Need some advice - any shotgun stock makers/repairers on here?

Timney

I am in a little bit of a dilemma and could use some advice.

I have an English side by side shotgun in my cabinet with a broken stock across the chequering. The stock is now effectively in two parts.

My dilemma is that the gun is a sleeved non-ejector. It has fantastic fine engraving which continues from the fences onto the barrels. It is probably of little financial value, but without going into too much detail, it was passed to me and is of sentimental value. Now, common sense rules for me, and although it is of sentimental value I couldn't possibly spend a small fortune on having the gun restocked to the standard that it would warrant.

My question is can the stock be repaired reasonably cheaply so that it looks like it never happened, in a way that would enable the gun to be used as normal, and if it could, is there anyone on here, or anyone know of anyone that could carry out this repair?

My second question would be - if the stock is beyond repair, does anyone know of anyone that could replace the stock with an alternative wood stock, eg turkish or american walnut but not charge the earth for it?. I suppose the stock could be "oiled" to best match the original forend ?

It seems like a very big ask, but my only alternative would be to sell the gun in its current broken condition for someone else to repair as a project - but I would prefer to be able to use it myself as it is a lovely gun.

I would be glad to answer any questions via PM - the likelihood is that if anything is feasible I will get some work done on it in the next few months after Christmas....

Thanks for any replies..

Just a thought ,if the break was caused by an accident then it may be covered under you household contents/ personal insurance. I cracked stock on a H&H and it was covered - cost by a really good stockmaker albeit some 5 years ago was circa £5000 inc new fore end. But the gun was itemised under the policy. Stocker would not contemplate a repair - just not safe in his opinion. Best of luck funny how a lump of steel and wood gets to you - I have little sentiment for my rifles but my shotguns are different.

Just a thought ,if the break was caused by an accident then it may be covered under you household contents/ personal insurance. I cracked stock on a H&H and it was covered - cost by a really good stockmaker albeit some 5 years ago was circa £5000 inc new fore end. But the gun was itemised under the policy. Stocker would not contemplate a repair - just not safe in his opinion. Best of luck funny how a lump of steel and wood gets to you - I have little sentiment for my rifles but my shotguns are different.

I had thought about this, but unfortunately this one wasn't itemised so I guess a non-starter as far as my policy is concerned - the funny thing is how do you put a replacement value on an item like an old english shotgun which are generally one-of-a-kind in terms of condition and provenance. If say the cost of a new stock was £1000, would the insurance company happily pay £1k on a gun worth several hundred quid? Am not sure they would but what would they then give you in terms of a write-off pay out?:confused:

It can almost certainly be repaired. I have an old s/s 410 that has been repaired at some point with a pin down the middle of he hand and you can hardly see the repair. A friend has just had Dicksons up in Dunkeld completely renovate his grandfathers box lock Jeffrey. The stock was Brocken and barrels blacking very worn. It has had a new stock, that has been fitted to him, action tightened and barrels reblacked - it's stunning. And the cost was £2,500, so pretty reasonable, given that a good box lock ejector is now going for £3,000 plus if it has a good name.

Alternatively try Haygarth guns up in the North of Scotland or speak with Frances Lovell down in Whitney or Vintage Guns.

In terms of value good English box lock non ejectors are really beginning to pick up in value and pushing through the £1,000 and substantially more if a small bore. They are not making them any more and if you spend a bit of money now, it should outlive your grandchildren.

It can almost certainly be repaired. I have an old s/s 410 that has been repaired at some point with a pin down the middle of he hand and you can hardly see the repair. A friend has just had Dicksons up in Dunkeld completely renovate his grandfathers box lock Jeffrey. The stock was Brocken and barrels blacking very worn. It has had a new stock, that has been fitted to him, action tightened and barrels reblacked - it's stunning. And the cost was £2,500, so pretty reasonable, given that a good box lock ejector is now going for £3,000 plus if it has a good name.

Alternatively try Haygarth guns up in the North of Scotland or speak with Frances Lovell down in Whitney or Vintage Guns.

In terms of value good English box lock non ejectors are really beginning to pick up in value and pushing through the £1,000 and substantially more if a small bore. They are not making them any more and if you spend a bit of money now, it should outlive your grandchildren.

Thanks Heym, non-ej have their benefits, especially when trying to pick up spent cartridges in heath land/scrub. On rough shooting days I never eject the cartridges with my Miroku, just put my hand over the breech and pull them out! Driven days I can appreciate the advantages of ejectors though.

Back