Sako A1 .223

PATHnz

I work in the bush and wanted a short/light/robust rifle to carry around to shoot anything that pops up. Found an old Sako A1 .222 action in pretty rough shape, had it tidied up and cerakoted, and an 18" Criterion stainless 1:8 twist barrel screwed on, chambered in .223. Found a factory stock and installed a Sako factory peep sight and a front sight. Am changing the front sight bead for a square topped blade for a better sight picture. Here's a short film overview of the rifle and some wallaby hunting with it, enjoy

Very nice rifle mate. I do think rifles look better without scopes like. What range were those wallabies roughly taken at? Cameras always make it look further

Very nice rifle mate. I do think rifles look better without scopes like. What range were those wallabies roughly taken at? Cameras always make it look further

Wallabies were shot between 70 and 210 metres, I shot 10 in a couple of hours, the ones on film I think were 120-150 ish metres.

Cracking shooting mate. Can't fault that at all. Another great video by the way.

Oh and dodgyrog, no idea if they are a pest but they do taste pretty good.

Three things I took from the video....

1) No need to wear cammo to the range :D

2) No need to wear cammo hunting wallabies :D

3) Wallabies go down hard when hit with a 77gr .224 SMK

I was very much surprised in the difference between it and kangaroo which, coincidentally, I ate last night. I find kangaroo quite mild tasting but then again I've only had it from frozen whereas I have had wallaby fresh from the larder.

97BE4EB5-4501-4CD4-B4DD-7AC62608A233_zps9wwdinbk.jpg

Shot some baby feral goats with it today in a river

Great shooting. You're good with those sights. Looks like a lot of fun. A fast twist 223 would be interesting for sure.
I love the little Sakos, have two and have owned a few more in the past.
The ones I currently have are AI Hunters in 17 Rem and a wildcat 20 caliber called the 20 Extreme.

Great shooting. You're good with those sights. Looks like a lot of fun. A fast twist 223 would be interesting for sure.

Thanks!

the plan with the fast twist is to shoot 70gr ish bullets, either the Barnes TSX, Hornady 68gr BTHP, or similar. Will get around to handloading some eventually

That is a very handy set up . I had an A1 that was set up almost identically , only chambered in 222 Rem . I used it for Coyotes for many years . Predictably , and regrettably , I traded it off for something else that I " had " to have . Nice rifle and good shooting . It's nice to see a practical , simple and iron sighted rifle being used these days , we have similar tastes . You will definitely like a flat topped post on your front sight , it will give you a more definite sight picture .
I'll be putting together something similar in concept right away ( with conquest 1's help lol ) only it will be a Mauser 98 chambered in 358 Win . Same concept , but for big , toothy things . Great video too .

AB

Back