Fat labradors

Tom270

On the news tonight, Labradors have a gene that gives them the propensity to over eat and be over weight. Well its not like they go in the kitchen after their tea and help themselves to a beer and an extra pie and a bowl of trifle. Surely good food in the correct quantity with a good level of exercise equals a trim and fit Labrador.

:eek:

On the news tonight, Labradors have a gene that gives them the propensity to over eat and be over weight. Well its not like they go in the kitchen after their tea and help themselves to a beer and an extra pie and a bowl of trifle. Surely good food in the correct quantity with a good level of exercise equals a trim and fit Labrador.

:eek:

I can't sstand seeing overweight dogs of any breed, I think the problem with labs is some people have a really warped idea of what they should be built like. I prefer a well bulit lab to the super skinny ones, but no dog should be fat by default.

All dogs have a propensity to overeat, the problem is owners that have a propensity to over feed. Like SS, I can't stand to see a fat dog; 9 times out of 10 it is a weak and lazy human that can't be bothered to control intake and thinks he is hungry just because he is interested in food.

I believe the research was carried out by the Ematorius Professor of Stating the Bleedin Obvious at the University of "D'ya think!"

All dogs have a propensity to overeat, the problem is owners that have a propensity to over feed. Like SS, I can't stand to see a fat dog; 9 times out of 10 it is a weak and lazy human that can't be bothered to control intake and thinks he is hungry just because he is interested in food.

Bang on , the owner will be fat and lazy also because they don't get any excercise taking the dog out for its exercise lol

kjf

surely its the same as Fat Kids ? when I was a nipper in the 1980s there was one fat kid in the class and his parents were fat - nowadays my kids are in a class where at least a 1/3 are seriously overweight for their age - the Labs might has a gene but they have to be fed or have access to food for it to work

We have a Lab that is fat........................... he has one tin of food a day with a little mixer biscuit the same amount as the smaller collie/saluki/what ever mongrel we also have. He balooned up after being nuetered. Now both dogs were seriously undrweight when we took them in and I mean starved! When the Saluki cross one laid on her back you could see her spine through her tummy the lab you could could his veritbrae and every rib stuck out. So th lab will eat whatever he can the saluki cross is very fussy on what she eats though and she is spayed as well. We are not sure the lab is a pure lab as to me at least his head seems a little small and I think it should be broader for a Lab.

I got my lab speyed last year & was advised by vet to cut intake immediately by 25% & monitor & adjust as needed ...
She's not fat , nearly 4yrs ... Guy down street has two labs 5 months younger & speyed also but they look bout 7yrs plus & like barrels on legs .... When first banged into each other walking them he commented on how good looking my pup was .... I stated her age & he just went " oh ...,." And told me his dogs age ... Looking but dismayed .... He's not fat he's not lazy he's out with them regularly
Purely think it's over feeding
I feed my bitch raw diet & cut her from 600grams a day to 400grams a day 200 in morning 200 in evening and it works for her ... I also notice when I come home 5 weeks away from work if she Put on or not so needs monitoring.
But you look at amount you put down & think is that it !?!?!
So for me I could easy see how folk over feed them.

Paul

I got my lab speyed last year & was advised by vet to cut intake immediately by 25% & monitor & adjust as needed ...
She's not fat , nearly 4yrs ... Guy down street has two labs 5 months younger & speyed also but they look bout 7yrs plus & like barrels on legs .... When first banged into each other walking them he commented on how good looking my pup was .... I stated her age & he just went " oh ...,." And told me his dogs age ... Looking but dismayed .... He's not fat he's not lazy he's out with them regularly
Purely think it's over feeding
I feed my bitch raw diet & cut her from 600grams a day to 400grams a day 200 in morning 200 in evening and it works for her ... I also notice when I come home 5 weeks away from work if she Put on or not so needs monitoring.
But you look at amount you put down & think is that it !?!?!
So for me I could easy see how folk over feed them.

Paul

That's correct I was always told when dogs get spayed they gain weight which is only true because apparently their metabolism slows down so keeping to the same food portions and exercise will increase weight. I reduced my teckels diet by 20% sine he was done and maintained the same weight give or take 100G or so. I think that's a issue why people avoid being spayed because they don't no the true facts.
Portions don't look big enough at times but so much is packed into dog food now it's awesome. A dog with a well balanced diet with the right exercise is a truly happy dog. A larthgic lazy dog is unhappy and poor ownership.

Give a dog a board of pies and the dog will eat the board of pies, it's that simple. I vary the amount my dogs have throughout the year depending if they are working or not. If they're putting on weight it's noticeable fairly quickly and any adjustments can be made.........this applies if your dog's healthy of course.

Last edited:
Give a dog a board of pies and the dog will eat the board of pies, it's that simple. I vary the amount my dogs have throughout the year depending if they are working or not. If they're putting on weight it's noticeable fairly quickly and any adjustments can be made.........this applies if your dog's healthy of course.

Feeding dogs is no more complicated than this.

I have two working cockers that are trim, they can get almost twice as much food during the winter while working three days a week than they do in the summer while doing nothing, their body shape hardly changes year around. I sold a pup to one of my mates, he and his wife are both real fatties, surprise surprise, the 2yrs old pup is now a fatty. It really ****es me off seeing obese dogs, its as much a case of dog abuse as battering them in my mind.

The breed standard does not help either. "Strongly built, short-coupled, very active; broad in skull; broad and deep through chest and ribs; broad and strong over loins and hindquarters." - See more at: The Kennel Club

Show bred always look overweight to me.

Don't know about show bred but the ones that appear on Crufts are disgrace, fat and out of condition

The breed standard does not help either. "Strongly built, short-coupled, very active; broad in skull; broad and deep through chest and ribs; broad and strong over loins and hindquarters." - See more at: The Kennel Club

Show bred always look overweight to me.

Back