Sika Stags

cervus

Nice to hear my boys whistling now,and especially nice to stalk an 8 pointer and his young stag son?They are still alive...... just a golden moment especially when they were joined by a bunch of hinds and calves...it is not all about the killing to me... unlike some of my neighbours:-|

Sika rut would appear to have gone back a coup!e of weeks over the last few years, based on my experience from west coast of Scotland.

I read somewhere that sika stags call 3 times,(only heard one do it once). Out of interest, do folk tend to call them 3 times on repeat during the rut to bring them in? I've seen a few videos of folk in NZ doing it electronically but not much uk videos. Cheers!

I call twice and it works for me on most occasions. Sometimes the stags just call once, that is all you need to locate there position and try the call.

Colder weather gets them going most years but it's warm here and they have started. Had one wander into the call this week. They come to various calls, quiet squeaks, single shrieks, double shrieks and the triple. Sceery elk call is probably the best call to use, hoochie mama works too.

It's known as a triple whistle but: like the guys said they don't always do 3 so mimicking reality is thus.

No calling here in the Forest of Bowland that I have heard/of yet. It's warm here too.

I have used a screery elk call on and off for 25 years but this year am going to also try a Trophy Wife elk call to mimic a hind. A pal brought one back from the States for me having used his on our syndicate ground to good effect last year. Has anyone else tried one? Anyone able to direct me to a youtube clip of use?

Colder weather gets them going most years but it's warm here and they have started. Had one wander into the call this week. They come to various calls, quiet squeaks, single shrieks, double shrieks and the triple. Sceery elk call is probably the best call to use, hoochie mama works too.

+1

Had a strange experience a few years ago sitting with a guest when the stags were calling regularly all around us. One stag about 200m away unseen in the woods was giving a single whistle every 15-20 seconds, for about an hour continuously! It got quite funny after a while. Nothing responded to us as I think too much was happening at the time and they basically ignored everything! Heard a whistle second week of August a few seasons ago....

When you guys are saying whistle do you mean a roar? To me the hinds make a more of a whistle noise. Interesting reading though! Also, if you spook a stag, do they make the same alarm call as the hinds or different? Cheers!

When you guys are saying whistle do you mean a roar? To me the hinds make a more of a whistle noise. Interesting reading though! Also, if you spook a stag, do they make the same alarm call as the hinds or different? Cheers!

It's a kind of whistle as opposed to a roar, this clip highlights it from a distance..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjAfvm7mrXc

Unless they creep up on you and call within a few yards. then it's like a 'scream' and you soil yourself.....

Out the door with the dogs this morning to hear one giving it a good go, the first I've heard this year, a special noise :)

We moved South at the end of last year and no longer live next to a forest, normally at this time of the year I would expect to hear them of a night when we were in bed, magic!

John

Having worked for a long time with Sika it still makes my hair stand on end when I hear a stag. Always reminds me and brings a smile to my face when I think of being out with a guest and calling a big stag in. He came high stepping to within 50yds and then let go with a scream. Net result, guest more or less threw the rifle at me and legged it. The stag just looked with a with a surprised expression and disappeared into the trees.

Having worked for a long time with Sika it still makes my hair stand on end when I hear a stag. Always reminds me and brings a smile to my face when I think of being out with a guest and calling a big stag in. He came high stepping to within 50yds and then let go with a scream. Net result, guest more or less threw the rifle at me and legged it. The stag just looked with a with a surprised expression and disappeared into the trees.

An incredible experience,

Last season I got charged by a Sika stag. He took the shooting stick out of my hand with his antlers. It happened so fast I think both of us were in disbelief !
Glendine.

Last edited:
Back