The One Show Tonight

Cris

Just caught a section on the One Show tonight featuring a herd of Fallow apparently living in London. I missed the location and just how far into London they were getting but they looked to be quite large and healthy numbers. Anyone know were this herd is?

I didn't see it, but could it have been the fallow in Richmond Park?

Not in this case. They also featured on the BBC's documentary Unnatural History of London (recently repeated). Here's a photo.

And from the London Wildlife Trust Deer Survey

Where to spot a deer: Wild deer are most likely to be seen in London’s outer fringes. There are regular sightings in the woods of Barnet, Bromley, Croydon, Havering, Hillingdon and Waltham Forest. Some deer have even been reported at Sydenham Hill Wood and Tooting Bec Common.

I think the deer shown in the BBC programme were at Tooting.

Last edited:
Yes they were not in any of the parks but in a very suburban housing estate. There was mention of close woodland however.
Very health buck just strutting his stuff down in the road.

Just caught a section on the One Show tonight featuring a herd of Fallow apparently living in London. I missed the location and just how far into London they were getting but they looked to be quite large and healthy numbers. Anyone know were this herd is?

I have it from a reliable source within Downing Street, close to the PM, that they show up in front of No. 10 most nights between 2 and 5 AM. However, I would not recommend you show up with your rifle and try to stalk them, as the police officers on duty may not let you drive through the gate, they will insist you get out of your vehicle and walk through the pedestrian entrance.

I have it from a reliable source within Downing Street, close to the PM, that they show up in front of No. 10 most nights between 2 and 5 AM. However, I would not recommend you show up with your rifle and try to stalk them, as the police officers on duty may not let you drive through the gate, they will insist you get out of your vehicle and walk through the pedestrian entrance.

is that the pleb-gate?

is that the pleb-gate?
Yup, and apparently the police will arrange for one of their mates to witness the stalk by email. He will apparently witness it even if he is no where near Downing Street. Not sure if he is a DSC 2 witness though. regards sbm :rofl:

Gents,

i think ink the deer in which you are referring to are those which are easily seen from the M25 around J24/25 they are a large wild herd of Fallow roaming both sides of the road and head into London as much as a mile, but tend to be with 500yrds of the motorway most days - they are not daft!

T

Elsewhere on here people talk of deer on their land being scarcer and scarcer, although this isn't the case everywhere going by the number of road accidents involving deer in some parts. But, in more urban areas, are we seeing the deer habitat slowly evolving to include places where they won't/can't be stalked, somewhat like foxes?

Elsewhere on here people talk of deer on their land being scarcer and scarcer, although this isn't the case everywhere going by the number of road accidents involving deer in some parts. But, in more urban areas, are we seeing the deer habitat slowly evolving to include places where they won't/can't be stalked, somewhat like foxes?

No doubt, but the deer in Richmond park are culled - is there any sign of their leaving? - though I guess that fences and cattle grids make that a little tricky!

Back