Which slug gun to purchase?

JasonH

Now that I am settling into the US it has become apparent that on some of my hunting permissions in the hunt club I am a member of only allow the use of shotguns with slugs due to there proximity to urban areas (i know can you believe it).

It seems that shotguns for slugs have moved on a great deal an I have shortlisted down to 2 possibilities:

CZ 620 big game - 20 Gauge pump action with a rifled choke and barrel with scope mount = $399 or,
Savage have a 20 Gauge bolt action with a fully rifled barrel $450.

I'm kind of swinging toward the CZ 620 as it would be fun for Piggys and we have had some feral hogs shot on some of the permissions recently (200lb one shot in early march).

I realise this may be a limited post to UK stalkers but hoping our US buddies could shed some light on there opinions.

Rgds

Jason.

I travel and work all over the USA, and hunt and fish where I can. In places like Indiana, slug guns are the norm, and they are refined.
Something like a Mossberg 500 pump gun with a rifled barrel and a low power or red dot sight on a cantilever rail mount attached to the barrel is 150 yard capable, and 100 yards all day.

I would go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, because you can buy it as a shotgun with choke tubes, and add the special barrel. Then you have a bird gun. There is a lot of great upland and duck and goose hunting around northern Virginia.

Here ya go.... Not all fancy but 100% serviceable.... add a 22 rifle and you'll never need anything else east of the mississippi... Skip that 20 gauge.. 12 may have a few meters shorter range but everyone will have shells for it (prolly cheaper?) and you'll never have to wonder if you have enough gun...

http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-500-Shotgun-Combo/product/10217926/

check out walmart... may be cheaper there.... paid 159 dollars for my combo... couple years ago tho....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Weatherby offer their PA-08 Synthetic as a combo : http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/pa_08/pa08_sluggun_synthetic, which I guess you've seen, $450 at BassPro, but at 7lbs it would be no strain to carry all day.

I have their SA-08 Synthetic Waterfowler, a Turkish made copy Beretta, hardwearing, very light and fast handling, a go-to workhorse.

The Mossbergs are also made in Turkey, by Armsan.

Not sure if you can find Armsan's own brand shotguns in the US. They do an A620 Slug : http://www.armsan.com/products/a620-slug/71/armsan.html and a very good range of copy Benellis. All well worth a look.

Thanks all I will add the mossberg to the shortlist especially as it has a rifled barrel. I recently got a Benelli Montefeltro for clays and winged game. Its a left handed one so took a while to come but worth the wait its a lovely piece of kit.

I would go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, because you can buy it as a shotgun with choke tubes, and add the special barrel. Then you have a bird gun. There is a lot of great upland and duck and goose hunting around northern Virginia.

Its good to have the shot and slug barrel combo. I've got a 870 wingmaster with a 20" slug barrel and a 30" shot barrel. The slug barrel will shoot a 2" group at 50 mtrs with S&B slugs. With a rifled slug barrel and sabots it should shoot even better.

It would be a Reminton for me with the rifled slug interchangeable barrel and ipsc long tube with sst slugs yeehaa :D

Its good to have the shot and slug barrel combo. I've got a 870 wingmaster with a 20" slug barrel and a 30" shot barrel. The slug barrel will shoot a 2" group at 50 mtrs with S&B slugs. With a rifled slug barrel and sabots it should shoot even better.

X 2 , but I'd go with a rifled barrel that has an integral cantilever scope base , they tend to be more accurate and it's easy to switch barrels without the need to re- zero after . If you have younger eyes , I don't , the same applies to the iron sight equipped barrels .

AB

X 2 , but I'd go with a rifled barrel that has an integral cantilever scope base , they tend to be more accurate and it's easy to switch barrels without the need to re- zero after . If you have younger eyes , I don't , the same applies to the iron sight equipped barrels .

AB

If i was buying again it would be the rifled barrel with the cantilever scope base. I have a saddle mount and Aimpoint Micro on my 870.

