Spaniels and deer stalking

DC .270

Hi all,

Does anyone have a spaniel (cocker or springer) that they use to stalk and track deer?

Not likely to be the deer stalker's first choice admitedly but I've always been keen on getting a spaniel for game work and just as a general sporting companion. Perhaps a relatively calm tempered cocker who can walk to heel and be content with prolonged quiet and slow walks may be a possibility.

Thanks,

DC

P.S. I am aware that they can need a lot of exercise - that is a plus point for me. I'm just curious to know what they are like when you do need them to keep quiet and close to heel.

Not going to say it's impossible but IMO calm,prolonged quiet and slow walks just do not fit in with the cocker/springer spaniel.
There are many breeds of dog that will work deer. There are some that can be dual dogs working both game and deer. To my mind spaniels do not fit into either category. Personally I would be looking at a lab or GWP.

Not going to say it's impossible but IMO calm,prolonged quiet and slow walks just do not fit in with the cocker/springer spaniel.
There are many breeds of dog that will work deer. There are some that can be dual dogs working both game and deer. To my mind spaniels do not fit into either category. Personally I would be looking at a lab or GWP.

Agree entirely with gazza

Another agreement with above.

I have 2 labs, a cocker and a GWP. I'm not saying the cocker would be useless at it nor would she be incapable of finding a deer, but her character, style of working etc does not lend itself to deer stalking.

I once owned a springer though that sadly was put down at 8 years old with cancer. She may have been the only exception I have owned regarding a spaniel as a deer dog. Very, very calm when asked to be and as good as any lab on ducks. Maybe there was a cross somewhere in her lineage... :-|

I have a 20 month old black cocker bitch who i use as a tracking dog. She took to it like a duck to water. She is steady to heal but i don't trust her enough to accompany me stalking as she is still susceptible to the occasional cat chase! She waits in the motor and comes out afterwards.

I would recommend a cocker to anyone but they are harder to train than a lab.

Bella Roe Buck.jpg

ATB

Rob
243Sako

Last edited:
I have a Springer and is spot on for the stalking,and tracking.Even tries a retrieve sometimes but doesnt get far.

A spaniel may not be the most suitable breed, but if thats what you want, well go for it.
They may take a bit more training than a lab or others but I can not see it being a problem.
Saying that a lot of people poo poo them for peg dogs, well my two will sit on the peg all day and not move.
IMHO it is all horses for courses, if you are in to all other shooting especially a bit of rough shooting then great.
Its what suits you at the end of the day.

ATB

Nick.

Thanks chaps.

As expected I suppose. My friend has a couple of cracking labs and you can see how they're good at turning their hand to game or deer. In all honesty it isn't an essential requirement that the dog (if, as, and when I get one) would have to stalk with me. It is good to see though that some of you have had some success and for that reason I am not entirely put off.

Thanks.

DC

My cocker is far more trustworthy when stalking than he is when gameshooting.
He will sit under a highseat silently for as long as he can see me in it and walks to heel faultlessly with the slower pace and lack of distractions from, for example, other dogs when stalking as opposed to game or rough shooting.
He takes the throat of dead deer when told to 'get on' to a shot roe and would, I am sure, take a wounded beast similarly if required.
I enjoy his company more when stalking than at any other time.
A major factor when deciding on a cocker was my opinion that a cocker would be better company than a dirty great labrador belching and farting it's way through the night when grabbing a few hours kip in the car between stalks!

Ha - I'll be the only one belching and farting thank you! Like you I don't need a dog to join in too.

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting.

DC

Perhaps I should have typed in italics with apostrophe's at each end.

I did of course mean relatively calm... for the breed.

I had a Cocker that was trained on birds and at about 3 started to work her on deer. She was like a duck to water and would sit under a seat or stalk at my side like a natural. Had a roe buck jump out in front of her at 10 yards once stalking on a woodland ride, the deer stopped to lick the air and stare at us trying to work it out, her whole body was quivering but she remained rock solid. She would always find the runners or lost deer for me, the only thing she would not do was indicate, but you cant have everything.

Spaniels for deer stalking well most have said it ( NO ) plenty of reasons but they are the Wrong colour to mobile highly strung and as with SAKOS,s video they are at time out of control.

I had a FTCH cocker, when i retired her from trials i used her to track deer,I would never leave her to hold a deer, thinking that she would have got hurt, but she would follow a blood trail fine.

I stalked with a springer for 8 years while I was contracting and shooting large numbers it's down to how well trained your dog is

my little cocker Buster will sent deer follow a blood trail walk by myside & not move untill he is told he trys to retrive its the size off the hart not how big the dog is lol great little stalking lad I just don't like his white chest

Photo373.jpg

Back