The country this chap fought for is long since gone.

What an extraordinary man! Not sure what you mean by the country being gone though?

The land is still there, just the values (??) and attitudes of the population has went in the toilet for the most part.... Same with America and Americans....... Sad to see these folks pass. Was lucky enough to spend a couple weeks in Normandy during the 50th Anniversary Ceremonies where I was in daily contact with the real feet on the ground folks while they were still young (er) and fit. I wouldn't trade those 2 weeks for anything in the world....

The land is still there, just the values (??) and attitudes of the population has went in the toilet for the most part

Daven, with the greatest respect, not sure why you feel qualified to comment on the state of the society in the UK?

Maybe not for the most part... But just look around you and read some forums and watch some TV..... Just saw something on the news yesterday on a program (maybe documentary?) about an area somewhere in the UK called Benefits Street. With your media putting that kind of stuff out for the world to see, don't be surprised when the world comments. Same things happen in America and other countries and outside folks comment on them... Just the way it is....

By being alive he's "qualified" to comment as all are entitled to their own opinion.

Whether you agree with his opinion is another matter?

he is a American living in Germany. I don't comment on German society and try to avoid commenting on America as I have only visited and never lived in North America for longer than six months. Opinions are generally better informed when they come from direct experience rather than what you've seen on TV. Don't you think?

he is a American living in Germany. I don't comment on German society and try to avoid commenting on America as I have only visited and never lived in North America for longer than six months. Opinions are generally better informed when they come from direct experience rather than what you've seen on TV. Don't you think?

Don't take things personal.... It's just an observation and I make the same observation of my own country.... By far not all, but it is what the media lets out to the rest of the world.... You shouldn't be upset with me for commenting on things, you should direct your anger (??) to the media and folks that put the impression out for the world to see and clean up "their" act and image they portray..... Don't make this into an argument to take away from the valor of the guy the post was originally about.

Dear all

i visited the invasion beaches for the 60 anniversary with the Military Vehicle Trust, in a Dodge Comand car, what all these guys did British, Canadian, American and commonwealth forces
Airforce, Navy and Army is one of the free worlds greatest achievements
For my part thank you to all of them

Dodge

What an extraordinary man! Not sure what you mean by the country being gone though?

He means that aside from the general lack of values and respect for others people on this island have these days, there would be no way any of those missions could take please these now as the risk assessments and training required would mean that even if they were allowed you'd need full hi-viz, hard hats and other PPE, and the planning would take so long that by the time you got round to it they'd be two years too late and half a million quid over budget!

He means that aside from the general lack of values and respect for others people on this island have these days, there would be no way any of those missions could take please these now as the risk assessments and training required would mean that even if they were allowed you'd need full hi-viz, hard hats and other PPE, and the planning would take so long that by the time you got round to it they'd be two years too late and half a million quid over budget!

Youre probably right!

i think there was a totally different mindset in that generation something that has been diluted through the years eg the scum that steal war memorial plaques to sell for scrap and desecrate churches and graveyards for similar something i doubt would have happened in that chaps generation
blokes like that deserve our respect and admiration , i'm sure there are others doing similar these days but they remain unsung heroes for many different reasons

As in previous similar posts we do not give enough praise to such heroes and wonder if they would have had as much love for the country if they knew how it turned out. Too many multiracial dogooders out there that cannot recollect what our forefathers have fought and died for us to have what used to be a great country. We are now at a point of saturation of foreigners that are coming over here for social handouts and bleeding the health service dry after not putting anything into the pot and we all allow it. Try going to say Bulgaria and get social security and child allowance, free health care, free school meals free dentists free housing.and see what they say to you. Also a police force that cannot send you back home if you destroy your passport or tell them you want to stop in the country oterwise if you go back they will eat your hamster.

I have just returned from Germany after 13 years out there. I have visited the areas where the US are stationed in Bavaria and also mainly British forces Germany. Daven I agree however even Germany has areas like benefit street, I fact my ex was from that kind of family......so it's everywhere. THE GERMANS DONT HANG THERE DIRTY LAUNDRY OUT FOR ALL TO SEE.

The UK has changed and people are more out for themselves and a lot of the community spirit has gone.

in the US where I visit regularly the community spirit is still there.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

By being alive he's "qualified" to comment as all are entitled to their own opinion.

Not specifically in relation to Daven at all, but does anyone else actually believe this rather extraordinary point of view? Having an opinion is hardly a qualification attesting to its validity in any meaningful sense at all, is it?

Certainly people can't be prevented from holding opinions, and sometimes these might be ones they've come up wth themselves, after carefully considering all the relevant information: however, I can't help but feel that a healthy climate of scepticism and robust (though not rude or unkind) criticism should be maintained to prevent the airing of the more absurd and unsupportable ones.

Back