CZ527 17 Hornet

6pt-sika

I've had a pair of these on order with the varmint weight barrel for about 9 months !

I got an email friday from one of our distributers telling me one was on the way to us !

Nice. What will you shoot with it?~Muir

PS: I was reminded -as I'd totally foregotten about it- that I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 on hold for me at the Trading Post since November last. I do remember considering it but not consummating the deal... and I paid better than half down... you'd think I'd remember that. Anyhow, I told the manager I'd pick it up when he got me 200 pcs of brass and some RCBS dies. Hasn't happened yet! No matter. I really want it either set back and rechambered for 20 Practical or rebarreled to .223 with a fast twist or 300 whisper.

Last edited:
That 17 Hornet's not for me . the first one will go to a good customer/friend . The second one goes to my gunsmith buddy . I think he just wanted it because it was new . I'll work up a load for it , thats about the extent of me in the equation !

If I ever get a CZ527 more then likely it'll be a 527FS in 222 REM or a HB in 204 like you have laid away !

I dunno how much brass I've got for the 204 !

Before I got the Ruger 1B in 204 Ruger I lucked across a fellow on castboolits.gunloads.com that had a set of RCBS FL dies , a neck die and a goodly amount of used 204 brass Hornady , Winchester and Remington !

But before that when I had the Ruger 77VT 204 I had about 500 pieces of new WIN brass with about 300 pieces unfired . When I traded off the 77VT I let it all go (even had some Berger 50 grain 20 cal bullets). So when the other stuff came up at a rather cheap price I jumped on it and later found the 1B .

We had a CZ527 204 in the shop for awhile and it was NIB so I cannot say how well it shot . But if it shot anything like the CZ527 223 HB 1-9 my gunsmith buddy took in trade it oughtta shoot .25MOA . That used 527 223 we took in , I was able to shoot a 3 shot group at 100 that measured .191" after deducting the bullet diameter . Shot that with a Nosler 60 grain BT . The fellow that traded that little rifle in had it shooting the Hornady 75 grain HP and he gave us 4 or 5 boxes of his handloads . Little rifle came with a Leupold VX2 3-9 , we took it to the range before I started working a load for it and shot 3 shot groups at 100 yards that were a hair over 3/10ths after deducting the bullet diameter . Think mine was .335" and my gunsmith buddies was .343" ! To say I was mildly surprised is an understatement .

No matter. I really want it either set back and rechambered for 20 Practical .

I'm not familiar with the 20 Practical , is it similar to I think it's called "20 Vartarg" ?

Only 20 I've ever messed with was the Ruger version .

I always had a semi decent intrest in some of the stuff Calhoun made in 14 and 19 caliber . But then thats just something else to spend alot of time and revenue to keep it going I suppose .

That 17 Hornet's not for me . the first one will go to a good customer/friend . The second one goes to my gunsmith buddy . I think he just wanted it because it was new . I'll work up a load for it , thats about the extent of me in the equation !

If I ever get a CZ527 more then likely it'll be a 527FS in 222 REM or a HB in 204 like you have laid away !

I dunno how much brass I've got for the 204 !

Before I got the Ruger 1B in 204 Ruger I lucked across a fellow on castboolits.gunloads.com that had a set of RCBS FL dies , a neck die and a goodly amount of used 204 brass Hornady , Winchester and Remington !

But before that when I had the Ruger 77VT 204 I had about 500 pieces of new WIN brass with about 300 pieces unfired . When I traded off the 77VT I let it all go (even had some Berger 50 grain 20 cal bullets). So when the other stuff came up at a rather cheap price I jumped on it and later found the 1B .

We had a CZ527 204 in the shop for awhile and it was NIB so I cannot say how well it shot . But if it shot anything like the CZ527 223 HB 1-9 my gunsmith buddy took in trade it oughtta shoot .25MOA . That used 527 223 we took in , I was able to shoot a 3 shot group at 100 that measured .191" after deducting the bullet diameter . Shot that with a Nosler 60 grain BT . The fellow that traded that little rifle in had it shooting the Hornady 75 grain HP and he gave us 4 or 5 boxes of his handloads . Little rifle came with a Leupold VX2 3-9 , we took it to the range before I started working a load for it and shot 3 shot groups at 100 yards that were a hair over 3/10ths after deducting the bullet diameter . Think mine was .335" and my gunsmith buddies was .343" ! To say I was mildly surprised is an understatement .

