Check this out....wtf?

Yep, been rumbling away in the news for a while now locally....... Not good for legal gun ownership I would say!! Done us all a disservice

Looks like your media is just as biased as ours! Lead off with "Terrifying", along with other loaded words. Shame to see such a nice collection go to destruction.

If all those guns were terrifying, why weren't they out committing crimes?

Looks like your media is just as biased as ours! Lead off with "Terrifying", along with other loaded words. Shame to see such a nice collection go to destruction.

it is, but there's no escaping the fact that what he's got there couldn't be further from legal, and whilst I'm sure they have over-egged bits of it it's not much different to what all the other local media has been saying, and terrifying, well I'm inclined to agree it is terrifying to think that that many guns could be amassed ilegaly by one individual.

And the illegal cast lead and swaged lead pulled bullets!

FWIW the sentence was six years...but I couldn't find that anywhere in the Mail Online report.

Last edited:
The big question is...........

How did did he get hold of them?

who supplied him with illegal and unregistered firearms?

as the article says, many of them were museum pieces, maybe a lot were de acs???

kjf

Yes, our media calls a handgun, shotgun and .22 rifle found in someone's home, "an arsenal".
But the 20,000 rounds of ammunition found in the home of the San Bernardino Christmas Party Terrorists is called, "a cache". They definitely have a style sheet, and a story template.

The thing is how many are actually de-activated?

I used to date a barrister in the 1990s and she showed me some of her firearms related defence briefs for my opinion.

The Crown Prosecution Service was "gilding the lily/over egging the pudding" left, right, and centre.

Well he was a RFD but I notice they did not mention that and he was also known as a dealer of deacts and obsolete guns... antiques, a couple of chaps in the old gun club bought antiques that needed a bit of tlc to be good for display from him. One was a Snider sporting rifle with hammer and firing pin missing. Amazed that I remembered that as it was about 20 years ago the name rang a bell as it is the same as the infamous bends on the A25 at Buckland.

Typical sensationalism reporting with little in the way of truth to get in the way. A sad reflection on the media today.

Jeez, I have a load of lead I was going to use for fishing weights, I recon it would equate to several thousand rounds, and what about all that brass, better remove the old horse brasses before renewal, all you keepers who collect up used cartridges at the end of day had better watch out, typical police B.S. The truth about how many de acts will never be known, what he did was illegal, but he never harmed anyone. It's as bad as the knife amnesty we see the police doing, painting over the cracks.

No more than this need have been said:

Chief Superintendent David Skevington said: 'James Arnold never offered any explanation for what he did; he simply said he had come by the weapons years ago and kept them safe to stop them causing any harm.
'We have asked every question and followed every line of inquiry and have found no evidence of a criminal or terrorist motive.
'The best explanation to date is that he was a collector and a hoarder who collected these weapons in the way some people collect stamps.'

The rest is probably just sensational journalism. Anything about guns sells copy.

Hard to say if any of those things are in a usable state. Most likely not with most of them. What's more, although you see piles of empty cases and piles of projectiles, there isn't one picture of a round that could be fired through anything. And you can bet if there was, there'd be a picture of it there.

He is just a collector, probably a bit deluded, doesn't look as though he really looked after them much. No doubt many of them, despite not being able to have been fired, weren't properly and legally deactivated and I guess that's where he came adrift.

Ah. Hot Fuzz. More inaccurate...but very entertaining...nonsense on weapons factually incorrect. Sea mines don't "tick tock". The metal horns contain glass vials of electrolyte. Break the horn it trickles down to complete an electric circuit that detonates the detonator that blows the charge. Others use acid to do pretty much the same thing. But funny film nevertheless.

Last edited:
Ok we can explain the guns as he was a dealer and addicted with collecting guns..... How the duck do you explain how he got his hands on a anti tank missile !!!

That is true, thanks to him we haven't had any tank issues in the region for decades. Maybe we should be thanking this chap (posthumously) for protecting us and preventing WW3......

How the duck do you explain how he got his hands on a anti tank missile !!!

If you really want to know I would direct you to the ammunition storeman of 1st Battalion Worcester & Sherwood foresters (1WFR), a unit affectionately referred to as "We Flog Rockets". I just hope that the 66mm L1A1 LAW folk are waving about has been fired. If a live rocket is still in the tube there could be an unfortunate accident. If the rocket isn't in the tube then it's nothing more than a fibreglass pipe.

Back