Who's tweaked/customised their Howa and how?:-)

tikkathreebarrels

So I've bought dropmdead's Howa 1500 in 7mm WSM:p.

All I know about Howas can be written on the back of a box of 30 cal bullets hahaha.

I'm thinking about an aftermarket trigger, I'm thinking about a stiffer/better stock than the Hogue overmould, I'm thinking about a moderator or even a muzzle brake.

Come on, Howa users, what can you tell me please? What's good and what's not so good?

Riflebasix trigger, PSE composite stock, Mod, whatever you want, baring in mind the 7mm Wsm is hot and pokey, a bit like my .270 Wsm.

Best thing I did to mine was fit a Riflebasix trigger from here:
http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/trigger_kits.html
Transformed the rifle! I found that the Hogue stock was actually rigid enough and quite a good practical stalking stock. The bolts can be a bit 'gritty' when new and could benefit from a bit of a polish up. Get a decent mod, but definitely avoid the muzzle break! Other than that, it's a proven design that isn't really broken, so why try to fix it?
MS

So I've bought dropmdead's Howa 1500 in 7mm WSM:p.

All I know about Howas can be written on the back of a box of 30 cal bullets hahaha.

I'm thinking about an aftermarket trigger, I'm thinking about a stiffer/better stock than the Hogue overmould, I'm thinking about a moderator or even a muzzle brake.

Come on, Howa users, what can you tell me please? What's good and what's not so good?

The Howa 1500 is perfectly fine as it is.
My only 'modifications' (on a Stainless Steel barrel) are a bit of scrim-netting wound around the barrel held in place with....a few bits of cellotape. Yes, really. Traditionalist wil be horrified, however the deer and foxes really couldn't care less ;)

Yep customised mine (though not according to see it shoot it!) - see my thread in classifieds section.

The fact it still has a factory barrel and shoots single hole groups shows how good howa barrels are! It's been shortened to 18" which I like as it handles well. New Bell & Carlson stock, tuned trigger, Bedded, crowned, etc - never shot the rifle before all the work was done so not sure what improvements they all made, I looks nice and shoots well though!

They are an excellent rifle as is I had a 243 for a while then used the action for a custom I would keep as is for now the new 2 stage triggers on them are not to bad. Use and when your bored donor the action for a custom build
I agree with gritty bolt I got a vanguard (same as howa) cerakoted and it really made the action slick
​sounds like you have a great deer rig

With this Howa, it came with an adjustable trigger and is set approximately 2lbs.
Boyds laminate, or a PSE, or bell and carson ( though I find these are a bit heavy) are all good options.
This and a nice mod and scope and you can't go wrong.

A new trigger, bedding -because the Over Molded guns I've seen hadn't any to speak of- and shoot it. Not much else needs doing. Good rifles.~Muir

Riflebasix trigger, PSE composite stock, Mod, whatever you want, baring in mind the 7mm Wsm is hot and pokey, a bit like my .270 Wsm.

Transformed the rifle! I found that the Hogue stock was actually rigid enough and quite a good practical stalking stock. The bolts can be a bit 'gritty' when new and could benefit from a bit of a polish up. Get a decent mod, but definitely avoid the muzzle break! Other than that, it's a proven design that isn't really broken, so why try to fix it?
MS

Well Riflebasix gets two votes to Timney's nil and, hey, what about that for a good price?

The Howa 1500 is perfectly fine as it is.
My only 'modifications' (on a Stainless Steel barrel) are a bit of scrim-netting wound around the barrel held in place with....a few bits of cellotape. Yes, really. Traditionalist wil be horrified, however the deer and foxes really couldn't care less ;)

Well, I sometimes think we cammo up our kit for our own pleasure rather than to avoid being seen by an animal 100 yards away... That said, I do the same with the scope and mod on my 243!

Yep customised mine (though not according to see it shoot it!) - see my thread in classifieds section.

The fact it still has a factory barrel and shoots single hole groups shows how good howa barrels are! It's been shortened to 18" which I like as it handles well. New Bell & Carlson stock, tuned trigger, Bedded, crowned, etc - never shot the rifle before all the work was done so not sure what improvements they all made, I looks nice and shoots well though!

That's a brave claim chap: I hope you can provide photographic evidence? :eek:

They are an excellent rifle as is I had a 243 for a while then used the action for a custom I would keep as is for now the new 2 stage triggers on them are not to bad. Use and when your bored donor the action for a custom build
I agree with gritty bolt I got a vanguard (same as howa) cerakoted and it really made the action slick
​sounds like you have a great deer rig

Well, here's hoping.

With this Howa, it came with an adjustable trigger and is set approximately 2lbs.
Boyds laminate, or a PSE, or bell and carson ( though I find these are a bit heavy) are all good options.
This and a nice mod and scope and you can't go wrong.

Plenty of stock suggestions there, thank you.

A new trigger, bedding -because the Over Molded guns I've seen hadn't any to speak of- and shoot it. Not much else needs doing. Good rifles.~Muir

Cheers chap.

Step 1 is to get the rifle here unbashed by couriers. Step 2 will be to see how it shoots "as is" and check out the trigger mech. Step 3 will be to add refinement if and where needed. Step 5 will be to consider letting it completely replace my 243.

Boyds laminate stock,bedded the stock, fitted a 10 round mag system, ASE Utra mod and S&B 6x42 scope ........

MS

I have one on my rifle, fantastic trigger . . . .I had a standard trigger on my Howa tweeked by the smith and it did make a big difference but not in the same league as the Rifle Basix one.

Tweaked trigger, two stainless steel rods inserted into forend and bedded, it is more accurate than its operator (.243 stainless varmit)

D

I have a newish Howa in .308 with the 20" heavy varmint barrel, have it stuck into a Knoxx Axiom stock, very soft and well controlled recoil. Stick on top of the Sinclairs Tactical Bipod and it's a very nice rifle to shoot :)

howa.jpg
Sinclair.jpg

My old 270 had a Timney Trigger fitted then dropped in a Bell and Carlson Stock with full aluminium chassis in the stock, I had the barrelled action dura-coated in forest green with black specs to match the stock. I then made my own 10 shot magazine conversion for it for use on boar and culling goats in NZ. I modified the standard stock by adding an aluminium billet into the forend, this stiffened up the stock no end.

My rifle is at the back, my mates Howa is at the front, this is a 300 WSM with a Pacnor heavy barrel, Manners tactical stock and Dura-coated.

ATB

Tahr

Back