To Blaser or not?

Border

Every so often(and usually after mates have upgraded their kit) I get the urge to change some of mine. I currently have 2 deer rifles, a Sako 75 (6.5x55) and a Rem 700 (.308W). I have often said that if I was to start from scratch I would go for a Blaser R93 professional in 308W, however I can't bring myself to sell off the old rifles(with a loss) just to get the Blaser. I totally get the whole Blaser thing with its modular build and proven accuracy level but also think that they are still a bit pricey as regards scope mounts and extra barrels/22LR kit.
I was just wondering if any other forum members have bought Blasers and then regretted it and gone back to more conventional turnbolt actions?
I know that all rifles go bang and should kill any deer in front of them but when a die hard traditionalist like JayB takes the plunge you got to wonder.
Dont think we'll see Muir with one though.........

Border - you must always keep in mind that Jayb is.... well I like to think of him as 'special' :D

Try putting your Sako 6.5x55 up for sale and start counting down from 5 - that may give you an idea of other's views on that rifle.

Seriously, rifle shooting is a brain game. Sharing views etc is what SD is all about, but all comes down to what you are happy with in your mind - if that doubt is there it will only go one of two ways! ;)

Never regretted buying my blaser its smacked enough deer over this week to justify itself
HME has one for sell on this site it come on last night an R8 top man to deal with also
regards pete

To a greater extent I think that you get what you pay for and all the quality makes are expensive. When I upgraded from a very well worn S/H Voere to a S/H Blaser r93 it was because I was shooting inadequately and needed to eliminate any rifle based issues. Since then I have traded the r93 in for a new r8 which I prefer to the older design. I certainly wouldn't go back to a turnbolt having got used to the straight pull and can add new calibres when finances are available. I looked at the .22 conversion but decided to get a Cz452 instead. atb Tim

I was just wondering if any other forum members have bought Blasers and then regretted it and gone back to more conventional turnbolt actions?

Nope - sold my Sako 75 in .308, bought a Blaser in .243 then another in .308 and can't see why I'd ever go back to a turnbolt.

Blasers have their faults, but so does any rifle....the biggest one of which is having to put up with the nay-sayers and their constant jibes of "over-engineered, over-priced, Teutonic rattle-boxes" - the problem is theirs, not yours.

willie_gunn

Not at all. I agree with W-G, I now have 3 R93's and was tempted by a Sauer 202 recently but ended up buying another R93. Reference an R8, I resent the incompatibility with the R93 barrels and loss of stock/barrel flexibility with my existing guns, also don't understand the price hike given quality and accuracy comparable to R93.

Over the years I've had various turn bolts: .222 BSA CF2, .25-250 Lakelander, .243 Ruger No1, .243 Sako A2 (Nice), .223 Remi, 7mm RemMag Ruger stainless - it's really only the Sako I have fond memories of.

But I now rate my synthetic stocked Blasers (Professional OR and LRS2) - they just do what they say on the tin and no faffing about. When they get wet.. take 'em apart, dry, put them back together and the 'scopes come off to go in the cabinets and over the years they've not lost zero. They shoot as well off anything be it 'pod or window or bag or rock whatever.....I don't even think about it. Need a new rifle.. just buy another barrel.

And they're light to carry around (Apart from the LRS2!) I don't notice any recoil as they're fitted with moderators.. even with the 7mm RemMag. I've got a kick-stop butt weight but it's not fitted.

I do still have turnbolts in a Finnfire .22 (superseded a 10/22 - did have alot of fun with that though) and a CZ452 .17HMR - these are also a joy to use and I'm just looking to go for a .20cal which is looking like it will have to be a turnbolt..... I see that Blaser now do a 204Ruger barrel for the R8 but I won't be going down that path. .so I've emailed Blaser to see if they will do an R93 barrel in a 20 calibre - preferably Tac or even Prac. (We'll see.. at least they haven't said an outright No Way yet).

's me 5p's worth.

atb

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:
I bought an R93, it was the last rifle I bought before the great divoce giveaway sale.

On the plus side; They are weatherproof and very durable, short and handy due to the lack of seperate chamber and really very accurate for a production rifle. They have to be just about the ideal deer managers rifle. The de-cocker is wonderful too, great if shooting in company. If you need to travel they are easy to take down and you can wander through an airport with a small suitcase that will not provoke worried glances from the general public.

On the nay side I will admit that the Blasers have little fiddly springs on the magazines and I worried about their durability, but during my all be it brief ownership of one I had no cause to complain. And somehow they are a little souless compared to a turnbolt. I do wonder how many Blasers will be in constant use in 20 years time.

The only rifle that I wish I had not parted with was a Sako 75 Finnlight, and I would have had that semi-customised.

On the whole I like Blasers.

