Bit dodgy....

gixer1

A friend new to shooting recently bought a couple of brand new rifles from a local RFD and the RFD sold him rounds to go with the rifle (a few boxes) winchester at £27 a box.

No issue there (even though I had said just to get one box to see if the rifle likes it)

He asked me to help zero the rifle so I went out and he put a few rounds through in the usual order. I was picking up the empties as he ejected them and it wasn't until I took them out of my jacket pocket later i noticed the brass is pretty corroded and has some pretty severe dents and marks on the outer OD of the brass....if it was on the bottom rim where the material is pretty thick I wouldn't be so concerned but somne of the damage is right the way up the case....

Seems like these rounds must've been lying about in damp conditions for quite some time!

View attachment 41587IMG_7490.jpgView attachment 41588

Last edited:
I wouldn't have had them as a gift let alone pay £27 per box.
Not a good way to start feeding a brand new rifle and not a good way to treat a new customer.
The dealer is cutting his own throat, especially if he is named here.

I ALWAYS check out what's going in the chamber , BEFORE it gets chambered. Too late when you have a stuck case or something worse.

Totally agree, and my bad for not telling him to check them but when you see nice shiney new boxes the "assumption" (wrongly) is made.....

Will definatly be checking all the others!

regards,

Gixer

just clean off the crud with one of them green plastic pot cleaner pads and use them up ,also give your pals rifle chamber a deep clean to remove anything that may have been left there.

just clean off the crud with one of them green plastic pot cleaner pads and use them up ,also give your pals rifle chamber a deep clean to remove anything that may have been left there.

Paul, there are some pretty deep scores...probably not an issue but I wouldn't want to put them through my rifle so I think I'm going to advise he returns them...

Paul, there are some pretty deep scores...probably not an issue but I wouldn't want to put them through my rifle so I think I'm going to advise he returns them...

Quite so !
New stock should not be like that and as such is `unfit for purpose`.
If the dealer will not replace them report him to your local Trading Standards people and let them sort him out.

HWH.

If the outer box was OK and unopened then the dealer would not know that the brass was corroded. Probably a bit soon to flame the guy yet but I would definitely return the remaining ammo ASAP. If he will not take them back then flame away!!

Totally agree, and my bad for not telling him to check them but when you see nice shiney new boxes the "assumption" (wrongly) is made.....

Will definatly be checking all the others!

regards,

Gixer

Well never mind the BOXES , The contents also should be nice and shiny , if not then a closer inspection comes to mind :doh: like before Being loaded into mag or breech and fired :eek:

Last edited:
Well never mind the BOXES , The contents also should be nice and shiny , if not then a closer inspection comes to mind :doh: like before Being loaded into mag or breech and fired :eek:

True, but how closely do most inspect factory ammo off the shelf, not that closely i'm willing to bet...and at a quick glance these rounds look ok, its only when you look closely. the winchester box they come in has a polystyrene inned and the rounds are 2/3 inside the holder so it was mostly the back end that showed the corrosion.

All in I accept that closer inspection is required but lets not kid ourselves that this is the norm, glance inspection is the common thing and the lesson was learned here and the topic posted as a heads up to others.

Regards,

Gixer

Heads up welcomed, but as has been said, a costly mistake or injury could occur if you can't be a bit more concentrated when loading any firearm, I even dry my rounds when stalking in the rain, as pressures can be elevated alarmingly by even a few drops of rainwater on the cases.

To fair to the dealer if the box was clean and sealed how did he know they where corroded inside?

however I would expect him to exchange them or refund and take the issue up with Winchester.

To fair to the dealer if the box was clean and sealed how did he know they where corroded inside?

however I would expect him to exchange them or refund and take the issue up with Winchester.

sorry, but I cant see how this could be new stock. In my mind either home loads or the rounds have been put into a 'shiny box' and sold as new - if a box has been stored in a damp environment to corrode like that then the box would show signs of dampness - just my thoughts on the situation.

sorry, but I cant see how this could be new stock. In my mind either home loads or the rounds have been put into a 'shiny box' and sold as new - if a box has been stored in a damp environment to corrode like that then the box would show signs of dampness - just my thoughts on the situation.

Must just be me giving people benefit of the doubt until he's given his side.

BWM could be a fault.

the dealer could be home loading them super cheap into a brand new box

The dealer could secretly be an anti making dangerous ammo to deliberately kill shooter.
where is he base we'll all get the pitch forks burn his house down with his family inside then torture him to death he's obviously rotten, as the OPs friend has been back and spoken to him!!!

Heads up welcomed, but as has been said, a costly mistake or injury could occur if you can't be a bit more concentrated when loading any firearm, I even dry my rounds when stalking in the rain, as pressures can be elevated alarmingly by even a few drops of rainwater on the cases.

Another good point , one positive thinking thanks to SD Hopefully nobody will load and fire 1.7 HMR without a very close Inspection

Appreciate the input but please do not point the finger at me, I was not loading the rifle. If it was a hot dog sausage he was pushing into the chamber i'd probably have noticed it but from a few feet away they looked like any other normal round....the corrosion was only visible on later inspection.

Regards,
Gixer

Once on a "101 guns" day during a sniper course I found a bunch of odd "pistol" casing at one of the firing points during clean-up. They looked like .45 auto but about two inches long. During that training day we had weapons out shooting everything from 9mm to 338/416 Sniper (aka 338 Lapua these days). All of the shooters were Special Operations types so the cursory warning about make sure you have the right ammo was all they got. At the end of the day we determined that warning was apparently not enough, the "long .45" cases were the result of some maroon firing 308 in either one of the M1D's or the Springfield M1903A4s we had on line. Both of course were in their original chambering of 30-06....

SS

sorry feller HANDS UP
i did't get that the scratches were that deep!! i think your pal has been given /sold reload hand in's. No company would let them go with damaged case's the QC camera would kick them off the line before they even got primed let alone loaded ,old ammo stock with green crud i seen and used with no probs even after coming out of a river still firing was no problem, but as you say the cases are way passed factory spec, take them back them to the rfd .

PS: he may not know the history of them ?? yer and pigs fly all his ammo should be traceable in his ammo log :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just had a look on the laptop that third picture the scratch is a gouge. Would like to hear the dealers side but doesn't look good.

Back