Custom Printed OS Maps

User00004

I was given the info about a Custom Printed Explorer OS Map, I have never used it before but I have ordered one now after seeing one.

You just need the place/postcode/Grid Ref and you can centre the whole map around that.

Very handy for getting your permission on one map!!

Custom Map

TJ

I use get-a-map with OS. you can draw routes at boundaries, choose the scale and area and then print off and laminate for permissions.. its very good if your taking the missus out for a walk too just to quickly print out a map.

You back at in CG any time soon??

If u want to have a look at get a map, drop me a text.

Is there a cost or subscription for OS get-a-map?

yes, cant remember how much, its a yearly subscription but well worth it in my opinion, because if your away somewhere, you can print off a map on spec and with the price of OS maps, you get your money back quickly..

Ok basic question.. recently we were looking at some land and 'google earthed' it, is it possible to get all of the required information before you actually go over to see it i.e. the exact amount of land in acres / metres, boundaries etc.?

TIA

Martin

If you are wanting to buy some maps give serious consideration to the products these people offer, they will do a custom site centred map and it always seems very expensive but their waterproof coating is excellent and it means the map lasts a long time. Another huge advantage with the waterproof coating is that you can write on it with a permanent marker and then wipe the writing off using a little solvent. So, you can mark your maps up in the comfort of your house and the writing will not wash off in the rain but with a little solvent you can easily remove it. I wouldn't be without their maps now and use them quite often, mostly while fishing remote trout lochs in the Hebrides.

http://www.aqua3.com/

Must be just me but when I try my N. Ireland postcode on either of the 2 previous links-it doesn't work. I searched for 'Belfast' thinking that would be easy found and the OS custom site brought Chester up in the preview. Any other guys from NI have any problems with these sites?

Last edited:
Must be just me but when I try my N. Ireland postcode on either of the 2 previous links-it doesn't work. I searched for 'Belfast' thinking that would be easy found and the OS custom site brought Chester up in the preview. Any other guys from NI have any problems with these sites?

Despite the fact that we paid for the OSNI to gather the data they are especially reluctant to release it so that we can get the benefit of it. This, I suspect, was why we also didn't appear on satnav systems until relatively late in their development as the OS wouldn't give them the data.

What makes this remarkable is that Ireland was the first country in the world to be fully surveyed so it is somewhat ironic that its citizens find their access to the data they paid for is more restricted than in other parts of the UK.

I can get mapping for my handheld GPS for the most remote parts of Scotland but can't get a map of my home town.

Smartphone users could also use an app called Viewranger. This software is excellent as it lets you download individual map tiles relevant to where you need them as an ordnance survey map at whatever scale is available. You can then use it to track your movements and is also handy for navigation if you want to know exactly where you are.

There are some decent online tools but it will always be difficult to get good quality OS extracts completely for free, especially at a quality which you could print or reference from. The reason for this is that OS maps are heavily protected by crown copyright.

I use Memory Map. You can get the standard OS maps (explorer 1:25k and land ranger 1:50k) for it. Then print whatever you want. Mark up the map on your computer with boundaries, notes etc.

Its available to buy online, but you can also get it off the good old t'interwebs by the usual less than legal methods.

Back