Simon

Die hard traditionalist! Bloody hell Toby am I? Well I did go Blaser and I have no regrets, I blame that man Macleod in Tain he tempted me. I am quite happy with them, they seem to fit me quite well and are easy to shoot, the cocking system makes them as safe as you can get. I do still have turn bolt rifles though, do it you know it makes sense :D

John

I think a Blaser makes and ideal rifle for someone who just wants to go stalking and who wants to make life as easy for themselves as they can. If you want to tinker or want to make your rifle your hobby then the Blaser isn't so good as there is little or nothing you can do to it and it will just work. For me the fact that it is so easy to live with is the major factor in its favour and, to be honest, you need to own it for a few years before you start to appreciate just how easy it is to travel with a Blaser, or to deal with one after a day in the driving rain. Being able to carry it through the airport in something that looks like a brief case and, when you arrive, having it easily fit in the boot of even the smallest car really makes a big difference to keeping life simple. Watch people with gun cases nearly 6 feet long try to fit 3 of them, plus their two mates and other luggage, into the Nissan Micra they hired and it isn't long before you wonder why everyone doesn't buy a Blaser. Add in the fact that mine is in a "common as muck" cartridge, 308W, and living with a rifle just doesn't get any easier.

Not at all. I agree with W-G, I now have 3 R93's and was tempted by a Sauer 202 recently but ended up buying another R93. Reference an R8, I resent the incompatibility with the R93 barrels and loss of stock/barrel flexibility with my existing guns, also don't understand the price hike given quality and accuracy comparable to R93.
I think that the lack of compatibility on the barrels is because they have been strengthened at the breech and are different dimensions, the price hike I would guess is down to "opportunity pricing". atb Tim

Own both a .223 Rem and a .270 Win R93 both with the Pro. L/H stock. They're great, no regrets !
The .223 has the 22mm Jagdmatch barrel which reduces recoil "no end". Almost like shooting an air rifle, unbelievable ! So much so that I'm considering swapping the fluted standard barrel on the .270 for a .300WM Match barrel although I understand I would have to have the stock enlarged to accommodate the wider barrel plus the mag bolt head of course.
Also considered the LRS 2 stock which I've shot but Heck, what a weight !

Brider.

Last edited:
Bought my R93 offroad over 10 years ago have got .243 7x57 30-06 barrels for it and i wouldn't go back to a turn bolt because it shoots dead straight what ever barrel is on it and it see's all weathers from rainy Scotland to the hot African plains to freezing in Croatia its dead reliable and if the target doesn't drop its me not the gun and thats the main reason i love it Confidence
Drag

So you will be down here for the roe bucks and moose hunting with a Blaser. Go on Toby you know you want to.

Hi Toby,get one you know it makes sense :lol:,i did and although it's the r8 i am completely converted,can't say much that the others haven't already said,yes they are expensive but i can't see me ever needing anything else so i've probably saved myself money in the long run,well that's what i told the misses,i went for the thumbhole sucsess and i find it really comfortable to use and extremely accurate,if i did buy another complete rifle it would be the same so i had two stocks.
ATB Neil.

Bought my R93 offroad over 10 years ago have got .243 7x57 30-06 barrels for it and i wouldn't go back to a turn bolt because it shoots dead straight what ever barrel is on it and it see's all weathers from rainy Scotland to the hot African plains to freezing in Croatia its dead reliable and if the target doesn't drop its me not the gun and thats the main reason i love it Confidence
Drag

Thats the word is was looking for, mine was running with water the other weekend, coverered in clay type orange mud and just a bit of blood for good measure:rolleyes: stripped it right down, cleaned it, put it back together and took it out and neck shot a Fallow doe fawn without ever doubting the rifle.

Wayne

Hi Toby
You helped me a lot when I came to Norway after giving up my hunting in Scotland and selling my Sako 85 270win. Now I am hunting again here in Norway and enjoying it like never before :)
When I came here and got my hunters licence I then had to start over again so it was off to Jakt & Friluft to see what I could get ! My first purchase was a brand new Blaser R93 pro in 6.5x55 which I have found to be an excellent choice very accurate and very easy to shoot especially with a mod . I have since added a new barrel a 300 win mag which with a moderator fitted is a nice rifle to shoot also and very accurate as well .
So the question do I regret buying a blaser ??? No I love my blaser it is a lovely rifle easy to use easy to clean and you can get as many calibers as you like here in Norway :)
When I bought mine it was only a little bit more expensive than a brand new Sako 85 so get yourself off Gjøvik and see what deal you can get :)
Sure you will make the right choice Toby :)
Karl

I have stalked with many clients over the years, I have had three client rifle failures in that time. Two were blasers, albeit older models that the 93, one Remington. I have used my own and estate Sako rifles,(bought my first one in 1976) for nearly 40 years. Never a glitch. If something isn't broken I tend not to fix it.

There is a bit of a joke down here that you get a handbag & sex change with every Blaser purchase.
I have yet to find evidence to doubt this.

Cheers Sharkey

Back