Best scopes

User00003

Best scopes in the market at present,,I mean real hunting scopes, not this plastic fantastic digital stuff:lol:

Leica 1.5-8x32 (only available in US) - Range // Leica ER 5 // Riflescopes // Sport Optics - Leica Camera AG

The above has knocked this one off the post - Leupold Optics VX-3 1.75-6x32mm - | Leupold Optics

Wish the Leica had the good Gloss looks,,but due to going down to 1.5 also now just beats Leupold Optics VX-3 2.5-8x36mm - | Leupold Optics

Swaro 3-9x36 1" - Z3 Rifle scopes SWAROVSKI OPTIK

Docter 1-4x24 - DOCTER®classic 1-4x24- Docter

Docter 2.5-10x48 - DOCTER®classic 2,5-10x48- Docter

Above in competition with S&B 2.5-10x40 - Schmidt Bender - 2.5-10x40 Summit

Only just making the list as has gone to 30mm tube..much preferred in 1"
S&B 6x42 - Schmidt Bender - 6x42 Klassik

If you really must have a big one - S&B 7x50 - Schmidt Bender - 7x50 Klassik

Leupold 2-7x33, A cracking scope for light rifles, esp. in Gloss - Leupold Optics VX-1 2-7x33mm - | Leupold Optics

Wishes:

Leica - should be 1.5-8x34 or x36, should be 1" tube or 26mm and come in Gloss black and get rid of the big red logo on the turret caps, and get steel not plastic caps

Leupold - Get the 1.75-6x36 down to 1.25-6x36 and you have a clear 1st place

Swaro - 1" tube please,, also, offer choice in Gloss black with steel caps like the habicht was

S&B - go back to 1" tubes please,,,please please please re-launch the 4x36 and launch a 1.25 -6 X 36 or X40

Zeiss - re-invent yourselves, get back to the basics as per the diatal and diavari series (3-9x36, 4x32, 6x32, 1.6-6x42, etc.)..once hunters wake up and smell the coffee and realise they've been sold, the slim light and simple good quality and classic looking scopes are going to take off again...watch this space.

Last edited:
interesting , you seem to want the manufactures to build scopes that are market obsolete and not good sellers?

demand dictates market.

This post has made me moist of eye:
$_57.JPG

If only Redfield had used Zeiss lenses!

K

interesting , you seem to want the manufactures to build scopes that are market obsolete and not good sellers?

demand dictates market.

I think you will find it's the other way around with the scope market, they have for a while now not been responding to market demand, but building up a belief that extra features and 'size' is necessary and remotely helpful.

At the end of the day, the more features the more can break and the more time you will spend before getting a round downrange, the more features and size, the more weight, the higher the scope on the rifle, the worse the cheek weld and line of sight, the worse the shot.. Moreover, the more messing about with the scope the more belief one has that it's the equipment that makes the shot and not the shooter. More optics assistance built in to compensate for holdover invariably leads people to believe they are able to take shots at longer and longer ranges, which they are not, and again, leads to poor shot placement on deer.

Extra zoom leads people to think they can take head and neck shots when they really can't, just because they can suddenly see the crosshairs on the head/neck, doesn't mean they can place the bullet there in the end.

I look at the majority of the scopes in the market today with complete disbelief, I have been struggling to find scopes I would want anywhere near my rifles, even anywhere near my house,,the above list are scopes I believe embody tradition, quality, ruggedness, value, simplicity and aesthetics..real scopes that work, no funny business, scopes you can rely on, scopes that sit well and low on the rifle and which will not run out of battery!

The plastic fantastic 'black' look on rifles and the over-complication of some rifle scopes these days is like a bad fashion or music era,,we will look back one day and shake our heads...what were we thinking!

Simple and more classic scopes still sell very well in the US, example, Leica developed the ER5 range for the US because they realise what's actually needed for hunting, same with Leupold (despite some of Leupolds recent eye sores!),,,whereas they pester the European market with this hideous monster called the Leica Magnum,,why, because the European 'thinks' it 'needs' these features to shoot deer, and for some unbelievable reason are willing to spend un-imaginable amounts of money on rifle scopes..

Last deer I shot,,,last light, 6pt buck, 215yds off sticks, simple zeiss 3-9x36 set at 4.5 zoom, plex reticle...honestly, couldn't have wanted any more or less scope,,light was like daylight when looking through it despite the fading light, reticle was fine but easily visible on the H/L area, zoom, more than enough, in fact, I zoomed it up to 9x just to reiterate my own belief, saw the wobble area and realised it would not be good for my trigger release, zoomed it back to around 4.5 and the wobble area (still there) had diminished, so I felt very confident the bullet would hit the spot when I squeezed the trigger,,lo and behold, a perfect shot and he fell with only a short run before expiring (I blame the run on the 6.5x55 I was testing,,had it been the 7x57 he would dropped instantly of course!! LOL).

Oh purlease!

I like compact scopes for purpose - don't get me wrong. I am very fond of my Swaro 3-9x36A Swarovski Habicht. I also have a Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory HT on my 30-06. (Why is this to be avoided, but the older model praised?)

But! (and it's a big But!) I really like the Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory HT for its intended purpose too. As it happens, I reckon my favourite is the 2.5-10x50 which can't be far off the spec and dimensions of the Docter classic you quote. I haven't looked through a Docter, so can't comment on the relative optical quality.

