Do you clean your rifle after each outing?

How often do you clean your rifle barrel

• Total voters

RickoShay

Have seen many posts over my time on SD asking the ultimate 'marmite' question (less the 6.5x55 is the perfect UK deer cartridge..).

So a quick poll with some options, just be honest and true and let's see how it turns.

Cheers

If I've been stalking I'll just pull a bore snake through, but do a decent clean when I've been to the range and put a number of rounds down.

Cheers
i.

Had no real hard and fast rule with the .22 R/F and the HMR but always gave them a wipe over at the end of the day.Tended to look after the CF rifles a bit better.
​And then every now and again I would go mad and strip and clean them all thoroughly

I can't believe the highest rating is full clean, carbon, copper, etc. after EVERY outing,,it really is not necessary, there is NO point..I can only assume the majority of respondents just 'like to do it' to feel they're working on their firearm,,,,because in all honesty, it's a waste of time...every 5-10 outings (shot number and weather dependant) is more than fine to avoid any corrosion or pitting..

I can't believe the highest rating is full clean, carbon, copper, etc. after EVERY outing,,it really is not necessary, there is NO point..I can only assume the majority of respondents just 'like to do it' to feel they're working on their firearm,,,,because in all honesty, it's a waste of time...every 5-10 outings (shot number and weather dependant) is more than fine to avoid any corrosion or pitting..

Exactly the reason for the poll. Some might argue that corrosion, which is pitting, happens quite rapidly made worse by damp conditions and condensation. There may be other reasons too; such as reloaders who apply a consistency mark for themselves; sharpshooters who have 'always done this'; stalkers who are not out everyday; others who are out everyday; keepers who don't have time in amongst all the other tasks etc.

Am interested to hear what people 'actually do' not whether it is right or wrong, or a waste of time.

Last edited:
Exactly the reason for the poll. Some might argue that corrosion, which is pitting, happens quite rapidly made worse by damp conditions and condensation. There may be other reasons too; such as reloaders who apply a consistency mark for themselves; sharpshooters who have 'always done this'; stalkers who are not out everyday; others who are out everyday; keepers who don't have time in amongst all the other tasks etc.

Am interested to hear what people 'actually do' not whether it is right or wrong, or a waste of time.

I use a slightly different regime on each calibre:-

.243 Blaser r8 - clean to high standard after each use, why buy a premium quality accurate rifle and risk it deteriorating by neglect ?

.17 HMR CZ 452 - again cleaned after each use unless less than 10 shots fired in dry conditions, the ammunition malfunctions in this calibre are well documented and the opinion that I had from someone in the gun trade was that infrequent barrel cleaning may sometimes be the cause, so another risk to avoid.

.22 rf CZ 452 - This is the one getting the heaviest use at the moment as both myself and my teenage son are using this for range work. Unless it has been exposed to moisture all this usually gets is a wipe with an oily rag to remove finger marks and a barrel & action clean every 100 - 200 shots.

It may be a coincidence but the Blaser shoots the tightest groups, followed by the .17 hmr.

atb Tim

Cleaned the Mauser M03 after having fired about 300 rounds. Won't get cleaned again till after moose hunting. A squirt of bore foam and a rodding and it was like new again. I shoot that rifle on the range till its too hot to touch the barrel. Doughtfull i will ever wear out the barrel in my life time. If i do well just buy another barrell. Simple.
​Never ever clean the barrell of the .22 just a wipe over.

Not a category in the poll that applies to me .22 gets a wipe over if its been out in the wet, barrel has never been cleaned in over thirty years.

Full bore really only clean the barrel when it stops shooting to POA.

I full clean my stalking rifle and the same with target , I had it beaten into me during basic training and its stuck! for my .22 I do the barrel around every 50 shots , spay oil on the action then wipe it down .

I've just purchased my .223 from John Carr a well known and respected gun smith and as part of the deal he mounted my scope and zeroed it and gave it a full clean in front of me to learn me the correct procedure,he also told me to clean it after 40 to 50 rounds in fact he's told me to take it back to him so he can clean it again and adjust my trigger if I require it but 40 to 50 rounds is what I'm told so that's what I'll do.

So the first shot is from a cold clean barrel every time.

+1. I voted 3 cos it's the closest to my personal regime, which is: rifle from cabinet = clean and lightly oiled. Rod out with meths patch prior to going out = cold, clean barrel. Rifle fired, either on range or at quarry then it gets a 'full' clean to get all copper, carbon and crud out; inspected for damage, loose screws etc, lightly oiled and returned to cabinet. Rifle not fired then it is again inspected for damage etc, lightly oiled and returned to cabinet.

Back