If i was buying again it would be the rifled barrel with the cantilever scope base. I have a saddle mount and Aimpoint Micro on my 870.

I've used the saddle mounts myself, they worked really well for me . The only thing that bothered me was it was a pain to switch it out when I used the 870 for waterfowl or grouse . I always had to re-zero the scope when I re-installed it , sometimes it was off by a substantial amount . With the cantilever base , the scope or other sight stays with the barrel and doesn't shift , very handy .

AB

I've used the saddle mounts myself, they worked really well for me . The only thing that bothered me was it was a pain to switch it out when I used the 870 for waterfowl or grouse . I always had to re-zero the scope when I re-installed it , sometimes it was off by a substantial amount . With the cantilever base , the scope or other sight stays with the barrel and doesn't shift , very handy .

AB

I just leave the Aimpoint in place when i shoot the shot barrel. I only use the shot barrel when shooting steel shot at ducks. Seems to work OK.

I've messed with alot of slug guns over the last 15 or so years . Without a doubt "The Best" for shooting deer at anything over 100 yards are the fixed barrel guns .

Hence I happen to have a Savage 220 20 gauge and an earlier Savage 210 in a 12 gauge .

I did the 870 , 1100 and 11/87's and they couldn't hold a candle to the bolt guns . I even happened to have a Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge fully rifled for awhile , that one shot as good as the Savage 210 but at twice the price .

The little Savage 220 has killed deer for me out past 125 yards no problem . With the 210 I've taken several at close to 100 yards . The places I generally use these things is pretty thick .

Had a coupld of the H&R Ultra Slug DeLuxe 20 gauge guns and they both shot nicely although very heavy . You can get into one of these for a good bit less then the Savage bolt gun .

I've also had very decent results with the Remington factory loaded AccuTip sabot slugs 2 3/4" in both the 12 and 20 . That came after years of trying variouse slugs . Federal used to make a Barnes all copper Expander that worked very well in the 12 gauge . Latter I used Winchester Partition Gold in both the 12 and 20 with good results , both these shells use a Nosler Partition made slug . After that the next thing was the Hornady SST and they both shot well enough . But the Remington AccuTip shoots better in my two and does a very nice job as long as I do mine !

Two Sika hind's I got on the Blackwater back in 2010 I think with the Savage 220 .

Here's a whitetail doe I killed on the Blackwater in 2009 before the 220 had even been put in the Savage catalog !
Shot this one at a stepped off 136 yards !

Thanks Sika

I am tempted by the savage bolt action in 20 gauge everyone seems to be really impressed with it. No immediate rush so will keep my eyes open for a secondhand one and likewise if you come across one let me know.

Benelli arrived last week so need to figure out when I can find some time to pop down and challenge you for another round of skeet :)

ATB Jason.

20 gauge is all you need for deer, and for hogs closer.
Where I used to hunt as a boy, lots of it was driven hunts, in very thick cover, with buckshot inside 25 yards.

Later, my son learned to shoot on a Remington 1100 LT with a 21 inch barrel. With the cylinder bore, the 20-ga slug was like a hammer at close range. Now I have a combination gun in 20 ga and 7x57R. I cannot wait to bag something with it.

My guns are nothing like the accuracy of these dedicated bolt action slug guns, or pump guns with cantilever optics mounted on a rifled barrel with iron sights. Take the advice of folks who hunt in areas of VA, MD, Delaware, Indiana, where there is mandatory slug or black powder or handgun only. They have their slug guns figured out.

Last edited:
Thanks Sika

I am tempted by the savage bolt action in 20 gauge everyone seems to be really impressed with it. No immediate rush so will keep my eyes open for a secondhand one and likewise if you come across one let me know.

Benelli arrived last week so need to figure out when I can find some time to pop down and challenge you for another round of skeet :)

ATB Jason.
Sure come on down we can shoot skeet or trap most anytime you like . Oh I failed to mention before Savafe also makes the 220 in a left handed version now .

Back