Cannon on guntrader

My dad's got a cannon in his garden.

About 15" long 3/4" bore part of a carrage no wheels. Been outside since i can remember the bore is rusty .
One day i might see if it's restorable but not to ever fire.

There are actually organised competitions for cannot shooting.. A fellow who belongs to the local gun club has one on ticket for such events. The Lincs Police refused of course but had to give in in the end.....................:rolleyes:.

I got talking to a bloke from the miniature cannon society (that might not be there proper name) at the Newark show. He explained that they shoot them competitively.

Its good to know that the British quest for eccentric but highly entertaining hobbies lives on.

There are actually organised competitions for cannot shooting.. A fellow who belongs to the local gun club has one on ticket for such events. The Lincs Police refused of course but had to give in in the end.....................:rolleyes:.

Do you think he could get it conditioned for Foxes or is it slightly to big?

That is far from a field piece. At .69 caliber it's a smaller bore than a 12 ga, and that 14" barrel places in the curiosity class. In the US, Dixie Gun Works used to sell full sized field pieces for artillery comps and civil war reenactors. I have been to a cannon shoot where some of the guns were sleeved to take the small "candle-stick" bowling balls. They were used over and over again. The 'target" was a sheet stretched between two poles at 300 yards, with an "X" painted on it's middle. Fun to watch.~Muir

I have one of the smaller ardesa 50 cal cannons, great fun and a good way to spend a leisurely few hours down the range.

If you think we are eccentric, because we shoot the odd miniature cannon, have a look at the cannon in here, just a real good entertaining link, GOOGLE "TheBigSandyShoot":rofl:

Well if it has at least a 24" barrel and a smooth bore under 2" then legally it's a shotgun I believe. The fly in the ointment would seem to be when shooting solid ball? and not shot... I wonder what chain shot would be classified under?

Look at the 2004 photos and there is an armoured PIG.

Last edited:
Back