Thanks for the encouragement on the 204. I'll shoot it for a while and then decide whether or not I'm going to rework it. I would like a 1-9 or 1-7" .223 on the same taper but I have a couple of good .223's now. The Trading Post has a set of Forster Competition .204 dies for $79 and I would get them for about cost, I'm sure. They have been there for a while. I can get brass from other sources but this way, I can hold off buying the rifle until HE provides it. I mean, rifle begets dies, begets a scope, begets components.... Tho I will have 2K 32 grain V-Max 204's and 600 Nosler 32 grain ballistic tip, and 400 V-Max 40 grain by tomorrow night. I bought them for the two guys that are coming prairiedog shooting with me on the 18th. Ten days of reloading fun. One shoots a 20 Practical, the other, a 20 Tactical. What they don't use, they will take home, I'm sure.

Let us know how the 17H loads work out. ~Muir

Lucky you...... I've been on to the distributers here..... Edgar Bros.... the CZ 17 Hornet will not be available here until possibly October probably not until the end of the year..... If I want a 17 Hornet now it will need to be a Savage....
Don't know what to do... cannot decide..... buy now or wait.....
David

Thanks for the encouragement on the 204. I'll shoot it for a while and then decide whether or not I'm going to rework it. I would like a 1-9 or 1-7" .223 on the same taper but I have a couple of good .223's now. The Trading Post has a set of Forster Competition .204 dies for $79 and I would get them for about cost, I'm sure. They have been there for a while. I can get brass from other sources but this way, I can hold off buying the rifle until HE provides it. I mean, rifle begets dies, begets a scope, begets components.... Tho I will have 2K 32 grain V-Max 204's and 600 Nosler 32 grain ballistic tip, and 400 V-Max 40 grain by tomorrow night. I bought them for the two guys that are coming prairiedog shooting with me on the 18th. Ten days of reloading fun. One shoots a 20 Practical, the other, a 20 Tactical. What they don't use, they will take home, I'm sure.

Let us know how the 17H loads work out. ~Muir

You know I like the 204 quite a bit and the 222 even more . I like both PPC's as well as the BR in several calibers . But every once in awhile I get a wild hair wanting me to put together a pair of varmint/bench guns in 222 and 6x47 for old times sake !

I mean what the heck I don't compete in IBR so why not !

I will have 2K 32 grain V-Max 204's and 600 Nosler 32 grain ballistic tip, and 400 V-Max 40 grain by tomorrow night. I bought them for the two guys that are coming prairiedog shooting with me on the 18th. Ten days of reloading fun. One shoots a 20 Practical, the other, a 20 Tactical. What they don't use, they will take home, I'm sure.

The Ruger 77 MK-II VT I had in 204 wasn't overly particular about what you used in it . But it seemed to have a taste for the lighter weight bullets although it did equally well with the Sierra , Hornady and Nosler lighter weight bullets . It did however shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards with Hornady factory 40 grain ammuntion that was a hair under 1/2" which I thought was pretty decnt for the gun with a Mickey Mouse scope , I hadn't massaged the trigger yet and it was the first time I had ever fired the round . It was the day the fellow was trying to sell me the rifle as a matter of fact .

Lucky you...... I've been on to the distributers here..... Edgar Bros.... the CZ 17 Hornet will not be available here until possibly October probably not until the end of the year..... If I want a 17 Hornet now it will need to be a Savage.... Don't know what to do... cannot decide..... buy now or wait..... David

I had a look at the savage walking/varmint saturday.Feels very front heavy without mod.
I would WAIT,for the CZ.

If anyone is after a cz 17hh with a titanium mod then njc101181 has one the is thinking of selling. needs room for his drilling im told.

I forgot to post the CZ527 17 Hornet showed up tuesday !

We opened the box and the gun looked as nice as any of the other CZ527 HB's I've seen . The wood might have decent figure but CZ has it stained a bit on the dark side .

Our customer friend liked it as he picked it up friday and seemed quite happy . I am 200% sure this one will only be shot at paper . He mounted a nice new Leupold VX3 6.5-20AO scope on top . Personally I am thinking a VX3 4.5-14AO would be plenty but it ain't mne !

Oh yeah the target in the box with the rifle showed a nice little three shot cluster at 50 meters of a hair less then 1/2" . Not the best but not the worst either !

