winter gloves

Mungo

Having just thrown away a pair of allegedly water proof gloves that completely soaked through just walking around in a light snow storm, I'm looking for a decent pair.

What would people recommend? I'm not to worried about warm, but really want something that stays waterproof - or holds warmth when wet.

Sealskinz with the leather palms are good - not too thick and reasonably warm. Frustratingly just lost one of mine so will have to cough up the money for a new pair.

Sealskinz with the leather palms are good - not too thick and reasonably warm. Frustratingly just lost one of mine so will have to cough up the money for a new pair.

+1 I use them all year round in winter just slip a pair of thin running liner gloves underneath just to keep the trigger finger from getting cold

Millet Mits, had a pair when I was a teenager, the wife got me a pair for my birthday, still fantastic! Not at all waterproof but being wool they're still warm when soaked through.

Re : Winter gloves -

I am not sure exactly if the following gloves will suit your purpose,

I use MacWets a lot, they are excellent gloves, comfy, but not waterproof, not Winter warm, but they help keep the windchill away.

I also use Narrona Finnskogens ( goretex ) and i have a pair of the sealskin shooting gloves.

I suppose in the UK,
" Winter " gloves, will not be like the ' Winter ' gloves needed in say Alaska !
As -5 / -10 * will feel like Summer, compared to -45* !!
:scared:

It's a case of finding out what glove suits your needs, based on touch sensitivity, feel, thickness, warmth, waterproofness and cost.

Good luck with your search.
ATB.

I agree. These are fantastic, not too thick that you loose the use of your fingers but completely waterproof and comfy!! Certainly worth a look.

Sealskinz hunter with leather palms
+1 I use them all year round in winter just slip a pair of thin running liner gloves underneath just to keep the trigger finger from getting cold

^this!

thought I had lost mine but just found them again
Sadly my £2.50 decathlon special liners have gone walkabout due to child so will have to replace those

I find them excellent, no leaks as yet and have paddled around in peat bogs and been on hands and knees numerous times
dry slowly and treat leather when dry to keep supple

A timely thread this as I was thinking of getting the sealskinz myself as my shooting buddy has some. He said to get the sporter ones though as the thumb and fingers fold back rather than the hunters. Speak to Rob form Monarch on here as he is the cheapest I could find delivered this morning,

Stratts

Got a pair of Sealskinz shooting gloves for christmas. Never thought a glove could be that good. Its fantastic to shoot with, and waterproof and pretty warm. A couple of days ago it was really winter here in Denmark with snow and heavy cold wind and there the gloves was a little bit too thin to keep the warm. But otherwise best allround gloves ever.

A timely thread this as I was thinking of getting the sealskinz myself as my shooting buddy has some. He said to get the sporter ones though as the thumb and fingers fold back rather than the hunters. Speak to Rob form Monarch on here as he is the cheapest I could find delivered this morning,

Stratts

The only problem with the foldy finger is that they can let water in. There's more than enough feel with the normal ones for rifle and shotgun shooting.

Use Sealskinz for down here. warm and pretty hard wearing. I look after them, oil the leather etc and they still leak. Once they are wet they stay wet and are a misery to wear but they are the best i've found.

For working in the hills I now use German army flecktarn winter gloves and so far they have been dry and warm in some fairly nasty conditions only issue I had was finding them. Not quite hens teeth but........

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Seeland green gloves last year and even tho they are a little thick they are rather good , they are not fully waterproof tho

I use a pair of Ice Climbing gloves from Black Diamond. Short cuff, plenty of feel (use them on the motorbike & skiing) and tacky palms so nothing slips. Fully waterproof and good down to about -9 if you are just lying around :)

Get mine from sports direct Black Diamond | Black Diamond Arctic Mens Gloves | Gloves
usually they come up in the sale for £25!

Are they waterproof?
seems strange they wouldn't detail that in the ad

Back