first sika

boom boom

tried to post this earlier but computer was playing up i went up to stalk in sutherland on jayb land ,drove up on thursday after work arrived at b n b after 6 met john who then drove me up to his area and showed me around the boundries etc back at the b n bi got ready and set of for a stalk about 7 30 i stalked for 2 hours seeing 3 sika hinds then made my way to the highseat i waited till after 10 but saw no more deer ,up a 5 am the next morning i set off again istalked till 7 30 then went to the highseat its set up at the junction of a x ride as i was climbing up i had just sat down when i looked out in front not 90 yards away an 8 point sika stag was standing looking at me as i slowly reached for my rifle he walked into the forest:( after i stopped shaking and calmed down 1 hour later he appeared 150 yards up the ride i got the crosshairs onto him but he just wouldnt settle to give me a shot, i waited a bit longer seeing 4 hinds but no more stags ,later that night after only 1 hour 30 min i had to call it quits due to the dreaded midgies,next morning back at the seat at 6 am i waited ,at 07 10 a nice 6 pointer crossed the ride to my right when he stopped i took the shot ,he ran into the forest i waited 10 min then went to look for him ,after 1 hour searching i found him :D a lovely beast ,after the gralloch and dragging him 400 yards to the nearest track i was totally nackerd but very happy ,meeting john at the gamedealers it weighed in at 39 kilos ,now john is a very nice and helpfull guy who helps SD members out with stalking so if you fancy a shot give him a shout ,i had never seen a sika in the wild so to get one on my first outing was very special so id like to thank john for giving me the oppertuneity ,i took some photos but havnt masterd posting them

cheers tam

Well done Tam and the high seat or the still stalk can be the way to nail them sika. Would you go back as i know its a long way.

Well done Tam and the high seat or the still stalk can be the way to nail them sika. Would you go back as i know its a long way.

Its even further for me when I visit in October!!

12 hours from door to door!!!

Well done with the first stag boom boom, I hope I get as lucky as you!!

To add a photo click on the little icon above where you type your message, the icon looks like a tree with black lines around it. When you click on that it will ask you to select the location from your computer. Hope that helps

Cheers

Ross

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed Tam, your first Sika as well, summer spotted coat pretty looking beast completely different to the rut when they have been wallowing. If everyone was like you it would make life easier. See you soon,

John

PS got your sticks and they are waiting for Davie to collect them.

Its even further for me when I visit in October!!

12 hours from door to door!!!

Well done with the first stag boom boom, I hope I get as lucky as you!!

To add a photo click on the little icon above where you type your message, the icon looks like a tree with black lines around it. When you click on that it will ask you to select the location from your computer. Hope that helps

Cheers

Ross

Look on the bright side Ross, the midges will be away by then :D

John

as i was climbing up i had just sat down when i looked out in front not 90 yards away an 8 point sika stag was standing looking at me as i slowly reached for my rifle he walked into the forest:( after i stopped shaking and calmed down 1 hour later he appeared 150 yards up the ride i got the crosshairs onto him but he just wouldnt settle to give me a shot,

Tam

Glad to see the sika up north are behaving normally then...

Bit different to stalking roe aren't they?

Look on the bright side Ross, the midges will be away by then :D

John

Lets hope they are!!! I will be fully stocked up with my repellants, head nets etc etc. I am sure the buggers will still get me!!

I am looking forward to it very much John.

Cheers

Ross

Me and Tartan Jock where up there (on Johns other ground) at the week-end, got eaten alive. I have 43 bites on one knee, dern't look at the other knee, little buggers crawled right up past me very long socks and had a feast....
Cracking bit of ground.
The highlight, apart from Sheila's scones and tea was TJ filming 3 pinemartins playing in front of him, he's supposed to be putting the film on here when he gets around to it.
Cracking good place even with the midgies. Ta John

Alan,

glad you enjoyed it mate, maybe try later when the midges are gone, there will be no need for you to give them all blood poisoning :D

John

Nice write up and well done, aren't they an amazing animal.
Tony
yes tony they really are truely amazing the colours were fantastic

yes davie id go back in a minute infact if you dont get that 8 pointer on your visit i might
be back up lol

wow Ross you must be keen 12 hour drive i thought i was bad with 4 never mind im sure
it will be worth it good luck

cheers John il let davie know

hi jamross65 yes they are defo ,the first hind i saw was lovely but when i saw the stag wow
even if it had stood to give me a shot iwouldnt have been able to shoot for shaking:lol:

hi Alan john had told me there were 2 other guys shooting the other area were you camping:cuckoo: :lol:
how did yous get on did you have any luck

cheers tam

Last edited:
Back