Amax

big ears

Just heard hornady are pulling Amax. That will be a blow. Never shot them but presume Sierra matchkings are as good?

BE

Hornady are slowly replacing Amax with the new ELD projectile and Vmax with the ELD-x projectile.

This has already taken place with some lines.

Hornady are slowly replacing Amax with the new ELD projectile and Vmax with the ELD-x projectile.

This has already taken place with some lines.
That's really annoying as AMax is my standard target bullet for 6.5x55. I have a Lapua Scenar load that also works so I guess I will switch to that.

Hornady’s ELD-X bullet features a long, javelin-like body, a boattail base and the new Heat Shield Tip to improve long-range performance. Thanks to its tip, a sophisticated jacket and Hornady’s Interlock design,the ELD-X is a reliably expanding projectile intended for all-range hunting."

Will the ELD Match expand like the Amax ?

Last edited:
Keep the A max for targets and use Sierra Gamekings, 150gn@ 2650 ft/sec and drop the deer without fear of pencilling them.

Keep the A max for targets and use Sierra Gamekings, 150gn@ 2650 ft/sec and drop the deer without fear of pencilling them.
But it's the amax they are phasing out. Like you I think gamekings are the business but wonder if matchkings are a good alternative to amax

But it's the amax they are phasing out. Like you I think gamekings are the business but wonder if matchkings are a good alternative to amax

Are you referring to the "new" matchkings with the plastic tip which are the Sierra equivalent to the A-Max or the traditional matchkings?

A-max pencilling? You don't know much about A-max.... seen many game bullets pencilling but never an A-Max.
edi

+1. Amax are the same construction as vmax, they expand rapidly and reliably. The new ELDs will be the same however, and the ELD-X is the same but features a locking ring like the interlock. Hopefully the ELDs will be considered a target bullet like its amax predecessor.

A-max pencilling? You don't know much about A-max.... seen many game bullets pencilling but never an A-Max.
edi

+1 the whole reason some people (obviously not me) use them is because there is little/no chance of penciling, in fact does a well known Kiwi not name them as one of the best hunting projectiles of all time with reliable expansion way down to <1500 fps

Although it should be pretty clear by Basc stating they are not officially classed as expanding in this country, so can't be seen as an expanding round ;) lol. We know they fragment pretty well however I would not like to be the first to be prosecuted for using them on Mr deer

I must admit I use Gamekings which I find to be very accurate although I do now have a load developed for the Sierra TMKs too. Purely out of interest, anyone know yet if the TMKs expand as reliably as A-max? Also, I'd have thought it's not a given that anyone could be prosecuted for the use of A-max or other similar rounds as the wording on Schedule 2 of the Act is not that specific.

It just lists prohibited ammunition as anything other than soft nosed or hollow tipped bullets. Amax (and TMK) are hollow tipped cores with the addition of the polymer resin to aid BC. They may not state that they are a controlled expansion round (ie that they have reliable and controlled expansion) but given the weight of evidence in support of Amax being a very suitable and humane round to use on quarry, you would have to be unlucky to be prosecuted for causing unnecessary suffering unless that was proved to be the case, surely? That's not a personal argument for the use of non-expanding ammo, as I use softpoint bullets, but it raises an interesting point. Some people have one rifle for multiple uses and like to keep things simple and reliable by having one load to cover all bases.

I must admit I use Gamekings which I find to be very accurate although I do now have a load developed for the Sierra TMKs too. Purely out of interest, anyone know yet if the TMKs expand as reliably as A-max? Also, I'd have thought it's not a given that anyone could be prosecuted for the use of A-max or other similar rounds as the wording on Schedule 2 of the Act is not that specific.

It just lists prohibited ammunition as anything other than soft nosed or hollow tipped bullets. Amax (and TMK) are hollow tipped cores with the addition of the polymer resin to aid BC. They may not state that they are a controlled expansion round (ie that they have reliable and controlled expansion) but given the weight of evidence in support of Amax being a very suitable and humane round to use on quarry, you would have to be unlucky to be prosecuted for causing unnecessary suffering unless that was proved to be the case, surely? That's not a personal argument for the use of non-expanding ammo, as I use softpoint bullets, but it raises an interesting point. Some people have one rifle for multiple uses and like to keep things simple and reliable by having one load to cover all bases.
I think the main argument against Amax for hunting use is,unless the law is changed to get rid of the ridiculous sec5 status of expanding ammo, then the continued pushing to use Amax could result in it losing its exemption as "non-expanding" this will only affect those who use it most....target shooters! some of whom will buy Amax by the 1000's by mail order, so they will lose the use of it just so a few tight wads can shoot a couple of dozen rounds a year at Deer for a few pounds less than bullets made for that very purpose ? can't see the point myself.

Back