Oil !

MrYou

Can this be pracatically done ?? There must be some organisation that can collect all the plastic that NEVER rots down, & simply cure our oil problem & recycle the waste. 2lb to 2pint of oil [:)]

http://www.flixxy.com/convert-plastic-to-oil.htm
The place would look so much better, with all the bags & cartons, NOT blowing about.:confused:

Can this be pracatically done ?? There must be some organisation that can collect all the plastic that NEVER rots down, & simply cure our oil problem & recycle the waste. 2lb to 2pint of oil [:)]

The place would look so much better, with all the bags & cartons, NOT blowing about.:confused:

I'm not sure about the energy efficiency or even the chemistry, let alone the cost, but I'm interested enough to look further into the details behind this apparently amazing machine.

Since I already do a bit of bio-diesel making, for our own consumption, this sort of thing is right up my street. Thanks for posting.

Breaking down and returning plastic to naptha the stuff used to make polymers from oil is not exactly easy and whenever the grade of plastic changes so would the process so it would be a nightmare and beyond and form of practical or energy efficient recovery.

Breaking down and returning plastic to naptha the stuff used to make polymers from oil is not exactly easy and whenever the grade of plastic changes so would the process so it would be a nightmare and beyond and form of practical or energy efficient recovery.

Obviously the energy efficiency is the first issue for any serious inquirer.

The Blest company, who make the machine, claim between 1 and 3 kwh of input energy per litre of fuel oil produced and they rate that litre of oil as containing 10kwh of energy. i.e a yield of 10:1 or down to 3.33:1

The issue that strikes me next is the cost of your input energy. Of course, if you plug into the national grid it's easy to get an input cost i.e. it's costing to produce, roughly, between 20p and 60p per litre of fuel (for electicity alone). It's more complex working out that cost if you generate your own electricity, but it should be cheaper (or not really worth doing)

Nexts comes the killer for me. The machine is advertised for sale at $12,700 US.

So, even if it's not a hoax and is viable in practical terms, the economics make it a rich man's indulgence and for that reason... I'm out :(

Last edited:

The police tape that`s hanging in the hedges will keep you in oil for a year.
basil.

Oh yes basil, and getting the various electioneering parties to remove their posters after they have done and dusted - and that goes for others who advertise and use our hill for their 'games' on bikes.

The first year we had grafitti sprayed across the Bealach na Ba road bends, and there are still plastic posters here and there in supposedly hidden ditches. If they were so nicely keen to clear up as they are to post - - - - - .

But that is off the thread - apologies

I'm not sure about the energy efficiency or even the chemistry, let alone the cost, but I'm interested enough to look further into the details behind this apparently amazing machine.

Since I already do a bit of bio-diesel making, for our own consumption, this sort of thing is right up my street. Thanks for posting.

Is it difficult to convert cooking fat (solid) to bio-diesel?

nope, tis easy.
Just have to melt it first then process as vegetable oil. Make sure the titration prior to calculation of addition of catalyst is right as solids tend to need a bit more NaOH/KOH

Back