Bavarian Boar hunt.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Well friday came and there was 1 drive about 4 hours.
I shot a running fox (at full tilt) and was just reloading my magazine when to my left I heard the movement of pigs hidden in a scrub area.
I stood up and readied myself as a dog was coming near.
The dog picked up the pigs wind and started to cry in a very excited manner as it entered the cover.
The pigs burst out but were partially out of my veiw there were 4 of them.
When they emerged into a clearer area they were skylined on the edge of my area so I dearn't shoot.
They went out of sight followed by the dog and minutes later there was a volly of shots.
I was by this time shaking that bad I had to sit down.
That was all I saw that drive and was collected and taken down to the others who were having a beer.
the bodies were gutted and then the ceromonies were done.
I was then asked by my host as there was snow and a moon did i want to try a seat for a few hours.
So I spent the evening 4 1/2 hours under the moon in a high seat watching 30 reds feeding beneath my seat.
At 8 I had to leave to meet my lift.
When I told my host no pigs arrived he said I should have shot a red.
Saturday was a big hunt 1 massive drive 60 hunters covered 1/2 the county I think.
About 2 hours into the drive after only seeing a distant fox, from the valley behind me I heard 3 very close shots, I stood up and turned around behind the tree to look.
Then I heard a scuffle to my left a big pig ran accross the track at full gallop I swung up the rem mag and centred the red dot on the pigs head maintaing lead I shot and nothing, reloading without taking the gun from my shoulder I reaimed more centre mass this time and fired the pig shuddered and ran on over the crest.
I knew i'd hit it but it was gone.
I reloaded again when 4 piglets crossed after her I made a poorly aimed shot and fired over the top but they were small and very quick.
I was dying to move to look but was told (and i'm disiplined enough) not to leave my peg.
After 3 more hours the drive was over so I unloaded and went for a look.
My second shot had done the damage I could see in the snow skid marks but no blood??
3 m's further the blood trail started and was very conspicuous on the snow, 30 m's further I could see it laid dead.
I had hit its heart the 175gr breaking the leg on the exit leaving only a 20p sized hole. (god they are tough bug**rs).
So i fired 5 shots and had a fox and a pig.
We had a few more adventures but that will stay on tour.
e30739.gif
e30773.gif

PIC_0133.jpg

PIC_0137.jpg

R0012076.jpg

Hi John
Sounds like you had fun, I'll await the full story when your down next ;).

Had to turn down an invite to Gemany this year but going next year, looking foward to it after playing in the shooting cinema:D.

Atb Wayne

Well done John!

What happens on tour stays on tour :cool: Mmmmmhh, as long as it did not involve romper suits like Waynes tour to Holland :norty:

ft

Nice pictures, looks like a good driven hunt with the amount and size of animals shot.
I hate to be a pain :oops: but was the boar you shot the sow of the piglets? Normally you wait a while when a big boar runs from cover to see what gender it is and if she has dependant piglets following her. Such a "lead sow" may not be shot. Sorry if i spoil you're enthousiasm, i feel like this emoticon :old:

Nice pictures, looks like a good driven hunt with the amount and size of animals shot.
I hate to be a pain :oops: but was the boar you shot the sow of the piglets? Normally you wait a while when a big boar runs from cover to see what gender it is and if she has dependant piglets following her. Such a "lead sow" may not be shot. Sorry if i spoil you're enthousiasm, i feel like this emoticon :old:
It was a big sow but had no milk and the piglets were well behind her, I had no more than a second to shoot before she would have been gone and the piglets hadn't even come into view.
There was no problem with my hosts and most (if not all) of the piglets were shot further down the line anyway.
The brief we were given was ANY pigs all foxes and NO roe.

nice one great pictures look forward to listening about it tommorrow atb,wayne,ps i knew you wouldnt turn down a fox

Sounds like a fantastic trip, well done.
I bet the adrenalin was pumping something fierce, I take it that it was the adrenalin and not the cold that had you shaking!
Well done again.
Regards,
Pete

Hi John,

Sounds like a great bit of sport was had by all,

Was all that lot from one drive ?

Guy

there was a drive on friday and 1 on saturday the 2 photos show each drives total.
49 and 11 foxes on saturday with another 4 picked the day after with the tracking dogs.

And big pete the shivering WAS the adrenelin (shaking like a shitting dog).
It was cold on the peg for 5 hours but I had got dressed for it and apart from a toe which kept going numb i was ok.

Last edited:
Nice write up and wnderfull photographs.

I am off to Germany on Friday to my German friends shoot. His shoot is in the Mozelle Valley about 25km from Koblenz. I have five nights up a high seat under the moon and according to the weather reports, there is light snow and freezing teperatures. Perfect conditions. I shall share my experiences with you on my return.

Back