Boiling head...got stuck...

wildfowler.250

Could anyone advise me on how I get the last 5% of bits off my skull. Just the wee bits around coronets, brain cavity, base of skull.

I'm currently got it out thinking flies will clean it up pretty quick. Then good wash, soak, bleach :confused:

Atb!

Dont leave it for flies, clean it properly. Just be patient and slowly remove all the bits. It takes time but it is worth it. Use small knife, screwdriver might help as well as small brush. You can use bended piece of wire to remove brain if you boiled the whole head. Then hydrogen peroxide on wet scull.

Dont leave it for flies, clean it properly. Just be patient and slowly remove all the bits. It takes time but it is worth it. Use small knife, screwdriver might help as well as small brush. You can use bended piece of wire to remove brain if you boiled the whole head. Then hydrogen peroxide on wet scull.

I've spent ages on it, it is almost finished. Nearly impossible to get the wee bits off it though? does the cartilage smell if you dont get it off,(I assume so). brain is out, its just fascia ect that I cant get 100% out :doh:

I sometimes take the pressure washer to the head, in order to get it clean. The issue with this is the fine nose bones come off if you aren't careful. Also I keep breaking the pressure washer.

Regards JCS

I've spent ages on it, it is almost finished. Nearly impossible to get the wee bits off it though? does the cartilage smell if you dont get it off,(I assume so). brain is out, its just fascia ect that I cant get 100% out :doh:

AS has been said knife fine screwdriver or chisel watch your fingers though, old tooth brush, pair of long nose pliers takes time but you can get them clean, sometimes helps to boil for a second time, if this is your first head don't worry it does get easier with practice, I know do around 200 a year.

Thanks for the replies! I may give it another quick boil later. It's had 25 and 10 min boils already though. I think it's almost at peroxide stage. I'm maybe just being a bit too fussy. The very last wee bits around base of skull are the trickiest. I may try a tooth scaler and pick bits out :lol:

CZ The lads have got it about right mate just take your time and sit out in the sun and pick away .I work at an edge and just keep it moveing back it dont take that long.PS the brain best way is when you boil the head only boil it for a 10 minute spell take it out and give the brain a stir with a 4 inch nail it gose to mush then put back in pan and the brain will flow out.;)

Cheers! I'll give it a wee clean just now. There's a few eggs in brain cavity but they couldn't do any harm? If not a quick boil would remove them. How clean does it have to be? I'm sure there are always a few bits people miss each time?

ATB!

I've got this far. I seem to be taking bits off the back of the skull+coronets and not getting anywhere. power hose? I doubt it is anywhere near a bronze? but I quite like it :cool:

ATB

Attachments

• boiled.JPG
    boiled.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 134
  • boiled back.JPG
    boiled back.JPG
    433.1 KB · Views: 114
It looks like a very nice trophy and certainly is a keeper. Weigh it and see if it is near what is expected. Send TDW from the site your estimate he will tell you if it is worth measuring.

It looks like a very nice trophy and certainly is a keeper. Weigh it and see if it is near what is expected. Send TDW from the site your estimate he will tell you if it is worth measuring.

Thanks! I still have those wee bits to pick off but I'm pretty pleased with it as a first attempt. I may try and do a short nosed cut if it isn't worth measuring. I tend to think they look better and it will get all the wee bits off the back of the skull as well. :confused:

Am I correct in thinking the full head,(less the bottom jaw) scores better though?

ATB!

Yes certainly so leave intact till its dry and after weighing if its not going to make a medal cut it if it is then leave till the measuring is complete

Thanks! I still have those wee bits to pick off but I'm pretty pleased with it as a first attempt. I may try and do a short nosed cut if it isn't worth measuring. I tend to think they look better and it will get all the wee bits off the back of the skull as well. :confused:

Am I correct in thinking the full head,(less the bottom jaw) scores better though?

ATB!

If you boil it again and use something with a fine point you will be able to get all the little bits off, did you use detergent when boiling it helps, washing soda is recommended but don't use it in an aluminium pot, I use biological washing powder and find it works just as well.

Like you I prefer the short nose cut but that may be as I am an:old: but nowadays the long nose is much preferred in fact most Europeans will have a fit if you cut them any way other than long nose.

Thanks for the replies! I used fairy liquid but I think that may only de-grease? I could try some Ariel (spelling) powder and a short boil?

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

I sometimes spend AGES picking the last bits off with a sharp knife,,,,it's tough work, but I want a clean white trophy for the wall, with long cut and no broken bits please:D oh, and I've tried having maggots crawl out from the nasal cavity unexpectedly in the livingroom, even though I was sure I got it all out!!!!! trust me, the Mrs WILL ban you from putting trophies up again, EVER!!! moral of the story, clean thoroughly! LOL

:lol: :lol: will give it another go this evening. some would say this is a funny hobby...

Yeah, when I told the lady in Boots what I needed Hydrogen Peroxide for, she looked at me as if I was some kind of sick f@ck. Since then I claim its for gargling, but then they look away as if to avoid bad breath...so stating its for a skin infection is better..why they have to ask, god knows!

I might just say it's for highlights in my hair or something ;)

Bad breath, skin infection or coming across like a complete creeper isn't going to get me the burd behind the counters number :lol:

I might just say it's for highlights in my hair or something ;)

Bad breath, skin infection or coming across like a complete creeper isn't going to get me the burd behind the counters number :lol:

I have a source for 90% hydrogen proxide, if you drop some on the ground it starts smoking think you would have a problem if you tried using it on your hair:rofl:

Back