized jobby) and mould it around a wooden skewer (ok metal will do too)

Now grill them and dollop a splodge of garlic mayo on them in a pizza bread with salad.

Heres a nice easy one for you Stratters.

Finely chop onion....2 onions per lb meat.
Sweat them down
While theyre sweating down, lightly grill a couple of pieces of bread (2 per lb meat) then when theyre crispy dry blitz them in the blender (bread crumbs)
Now I know youve left the onions on a low heat? Yeah? Good man...dont let them blacken and a spot of butter with them goes down a treat.
In a good sized bowl add the meat, bread crumbs, onions and a chopped chilli (red) and a good handful of finely chopped fresh coriander and an egg.
Mix the lot together....it'll be quite a soft mix but mouldable.
Now make a dog turd sized (think lab sized jobby) and mould it around a wooden skewer (ok metal will do too)

Now grill them and dollop a splodge of garlic mayo on them in a pizza bread with salad.

That sounds good mate cheers will give it a go,

Ta

as MS has said, or use it as a base for a game pie, add more meat, potatoes and veg etc either put pastry to the top or all depending how ya like ya pies

I would use that as a base for a curry just add some more diced venison to it ,that would be bloody lovely .any left overs just get some puff pastry ,roll it out put your filling in and bake untill golden brown ,venison curry puffs my wife makes them ,and if you like curry they are to die for :D

Last edited:
I think venison chilli might be in order. It will not matter if it has been cooked a bit already. Just start by browning the mets some more add onions then garlic then proceed as with normal chilli

Well I had a go at Limulus's kofta/kebab thingy and it worked out ok. As it was more a puree I had to roll out the turds and they wouldn't hold themselves on skewers so they got the griddle treatment. Tasted ok but the texture was a bit 'pastey' so next time I'll do them with fine ground mince on the bbq! Sweet chilli sauce helped em down though!! :thumb:

Back