Red rut 2015

glogin

Took couple of days off for the rut. Seen several nice stags, but shot an older cull stag, that I still considered as a nice trophy. I did not take any of the bigger master stags as I was not sure their age.
It was filmed in Poland and here probably should come some explanation as why I took this stag and not the other.
In this country all stalkers have to follow selective shooting and every trophy is scored after the season. The stags (fallow bucks, roebucks too..) have to be shot according to permit given and follow certain criteria, otherwise there are some consequences, such as ban for another two years...
For example, a medal head stag has to be over 11yo. 8..11yo should be below 5.5kg net weight, etc. Criteria are quite complex and aging deer is never easy...
I took a stag I knew was over 8yo and unlikely to be above 5.5kg, but in this area most of the stags are medal class and most I saw I think were quite young.
Please comment if you think and other stag was good to take and why.
Rifle Blaser R8 in .308 and SST 165gr reloads. 141kg larder weight.
Hope you enjoy it, thanks for watching.

An excellent piece, thanks for sharing.

im afraid I don't know too much about you, other than from your posts, but am I right in thinking you've moved to Poland fairly recently?

How have you managed to get onto such fantastic opportunities in such a short time? Is this public/private/syndicated land? Certainly looks like a superb red population. Very well done.

novice

Lovely video as always, you have a but of a talent sir. Also intrigued on recovery..... No video of huffing and puffing...?

Absolute cracking video Greg :thumb: cant wait for the smell of a rutting stag myself

Well done again..........scott

An excellent piece, thanks for sharing.

im afraid I don't know too much about you, other than from your posts, but am I right in thinking you've moved to Poland fairly recently?

How have you managed to get onto such fantastic opportunities in such a short time? Is this public/private/syndicated land? Certainly looks like a superb red population. Very well done.

novice

I am originally from Poland and the land I stalk is near my parents or my in laws. Stalking is organised in Poland around hunting clubs leasing land from the state (hunting rights and wild animals are state owned and not tied to land/landowner) and I joined one of the clubs. There are some nice red deer there yes :)

Another great video Greg the deer are in tremendous condition and plenty of them. How many do you take out from the woodland.

The land is leased by the club something about 9000 ha I think we take 17 stags and 30 odd hinds and calves so not that many plus some roe and about 50 pigs.
Thanks for your comments

I thoroughly enjoyed that, there's very little to compared with the thrill of being in a wood with rutting red stags nearby, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

With regard to the other stag, I'm not a real expert but the bez tines seemed to be missing, maybe indicating a younger animal with potential.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, there's very little to compared with the thrill of being in a wood with rutting red stags nearby, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

With regard to the other stag, I'm not a real expert but the bez tines seemed to be missing, maybe indicating a younger animal with potential.

This is difficult area for myself in regards as to what can be shot as most of the stags even at 6-7yo get into medal range and many are too young and promissing stags. Hardly any of them have bay tines. Usually brow, missing bay and then trey tines and a big crown, I think them missing bay tines is rather area/genetic specific thing than something indicating age here. In the other area I stalk almost all stags have bay tines...

Back