deer scent ?

hopkinsw

Hi I was wondering what if any scent you would use to attract deer. I shoot mostly in the forestry commission and when the weather is still get confined to the high seats so I would like to try and improve my chances if possible

A german forest guard told me he used vanilla essence to serious effect. I have used it on sika and it works for short periods in jan and feb

Regards,
Glendine.

get yourself some concentrated aniseed from a fishing bait supplier (cheaper than bushwear) a few drops on an old tree stump will usually bring them in:thumb:.
sinbad

If you mean does the aniseed trick work, I use it to start a salt lick off, works every time for roe and other species.
I dont shoot them on a lick though, usually set up an ambush point to take them on the way in/out.
all the best
sinbad

10/10 :thumb:
If you mean does the aniseed trick work, I use it to start a salt lick off, works every time for roe and other species./
dont shoot them on a lick though, usually set up an ambush point to take them on the way in/out.
all the best
sinbad

I have used anaseed on roe, fallow and red with excellent results. Red and fallow are the easiest to draw in, roe take a bit of time, as others suggested if you are going for reds or fallow carrots and turnips work well. Roe sometimes pick at them but usually stick to whatever natural food source is available.
Just what I have found through trial and error.
Sinbad

I will give the vanilla essence a try Glendine see how it compares.

Hopkinsw

Having read through your thread, i had a rummage through my stuff and came across this "Buck Site" Roe deer lure.

It is claimed on the bottle that it will carry the aroma for 500m.

its a curiosity scent, blend of natural, partly fermented fruit and synthetic urine.

Designed for Roe deer.

Dont know if its of any use as I've not used it. But it could be a possible for attracting deer.

View attachment 23388

Some seasoned stalkers in Hungary I knew in the early 90's used to mix aniseed with marjoram and red paprika. They swore by it. I have never tried it though...

Hopkinsw
If you can only get there a few times a year then without doubt a salt lick would be best, you could always leave a large salt block (available from bushwear) on the stump to keep it going whilst you are away.
pm me if you need any tips on making a decent salt lick.
sinbad

Just remember if you attract deer on forestry that has a grant on it [ Depending on thier grant conditions ie. sssi .esa ]they could lose their grant and have to repay the grant that has already been paid to them i put salt licks with anissed on a few years ago for fallow and was told to remove them ASAP because of the above

Pendle

Not shy deerman. just that I did a reply to a post previously explaining the way that I do it (and it works)
here it is again.
1; find a suitable location for the lick, preferably with a decent sized stump or log that is beginning to break down.
2; get yourself a few 25kg sacks of rock salt (the white stuff they use for roads/footpaths) and some concentrated aniseed.
3; try to open up the log/stump with an axe, then dump a full bag of salt into/onto it and water it in slowly with some aniseed mixed into the water.
4; repeat step 3 as often as you can, do not worry about the water/salt over running into the soil as the deer will eat this as well over time.
If you have put the deer lick in a good location you will have to replace the soil after a couple of seasons depending on the deer population you have in the area.
Total cost less than £30 and a few hours work.
Others may have better/different ways of doing it so not saying this is the best way. but its cheap and works for me every time.
I have used this method for red, fallow and roe but not with munjac and cwd.
Sinbad
PS if you buy a salt lick you will need to put it on a stump/log or purpose made untreated wooden frame, as the deer prefer to lick/chew the wood or soil not the lick itself.
Pendle. I think the guy is trying to get the deer into a shootable location rather than attracting deer onto his patch.
hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Sinbad. Thought you were going to explain the mixing and baking into a lick in the oven. Sure somebody did a post? I think the Americans do something similar where they dig it in. Think I'll give your method a try!

Sorry deerman, never tried to make a solid lick block.
This is an easy way to get the same results, and anyway Im banned from using the oven for my own purposes:D, also banned from cleaning motorbike parts in the dishwasher and boiling up offal for the dogs ah well.

Back