I also like Leupold. They feel good and are robust, but even their best friends are not going to describe the optics as better than 'ok'; especially given their price point in the UK now.

I think traditionalism has its place and you are obviously an experienced stalker with a bias towards the compact end of the market, but there are some stunning optical products out there from all the major players.... and some of them have larger objectives. :D

I'm not sold on super zoom scopes though, so perhaps we do have some common ground. :lol:

warm regards

Ian

marketeers dictate markets.

People didnt realise they NEEDED 56mm Objectives, 34mm tubes and zoom range up into the 30x until makers started making and marketing them

just look at the prices 8x50 and 8x56 S&B and Swaros hold

Best scopes in the market at present,,I mean real hunting scopes.......

PKL. I think you are missing a significant point. Currently I want a scope on my rifle that allows me to:

• perform load development;
  • practice;
  • participate in rifle training courses;
  • compete;
  • practice a bit more;
  • and finally stalk.

Since I started reloading, less than 5% of the centrefire rounds I fire are at deer. The tack I currently take is to bolt one scope to my rifle and leave it there. Depending on what I'm doing I may turn the magnification down for stalking or up for other activities. The scopes listed above don't meet my requirements.

Regards

JCS

PKL. I think you are missing a significant point. Currently I want a scope on my rifle that allows me to:

• perform load development;
  • practice;
  • participate in rifle training courses;
  • compete;
  • practice a bit more;
  • and finally stalk.

Since I started reloading, less than 5% of the centrefire rounds I fire are at deer. The tack I currently take is to bolt one scope to my rifle and leave it there. Depending on what I'm doing I may turn the magnification down for stalking or up for other activities. The scopes listed above don't meet my requirements.

Regards

JCS

point taken John, however, I do have to say that my point was about hunting scopes where you use your rifle for hunting/stalking. You're describing 95% of your shooting as non-hunting, so what you're really doing is using a non-hunting scope/setup for hunting. Your requirements as such, is not a hunting rifle, but a target/practice rifle which will work 'ok' for hunting. Personally, I want my hunting rifle to be a 'hunting rifle', and not one which is in any way shape or form going to be used for competition, target work (apart from some practice), or load development (once a load is found that's it, stick with it, so probably a one time exercise for which IMHO, any scope can be used).

Same goes the other way around, if the point of the exercise was to locate the best practice, load development and target scopes, my short list would have been significantly different, featuring S&B PM's, Hensoldt, etc. and no swaro's or zeiss or leica.

I must admit to thinking that PKL is pretty correct. Personally I like smaller scopes mounted low on a rifle. 6x42 is the do all and as they are out of fashion you can get them for not a lot of money. The 1.5-6x42 strikes me as a very useful hunting scope for bigger game - ie deer upwards and for double duty fox/vermin and deer a3-9 or 4-12 x42 or 50 can be useful.

I mi am a hunter. I do reload, but that's more for cost and I use a rare calibre in the UK.

But JCS isn't wrong either, as he has very different needs from his rifles. A big part of his enjoyment is getting the max accuracy out of his rifles. For me, provided a rifle can put its first shot through the vitals at a reasonable range that's what matters.

Reticles - I like a simple 4a. The older plex is oK but much prefer the 4a.

The he beauty is there is no correct or incorrect answer.

I must admit I do like my 44mm z6i

ive never thaught to myself I wish I had a 50mm or 56mm

and it's lighter

P, Hope you've got your rucksack packed as you've just agreed with me,,and could be chased by people with torches and pitchforks at any moment soon.

yes but they will be carrying their plastic tactical rifles with large scopes and dressed head to toe in 6 layers of Harkila - I will run for the hills and then watch!!!! :stir: (or where is the one with tin helmets)

yes but they will be carrying their plastic tactical rifles with large scopes and dressed head to toe in 6 layers of Harkila - I will run for the hills and then watch!!!! :stir: (or where is the one with tin helmets)

I do like the view from the moral high ground...must try and get up there someday! LOL...

The old Redfield 3-9x40 on my 270 is 1981 vintage, had no reason to change it, it is like looking through the tv though. small and compact for me, but most impressed with modern glass, just not sure i would want to carry some of them for fear of doing my back in...

Last edited:
I think it depends upon what type of hunting you do, I hunt abroad on a regular basis in some of the highest mountain ranges and I use an S&B PM2. In these situations the terrain dictates the distance, when I use the same scope for UK stalking I always have it set on 3 and have discovered in the heat of the moment at normal stalking ranges i.e. point and squeeze your brain won't even register the low magnification.
Below is a picture from earlier on the year from a hunt in Azerbaijan

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 60
The old Redfield 3-9x40 on my 270 is 1981 vintage, had no reason to change it, it is like looking through the tv though. small and compact for me, but most impressed with modern glass, just not sure i would want to carry some of them for fear of doing my back in...

Not even one of these??
20050701.V1.jpg

Cheers!

K
:D

36mm versus 50mm , your eye will be 7mm higher.

I don't think we will ever look back and laugh as you claim just as nobody looked backed and pined for open sights when your new fangled 4x32 was launched !

it's progress deal with it.:rofl:

Back