SACS, bravo, bravo, bravo

barongcw

On this forum I saw very favorable references about SACS. I had never heart about them so read up on their website. The quotes "each incident" and "anywhere in the world" seemed to me too good to be true.

So cynical ex-banker that I am I not only contacted SACS but also their underwriters and received the following:

"
Kilmarnock_Agency@nfumutual.co.uk [mailto:Kilmarnock_Agency@nfumutual.co.uk]
Sent: 18 November 2011 12:26
To: Ian Clark
Subject:

Ian,

I have had a chat with the senior underwriters regarding the query of ...... and can confirm as the policy cover provides as a member of SACS, each individual is covered for up to £10m for each incident, for all forms of country sports, anywhere in the world.

Please advise ...., these pursuits must be consistent with those that would be covered within the current policy wording. It would not cover those partaking in activities that you would not recognise as country pursuits.

Hope this helps

Regards

Chris Haggart"

I know of no insurance that gives members such wide cover. I'll definitively all my friends to join SACS asap. Full marks.

On this forum I saw very favorable references about SACS. I had never heart about them so read up on their website. The quotes "each incident" and "anywhere in the world" seemed to me too good to be true.

So cynical ex-banker that I am I not only contacted SACS but also their underwriters and received the following:

"
Kilmarnock_Agency@nfumutual.co.uk [mailto:Kilmarnock_Agency@nfumutual.co.uk]
Sent: 18 November 2011 12:26
To: Ian Clark
Subject:

Ian,

I have had a chat with the senior underwriters regarding the query of ...... and can confirm as the policy cover provides as a member of SACS, each individual is covered for up to £10m for each incident, for all forms of country sports, anywhere in the world.

Please advise ...., these pursuits must be consistent with those that would be covered within the current policy wording. It would not cover those partaking in activities that you would not recognise as country pursuits.

Hope this helps

Regards

Chris Haggart"

I know of no insurance that gives members such wide cover. I'll definitively all my friends to join SACS asap. Full marks.

That looks very slippery to me.

Just exactly what would Mr Clark recognise as a "country pursuit"?

For instance, Leopard hunting in Namibia, Boar shooting in Scotland, which of those is a country pursuit that Mr Clark would recognise?

I'd want a more definitive answer to specifics, as it may not be what you would think.

I deal with the NFU on a professional basis. As a Mutual they look after their members VERY well and they don't like to use clauses for the sake of them to avoid making payments, Indeed when I, acting as their lawyer, have advised them to do so they have refused because thay want to act in their clients interests. When i heard NFU were the Underwriters when my insurance became due I deserted BASC and joined SACS

And for the record I have no interest in the NFU, save as a member of their insurance policy

Scrun

For instance, Leopard hunting in Namibia, Boar shooting in Scotland, which of those is a country pursuit that Mr Clark would recognise?

I'd want a more definitive answer to specifics, as it may not be what you would think.

And I thought I was a cynic. If you are planning these hunts you can always ask SACS to confirm if you want to sleep well at night.

Guess the Kilmarnock office was not thinking about Leopard hunts when they wrote this.

Last edited:
And I thought I was a cynic. If you are planning these hunts you can always ask SACS to confirm if you want to sleep well at night.

Guess the Kilmarnock office was not thinking about Leopard hunts when they wrote this.

To be honest, I would think the Leopard Hunt should be the safe bet for cover, if the policy is as good as it seems. Shooting someone's escaped pigs could be potentially much more problematic though.

My name is Tamus and I AM both a cynic and pessimist... Everything that turns out well, especially with insurance companies, is a pleasant and uplifting surprise to me. Luckily, I don't even try to imagine how depressing life must be for the all trusting, eternal optimist. :D

sacs

I think it would be the underwrighters that decided what was covered not Mr Clark. Sacs came out well in a insurance rewiew in sporting gun

From the SACS website insurance page: http://www.sacs.org.uk/insurance-c3.html

Click on 'What is covered' http://www.sacs.org.uk/what-is-coverred-c36.html

Third-party Liability - All recognised country sports, except competitive horse events.
This now covers:All types of shooting with any legal weapons, whether at live or artificial targets, indoors or outdoors; all types of fishing with rod and line; all types of falconry and hawking; all types of gundog work, including tests and trials; all types of lurcher and terrier work, including racing and showing at events; ferreting; archery; hunting, hacking and general personal horse use; the use of hounds, etc. for hunting. The fishing cover includes fishing anywhere within UK Territorial Limits, so sea-fishing is also specifically covered, provided you are within this area.

Seems pretty comprehensive and straightforward. Throw in this;

Your SACS insurance includes up to £100,000 for legal expenses to cover the cost of employing expert legal assistance in appealing appealing against a refusal to renew, revocation, curtailment or refusal to vary an existing certificate. Note that the insurance does NOT cover refusal to grant a certificate where you do not already have one.

This legal insurance also covers your legal costs in defending yourself if you are charged with alleged offences relating to your sport – the most common of these are so-called ‘wildlife crimes’, but include dog-related offences, animal welfare issues, etc.

and all for £30 full UK membership, (discounts for other categories/ages), and it looks a good deal to me.

I have been with SACS for a good while now,and I can safely say that they are the way to go......FACT!

M

I have been with SACS for a good while now,and I can safely say that they are the way to go......Fact!

+1 on this.
My personal experience with them is that they do what it says on the tin.

Paul

I am with SACS They are the only ones to cover us for taking people out and teaching deer stalking within there policy. With out doubt the best Association for your money.
May i say the price is now £35.

Have any of you SACS devotees had an insurance claim processed through SACS claims procedure yet?

That's the commendation I'm waiting to see.

Have any of you SACS devotees had an insurance claim processed through SACS claims procedure yet?

That's the commendation I'm waiting to see.

"Touch Wood" Tamus, hope I'm never in a situation that I have to !

Atb, Buck.

All I can say is, I needed a firearms licensing solicitor, I rang SACs for advice, as my insurance is with them, and they introduced me to a very, very competent one. All my troubles disappeared.

The advice and help I recieved from SACS was superb. They are worth every penny.

Simon

Back