Another consideration when planing a hunting trip.

A Guy Out West

Cha Ching $$$. Every year that you don't go it gets more expensive. If you think a hunt is expensive now, wait a few years. I found this guide several years ago and have been saving my points so I could draw the unit he hunts in. I now have 9 points and could be drawn, that's nine years worth of points. Wyoming Adventures Trophy Outfitters Hiring a guide to go deer hunting in the US is only something I would do for a good trophy, he has some. Anyway, when I first started looking at his hunts they were $3,250 or $3,500, plus tags and travel. That is good price for a high quality mule deer hunt, but still it's a lot for me. Guess what? It's now $4,500 plus tags and travel. When you consider mounting, your looking at a hang it on the wall price of around $5,500, less if you do a European mount. Still, that is big bucks ($) for a deer. One of the few things I remember from economics class is opportunity cost. The cost or loss incurred when you don't take advantage of the initial situation.

Cha Ching $$$. Every year that you don't go it gets more expensive. If you think a hunt is expensive now, wait a few years. I found this guide several years ago and have been saving my points so I could draw the unit he hunts in. I now have 9 points and could be drawn, that's nine years worth of points. Wyoming Adventures Trophy Outfitters Hiring a guide to go deer hunting in the US is only something I would do for a good trophy, he has some. Anyway, when I first started looking at his hunts they were $3,250 or $3,500, plus tags and travel. That is good price for a high quality mule deer hunt, but still it's a lot for me. Guess what? It's now $4,500 plus tags and travel. When you consider mounting, your looking at a hang it on the wall price of around $5,500, less if you do a European mount. Still, that is big bucks ($) for a deer. One of the few things I remember from economics class is opportunity cost. The cost or loss incurred when you don't take advantage of the initial situation.

Well I could host you for less than that airfares included!

Last edited:
Well, thank you kindly. Always admired OZ and NZ., Perhaps next year Iv'e plans for this fall season. Thanks much!
Michael

I would love to hunt an antelope but I suspect that it must be difficult for a foreigner to buy a tag? I was looking at a ranch in Wyoming for a holiday but you have to have drawn your tag in advance - not easy!

Maybe I'll have to stick with my alternative of a Vancouver Island bear next spring........

I have not checked in a while, but a lot of states have OTC tags available from the leftover. I know Utah used to have deer and antelope tags. South Dakota had OTC antelope tags.

Also, there are late season tags, where enough game was not taken, usually in the more remote hunt units. I have gotten bear tags that way, huge area all to ourselves, but 25 miles in from the last road, by canoe. And archers get some great choices of antelope tags, but taking an antelope with a bow is not the easiest thing in the world, no matter how you accomplish it. Also, some states almost throw in an antelope tag if you buy a mule deer tag.

One other thing to look into if you go out West, is another species tag, maybe for free. Colorado is like that with mountain lion.

I would love to hunt an antelope but I suspect that it must be difficult for a foreigner to buy a tag? I was looking at a ranch in Wyoming for a holiday but you have to have drawn your tag in advance - not easy!

Maybe I'll have to stick with my alternative of a Vancouver Island bear next spring........

You have until May 15 to apply. It depends on where you are hunting. Eastern half of the state has lots of private property so those tags are easier to draw. You can also buy left over tags that did to sell during the draw. The Wyoming fish and game web site will tell you your chances of drawing a tag. I bought left over buck mule deer tags for myself and for my 12 year old a few years ago and we both could have had bucks. I shot one after watching him miss 2 in a row. We saw 5 shootable bucks in one day, no big ones but that is usually more than I see in my home state. I know that unit 45 (Laramie area) usually has left over tags. If you really want, you can find a antelope tag in Wyoming. Opt for a point if you do the draw, next year you will have a point and that greatly increases your chances.

By the way, once you are here, you are not a foreigner. You are just considered a non resident, same as I would be if applying in WY.

Last edited:
Back