Our distributer said be prepared to wait 6 months for the second one we ordered !

Nice! CZ test fire targets aren't indicative of accuracy. My Hornet has 1" at 50m but it shoot one hole. Let us know how he gets on with it.

My Savage 17 WSRM is supposed to be waiting for me at the trading post but I'm not on a rush to get it... I'm just going to pull the barrel and make it a 5mm Remington, anyhow... and it is a fairly unexciting rifle as it sits... especially with no ammo available! ~Muir

Nice! CZ test fire targets aren't indicative of accuracy. My Hornet has 1" at 50m but it shoot one hole. Let us know how he gets on with it.

My Savage 17 WSRM is supposed to be waiting for me at the trading post but I'm not on a rush to get it... I'm just going to pull the barrel and make it a 5mm Remington, anyhow... and it is a fairly unexciting rifle as it sits... especially with no ammo available! ~Muir

In my always biased opinion you'd be way ahead of the game to go on and pick up the CZ527 HB in 204 Ruger you said they had for you !

I can't get overly excited about anything rimfire anymore . I want something I can load/reload for . As you are well aware with any rimfire you're stuck with what you can get factory wise and when you can't get factory as you said about the 17 WSRM you are just plain STUCK LOL's !

In my always biased opinion you'd be way ahead of the game to go on and pick up the CZ527 HB in 204 Ruger you said they had for you !

I can't get overly excited about anything rimfire anymore . I want something I can load/reload for . As you are well aware with any rimfire you're stuck with what you can get factory wise and when you can't get factory as you said about the 17 WSRM you are just plain STUCK LOL's !

The 204 is mine. I just need to pick it up; have mo fears. It may end up getting rebarreled at some point, but it's a done deal. I like the 5mm Remington. It has a special place in my shooting psyche. The Remington 590 series rifles chambered for it were problematic, but that's why I want the BMAG 17 to rebarrel. I have a T/C carbine chambered for 5mm which means I also load 5mm Craig, the centerfire "conversion" made from turned and reformed 22 Hornet brass. In this, I get the best of both worlds: If I feel like reloading I shoot CF cartridges and if I don't, I flip the switch on the firing pin and shoot rimfire. I'm getting 2557 fps from a 30 grain JHP jacketed bullet from the rimfire and 2540 fps with a 32 grain VM in the centerfire Craig case over 6 grains of Lil Gun.

Yeah. It's might seem goofy but it gives me a good giggle being able to choose....~Muir

PS: If the 17 ammo was available, I'd try some just for the experience, but I'm really not interested it.

I know you don't care for the WSSM cartridges but a 6.5 WSSM is on my bucket list ! Also have thoughts of reboring a Ruger 1B in 7mm Rem Mag to 8mm Rem Mag . Have the same thoughts about a 1B in 22-250 to 6.5-06 and a 270 to 8mm-06 . For awhile I was wound up about taking the SAUM case and making a 6.5mm and 338 on the case for a model 7 CDL . But I got past the SAUM thing , but the others seem to be hanging on ! A 1B in 22-250 rebooted to 257 Weatherby is another I think of from time to time as well !

Muir this 5mm Craig is it about the same thing as the old 22 Cooper center fire that they claimed was a reload able 22 Mag ?

Muir this 5mm Craig is it about the same thing as the old 22 Cooper center fire that they claimed was a reload able 22 Mag ?

In premise, maybe, but the Craig is a direct copy of the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum but with centerfire priming. (primer) The Cooper required a separate (longer) chamber but the 5mm Craig works in any 5mm Remington rifle that has been converted to CF, or, in the case of the T/C, can be converted to CF by using the CF firing pin. It is a fun little round to load for.~Muir

We got a mild surprise today !

The other CZ527 Varmint in 17 Hornet came in today !

This ones for my gunsmith buddy and I'll get stuck working up a load for it .

He put a Leupold VX2 6-18AO on top of it .

Not an abundance of figure but a little !

Nice little rifle. Hope it shoots well. Let us know how the brass holds up. BTW: Got brass?? The trading post has 8x50pcs boxes on the shelf.~Muir

It certainly looks to be a nice looking bit of kit..... All the best to you when using it.... I only wish I could get one here..... I'm going to see the Savage at
McAvoy Guns on Monday..... still not decided if I'll buy it or not. Time will tell.
David

Back