Loch Lomond a year in the wild

Possibly an estimate but they dont mention the grallochs seeing them through the winter? Any programme that gives wildlife "names" is edited by townies.

I'm stalking this week up near there. One place we go we leave a carcass or grallochs for the eagles.

Thanks for the reminder - saved me trolling the SD for a while, and I learned a bit!

50 eagles? 200,000 red deer in the National Park, Mountain hares rare? a few mink left in the National Park really ?
Bluebells in England yes in Scotland they are wild Hyacinth, Scottish Bluebells are what the English call Harebells
Glenample river its a burn!

Where do they get these people, pity really as the photography is superb and it had the potential to be an informative programme, spoiled by half truths and inaccuracies.

And the Red Kites were filmed on Argaty estate which i think is outside the LLTNP and is a tourist trap profiting from artificial feeding.

Stunning. But it's clear that a lot of the "facts" and knowledge of the area is from those not involved in it day to day and with the "library" shots of the red kites taken elsewhere, from the contributors above.

But this is normal British television fare. Figures given by partisan organisations are taken for granted, especially where it makes good telly and they can't spend too much time on research or employing knowledgeable people. So, as I often say, when you watch the telly and other subjects are on, be it politics, the NHS, police, or anything you might know little or nothing about, be sure to use the same big dollop of cynicism because it will also be full of half truths and language that makes "good telly".

50 eagles? 200,000 red deer in the National Park, Mountain hares rare? a few mink left in the National Park really ?
Bluebells in England yes in Scotland they are wild Hyacinth, Scottish Bluebells are what the English call Harebells
Glenample river its a burn!

Where do they get these people, pity really as the photography is superb and it had the potential to be an informative programme, spoiled by half truths and inaccuracies.

Typical of TV producers - never let the truth spoil a story!

Although we all know there is a lot of bad information being put out, the pictures show what one might be able to see if they venture out.

The only thing one can do is know what is true and ignore the ignorance of the station, for all known to be otherwise.

Lovely photography but spoilt for me by the 'it's thought that up to 50 (golden eagles) are poisoned annually'. And the comment re killing of Red Kites by to protect sheep and game birds. The script was straight out of a rspb/lacs/rspca propaganda leaflet. And the cute naming of a pair of wild Ospreys. Aaahhh. Why don't TV companies challenge script writers to justify contentious statements, and did John Hannah challenge these statements or merely pocket his huge cheque without question?
Amazing to see the hind duffing up the small calf though! Very violent.
But too cheesy for me I'm afraid.

Well dwell on this for a minute there are a 100 pairs of Golden Eagles in the UK 99 of which are in Scotland
is that a 100 breeding pairs or does it include juveniles an eagle lays two sometimes three eggs but rarely does more than youngster survive.

Their figures don't stand up to scrutiny if 50 eagles were being killed every year that would be just about the annual incrutment add in natural mortality and their numbers would be in severe decline.

Are they though no they are holding on and in fact recently there has been a modest increase in numbers.

No these programmes spout this nonsense and the general public lap it up as fact.

Nice bit of parental deer behaviour filmed though when the lost fawn tries to run to another hind for safety. Bamby took a beating!

I agree with Kes, and Pedro my ears pricked up at the same point and its a shame. I have worked with a few TV companies over the years and the story board is the gospel. I have argued to the point of exasperation and been told more than once its TV, its entertainment and not for those few percent who now anything about it and we are footing the bill. On the whole I enjoyed the programme but find the posts from all you guys who know the ground very informative. thanks, Tom

Nice bit of parental deer behaviour filmed though when the lost fawn tries to run to another hind for safety. Bamby took a beating!

Yes that's true good photography, but another inaccuracy they said that red deer calves are born in May while an odd one may by far the majority of calves are born in June a small thing I agree but they should check their facts.

Hi Apart from the crap that was spouted. It makes you think what you take for granted, your shooting, fishing, all within the national park. Stunning absolutely stunning.
Jim

Back