Is my bushnell Fake how to tell?

robert1666

i have a bushnell 3x9x50 wide angle scope on the underside written in gold writing #(not engraved) it says 71-3950 then undenr that it says water resisatant then under that it says AQ then under that it says china

now someone has told me that bushnell is american and this scope is probably a fake cause it says china any one else any input to this ??

this scope i bought new from a gunsmith i paid £120 all that was in box was silly bit of paper about how to set rifle scope nothing about guarntee etc ohh and im suspecting that its knackerd thats why its throughing my shots all over the bit

Last edited:
I recently bought a new Bushnell, I think that may have been made in China with a silly bit of paper on how to set it up. You get identical instructions on the Bushnell website. However mine also came with a Bushnell guarantee/ registration card. atb Tim

i have a bushnell 3x9x40 wide angle scope on the underside written in gold writing #(not engraved) it says 71-3950 then undenr that it says water resisatant then under that it says AQ then under that it says china

now someone has told me that bushnell is american and this scope is probably a fake cause it says china any one else any input to this ??

this scope i bought new from a gunsmith i paid £120 all that was in box was silly bit of paper about how to set rifle scope nothing about guarntee etc ohh and im suspecting that its knackerd thats why its throughing my shots all over the bit

Take it back with a big smile on your dace and ask for your money back,

not fit for purpose. simples.

bob.

Have you put it on a collimator to check if the windage and elevation is tracking as it should? Make sure it is the scope before demanding anything from the gunshop but if they are worth their salt they will want to sort the problem for you.

I recently bought a new Bushnell, I think that may have been made in China with a silly bit of paper on how to set it up. You get identical instructions on the Bushnell website. However mine also came with a Bushnell guarantee/ registration card. atb Tim

Well mine never came with any guarantee card that's what's making me wonder and the gunsmith it came from is only a small workshop out his back door but if it is faulty I will take it back as you aren't allowed to sell counterfit goods rember this was 4 -5 years ago, however what I'm wanting to know is how do I tell if its a fake?

Well mine never came with any guarantee card that's what's making me wonder and the gunsmith it came from is only a small workshop out his back door but if it is faulty I will take it back as you aren't allowed to sell counterfit goods rember this was 4 -5 years ago, however what I'm wanting to know is how do I tell if its a fake?
I've just taken a second look at the paperwork that came with it, this includes:-jj vickers & son ltd - authorised importers & distibuters guarantee card, US tasco registration card, Bushnell riflescope instructions (A3 size Glossy sheet, printed both sides), Bushnell shim guide booklet, Bushnell, Denver, US registration card, Bushnell/Baush & lomb/Jason US Guarantee card. I couldn't otherwise tell if your scope is a fake but if it lacks all the paperwork you must query why not. Where exactly does yours say that is "made in China"? atb Tim

I've just taken a second look at the paperwork that came with it, this includes:-jj vickers & son ltd - authorised importers & distibuters guarantee card, US tasco registration card, Bushnell riflescope instructions (A3 size Glossy sheet, printed both sides), Bushnell shim guide booklet, Bushnell, Denver, US registration card, Bushnell/Baush & lomb/Jason US Guarantee card. I couldn't otherwise tell if your scope is a fake but if it lacks all the paperwork you must query why not. Where exactly does yours say that is "made in China"? atb Tim

Mine says on the underside written in gold writing #(not engraved) it says 71-3950 then under that it says water resisatant then under that it says AQ then under that it says china what about urs?

I can't really see anyone fakeing a scope like this but, having said that, they make counterfit batteries and dvds which are only worth pennies so who knows?

I'll be totally honest, and I'm sure lots of people will disagree, but I don't think that you will have much comeback on a 4-5 year old £120 scope even if it is genuine.

Mine says on the underside written in gold writing #(not engraved) it says 71-3950 then under that it says water resisatant then under that it says AQ then under that it says china what about urs?

One has "Bushnell High Contrast Optics" in white lettering on the inner rim of the objective lens, the other has "Bushnell Trophy XLT" in white lettering repeated 3 x on the outer objective lens rim. Lettering on the variable poer settings is also in white. No other model nos. Sticker on one says "fast focus eyepiece, finger tip Windage & Elevation, Amber coated Lens".

Try the Bushnell website to see if they have anything similar to yours

atb Tim

Sadly a lot of big makers are beating a path to China for the cheap labour. never mind the home country or market just rape the market whilst you can.

I agree in part Brit, BUT. My optical mirror supplier went down the Swanny a couple of years back. I had brought concave projector mirrors from them for more than twenty years. One of the managers of that company contacted me after a few months, with an offer to supply mirrors from China.
Downside is I have to buy in larger batches 500 min.
Upside is they are cheaper and honestly better made. So much so that I've had to re-engineer the mirror holder because these new mirrors are just so damned precise. There was enough slop in the tolerance of the old mirrors that the holder could be sloppy and still work, not any more.;)

Other than the lamp, mirror and one UV filter, everything else on my projector is hand made by my company from UK suppliers. Not raping the market or trying to outsource parts to China etc. I simply cannot buy what I need from home anymore. Sad but true.

Sorry to mug the thread, but I had to speak out for the British firms who are trying so hard to say "Made in the UK" on their products.

Mark

Sadly a lot of big makers are beating a path to China for the cheap labour. never mind the home country or market just rape the market whilst you can.

Last edited:
Buckup. I understand what you say te Chinese CAN make quality it's usually the "Buyer" who specifies such a silly price that they cannot do much else but make to the lowest amount. However the Buyer then whacks on a huge mark up.

Then we come to the fact that the Chinese quality control can be rather poor. They seem to ship what ever is produced in a lot of cases regardless of how good or bad.

I have a feeling that these factories that just ship anything are probably the ones using enforced labour. Something that is not mentioned in Polite company but is a fact. Canon for instance have been making quite a lot of their optics in China for many years now but it seems they at least keep reins on the QC issue.

China supplies the british consumer with goods at a price they want to pay quality does not come into it.
Its the consumers unwillingness to pay for quality that has killed the industry for this level of products, basically the majority of brits are tight fisted skinflints who not only wont pay for quality, they are now so used to cheap tat they dont know what quality is.
Sorry for going off on a sideline like this.
Back to the original subject, Bushnell is a US company started by an ex US serviceman in Japan after WW2.
At one stage all their optics were made in Japan but now only their preimier lines are made there, the rest made in China and Taiwan but with high level Bushnell QC.

Ian.

sounds stupid but does it smell like brunt rubber.... big give away i had one and it was utter crap, look through a proper one and you can tell the diff immediately

Buckup. I understand what you say te Chinese CAN make quality it's usually the "Buyer" who specifies such a silly price that they cannot do much else but make to the lowest amount. However the Buyer then whacks on a huge mark up.

Then we come to the fact that the Chinese quality control can be rather poor. They seem to ship what ever is produced in a lot of cases regardless of how good or bad.
I have a feeling that these factories that just ship anything are probably the ones using enforced labour. Something that is not mentioned in Polite company but is a fact. Canon for instance have been making quite a lot of their optics in China for many years now but it seems they at least keep reins on the QC issue.

My Berghaus boots that fell apart after 4 weeks is testament to that !!!

Back